Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by gpp1
And here's another one. BA 2273 LGW JFK on 30 April cancelled an hour before departure. A fairly full flight so chaos ensued with exiting through immigration etc.. Staff couldn't/wouldn't provide any explanation yet the aircraft G-YMMD then flew empty to JFK? Seems odd?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That doesn't happen often, but when it does it indicates that there was insufficient cabin crew at the LGW end, but a returning crew at the JFK - so that service is best to operate. This also explains why you were not told anything (plus GGS don't think it's within their mandate). Presumably someone/thing made an announcement to know about going back to immigration? I hope you have been rebooked, may be some made it to LHR before the final Kennedy service.

As CWS states, FCRY, a lack of crew. It is an odd one as I also see TECY listed. Essentially though it is as CWS suggests. It did however suffer a tech issue int eh form of lightning strike damage which delayed its return out of JFK. MMD was also the frame that caused the overnight postponement of the 2065 to MRU which finally departed yesterday on MMA instead.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:17 am

BA 2633 02MAY
ALC-LGW
1480km - Band 1 flight for UK261

1235 scheduled arrival
Actual arrival 1522
​​​​​

Reason for the delay given as a broken APU.
Can I assume code ZY means this is eligible for claiming?
Old May 2, 2023, 10:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
BA 2633 02MAY
ALC-LGW
1480km - Band 1 flight for UK261

1235 scheduled arrival
Actual arrival 1522
​​​​​

Reason for the delay given as a broken APU.
Can I assume code ZY means this is eligible for claiming?
ZY is rotational. If the broken APU affected the LGW-ALC then the delay would be ZO on that sector, ZY and the return. But no compensation due, you were not three hours late.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
ZY is rotational. If the broken APU affected the LGW-ALC then the delay would be ZO on that sector, ZY and the return. But no compensation due, you were not three hours late.
Is it not 2hrs for Band 1 flights under 1500km?

Edit
Sorry that's me not reading the wiki details properly. 2hrs is when Duty of care kicks in I think.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; May 2, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Old May 2, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Diamond
Anyone know what's been going on with BA525 (FLR-LHR) being canceled the last few days?

Assuming it's weather related, but when this happened a few weeks ago they did a quick ferry flight to PSA and then onward to LHR. These appear to be completely canceled even though the incoming from LHR (BA 524) was diverted to PSA.

Last edited by Blueapple; May 2, 2023 at 7:51 pm
Old May 3, 2023, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Blueapple
Anyone know what's been going on with BA525 (FLR-LHR) being canceled the last few days?

Assuming it's weather related, but when this happened a few weeks ago they did a quick ferry flight to PSA and then onward to LHR. These appear to be completely canceled even though the incoming from LHR (BA 524) was diverted to PSA.
Yes it is weather related. If you look on the app it states weather and that the flight is rerouted. The 525 exists and operates but becomes a PSA-LHR sector and thus 525 FLR-LHR is cancelled.
Blueapple likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:47 pm

Anyone know why BA188 EWR-LHR would be cancelled on June 6th? Just had the cancellation email and frustrated to be missing out on the 787-10, also messes up my plans a bit as I can’t leave any earlier and will need to now try get a flight from JFK.
Old May 4, 2023, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
It should indeed be straight forward, it is listed as 545 being delayed due to the aircraft swap on the 542 LHR-BLQ. The delay is due to a tech aircraft and awaiting the next available airframe. The tech issue was concerning emergency lighting. That will be more than sufficient info including your timings when filling out the CEDR form should they decide to be difficult.
For completeness, BA have just agreed to my claim and have promised full compensation of £220 within a week of the claim being raised - quite impressed, possibly a result of my EC status.

Thanks to all for the advice
Old May 4, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Happy to report that my EU261 claim was accepted today, 5 days after filing it (might be a record?) for the 3 hours and 3 minutes delay on BA755 back from Basel on Sunday evening. An oil leak was detected on the way in and had to be corrected. We were lucky that the crew had another sector to do after this one so they didn't get out of hours but I guess the flight to Brussels had to be cancelled in the aftermath.
I was confirmed £220 each will be paid within 14 days. Happy days !
Old May 4, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi, please could someone check why BA7808 was cancelled on 30th June 2023? This is a codeshare with Loganair LM698 on the MAN-IOM route.
Old May 4, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Crofton138
Hi, please could someone check why BA7808 was cancelled on 30th June 2023? This is a codeshare with Loganair LM698 on the MAN-IOM route.
If the Loganair flight is still operating best to phone BA and ask why they’ve pulled their codeshare.
Old May 4, 2023, 4:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It is very odd since on 30 June BA7808 is still showing for sale on ba.com, and if I look at the LM site it is showing for sale under the LM flight number LM698.

So I am really not sure why you should have received any email saying it is cancelled. Tbh it seems if you call up you should be able to be put back on BA7808.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sorry, typo, my bad. 30th May 2023 is the date I'm interested in to understand the cancellation reason?
Old May 5, 2023, 2:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Same for that date, LM still selling LM698 and BA still selling BA7808 - so I am still confused why you have received notice it has been cancelled.

Have you called BA to be put back on BA7808?
Old May 5, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi everyone - I recently got around to filing a 261 claim for a flight cancelled last year at short notice, due to the Heathrow mandated capacity restrictions - BA declined the claim, is that correct? In case its relevant I was rebooked, but on the first flight of the day that really was not convenient and I would not have booked under normal circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.