Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
yes, LHR-SFO direct would be ok - but you will only then get any points based on doing LHR-SFO and not LHR-JFK-SFO.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dn212
Out of curiosity as flying this flight next week, anyone know why BA275 was cancelled today? Seems unusual for this flight to be cancelled
It looks as if BA274 on the 26th April was cancelled, and that aircraft instead operated BA274 on the 27th April (LAS - LHR). I can only assume that the outbound BA275 was cancelled to balance things out as a result of that with passengers being accommodated on other flights.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:42 am
formerly JackDann

Nightmare morning - me and my partner both GCH - I booked us on separate booking as one was HBO and one needed checked luggage and couldn't find a way to do this without splitting the bookings... what a stupid thing to do that was.

BA8751 cancelled this morning, Mrs rebooked onto the 9:40 Heathrow, i'm on the 12:15. Anyone able to find out reason for cancellation? Would this be in scope for EC261 (Under 3hrs but different airport)

Last edited by JD1905; Apr 29, 2023 at 1:56 am
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by JD1905
Nightmare morning - me and my partner both GCH - I booked us on separate booking as one was HBO and one needed checked luggage and couldn't find a way to do this without splitting the bookings... what a stupid thing to do that was.

BA8751 cancelled this morning, Mrs rebooked onto the 9:40 Heathrow, i'm on the 12:15. Anyone able to find out reason for cancellation? Would this be in scope for EC261 (Under 3hrs but different airport)
glad you are both accommodated, i don’t have a reason for the cancellation but you are entitled to duty of care to cover your train fare from one airport to the other. I don't think you get ec261 for under 3 hours.

FWIW, i always phone the gold line to get the bookings linked through 'to complete party' (tcp) when travelling on the same flight but different booking from mrs firstlight, it might have helped keep you together.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you ring up the agent will look for alternatives where you can fly together, provided you don't accept the online suggestion. May mean a later flight for both of you though, the split reservation would have the benefit of reducing your joint delay time.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:45 am
formerly JackDann

Let my partner go ahead. Frustrating that you get no compensation for a delay like this. I'm wondering whether my partner was prioritised for the earlier flight because I paid for luggage included, and my HBO fare means i've been shafted to the late flight.

We've actually got another flight to catch at LHR this afternoon, so they have gone ahead and will check bags in for that flight... hopefully I will make it.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:47 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by firstlight
glad you are both accommodated, i don’t have a reason for the cancellation but you are entitled to duty of care to cover your train fare from one airport to the other. I don't think you get ec261 for under 3 hours.

FWIW, i always phone the gold line to get the bookings linked through 'to complete party' (tcp) when travelling on the same flight but different booking from mrs firstlight, it might have helped keep you together.
Thanks for the advice on the below - in hindsight it may be a good thing that at least one of us got on the earlier flight, as we need to check luggage in for another flight from LHR this afternoon. Trying to think of the positives!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:33 am
formerly JackDann

Just departing BHD now - so if anyone is able to find out the reason for this mornings cancellation it’d be appreciated as i’ll be over the 3hrs.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:36 am

Just departing BHD now - so if anyone is able to find out the reason for this mornings cancellation it’d be appreciated as i’ll be over the 3hrs.
It is listed as FCRY, so a lack of flight crew.
thomasd21 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Barbella7
Hi all,

I just received word that BA 484 from LHR to BCN was cancelled for 1-May-23. I can’t seem to find any details on EF but also seems odd to have cancelled this early. Is there any thoughts on what may have happened here?
Apparently it is industrial action. INDN.
Barbella7 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
It looks as if BA274 on the 26th April was cancelled, and that aircraft instead operated BA274 on the 27th April (LAS - LHR). I can only assume that the outbound BA275 was cancelled to balance things out as a result of that with passengers being accommodated on other flights.
274 departing on 27th in UTC time went tech. TECY.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by EugeneW11
Any knowledge on the delay reason? Pilot just said issues at LHR delaying the outbound.
Correct, a tyre change and fuel valve issue occurred at LHR delaying the outbound. The 206 is a reactionary delay due to the late 207 for the above reasons. The aircraft couldn’t be refuelled until the tyre change was completed.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mcd1
I flew on BA545 from BLQ to LHR last night (24/04) though unfortunately arrived some 3 hours and 20 mins late. During the pre-flight briefing, the flight deck explained that the delay resulted from a technical issue encountered on the original aircraft rostered for the inbound flight from LHR, meaning the previous flight arrived some 190 mins late. It was explained that some time was taken to fix the original aircraft at LHR, though the problem persisted and hence the aircraft had to be substituted.

My flight departed BLQ 190' late, waiting briefly at the end of the runway for an arriving aircraft to land before proceeding for LHR. The flight time was expected to be 1hr 55 minutes, which is aligned with the average for the route per FlightRadar 24, though was very slightly longer as a result of needing to land on the Easterly runway as announced by the flight crew on arrival.

I would hope that I have a reasonable chance of obtaining compensation under EU261 given this? Is there anything further I should explain to BA in requesting this?
Originally Posted by mcd1
Thanks - let's hope so, will keep you posted!
It should indeed be straight forward, it is listed as 545 being delayed due to the aircraft swap on the 542 LHR-BLQ. The delay is due to a tech aircraft and awaiting the next available airframe. The tech issue was concerning emergency lighting. That will be more than sufficient info including your timings when filling out the CEDR form should they decide to be difficult.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
Just dropping in to say that BA have paid the correct EC/261 compensation for all my delays and cancellations in late March. Many thanks to this board and especially Sigwx for the extra information which I'm sure helped my claims to go more smoothly.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Would you mean the Newark flight? There are many services mentioned in this thread. A number of Newark flights have been cancelled - some at short notice, many cancelled long back. If the flight was still being sold in the last 3 months then it will show as "cancelled" on many websites even though all passengers would have been moved some time ago.
BA 181 cancelled again today (29/4). I was due to be on BA180 tomorrow (30/4) which was also cancelled. Any reason posted for the cancellation, assume aircraft shortage?

Was offered seats on the AA day flight from JFK but combination of downgrade from PE to economy and later arrival into T3 with car parked at T5 (and likely v late getting home with two under 4s!) means we decided to go from JFK overnight tonight in PE. From talking to BA holiday duty office this seemed like the only option to get home on Sunday in our booking class. Maybe one for EU261 thread but does choosing a different flight from that offered cancel right to compensation, given we are leaving 12 hours earlier?

Now just fingers crossed seating can be sorted so kids can sit with us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.