Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's (Sunday) short notice cancellations.

BA524 FLR
BA554 FCO
BA568 LIN
BA324 IBZ
BA480 BCN
BA285 SFO (United has also cancelled a service)
BA295 ORD
BA692 PVK
BA540 BLQ
BA654 CFU
BA866 BUD

Longhauls will be equipment shortage. Ditto shorthaul but the wadge of Italy related cancellations may be impacted by ATC restrictions over Reims.
gcuk likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by RichP
Hi
does anyone have any insights on BA243 being diverted pretty late into the flight to CUN? I’m on the return flight and now looking at a close to 24hr delay. The story here is volcanic ash, but from what I could see there weren’t many other flights impacted (in- or outbound).
Thanks!

It was diverted due to volcanic ash.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by A13
Just had 3.5hr notice of cancellation of BA2870 (LGW-IBZ) this morning.
Rebooked from LHR later on today. Not ideal. Looks like a lot of LGW cancellations at the moment.
Anyone know why?
Originally Posted by idlingbye
Another impacted passenger here on the 285 / 284 rotation (LHR SFO LHR 21MAY). Any insight as to the reason for the cancellation? The later return 286 for 21MAY is obviously now zerod out, and Y0 for all SFO-LHR 22MAY. Seems like a lot of people to rebook when availability is quite tight to begin with...
Originally Posted by Banie
BA655 from Corfu to LHR tomorrow (Sunday 21st May) cancelled. Can anyone share info on the reason? Thank you
Originally Posted by Dn212
Hi

Our flight tomorrow (21/5/23) BA284 SFO-LHR has been cancelled. BA tried to route us via LAX with a downgrade to club from first but a quick call to You First and we're now booked on BA286 later that day still in first (which is reporting as delayed...).

Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation? We haven't been told anything.

Also, will we able to claim compensation?

Best wishes

Dave.
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Can anyone lookup the reason why?

Curious as I’m on BA49 today and was considering flying out yesterday.

Hope impacted folks were able to find alternatives quickly.

All of the above are TECY due to aircraft serviceability issues.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by peck
Can anyone shed any light on Friday 19th May’s BA257 (LHR - DEL) please? I’ve just had an array of messages saying the return to LHR (BA256) is heavily delayed. Thanks
An oil leak led to an aircraft change at short notice, hence the delay.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's LHR short notice cancellations - the return flights to LHR will usually also be scrubbed:

BA620 LCA
BA283 LAX
BA285 SFO
BA332 NCE
BA49 SEA

Somewhat shorter list at least so far and in terms of shorthaul. I would assume all will be EC261 eligible.
Old May 22, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Exec
Hi. Does anyone have any info on BA574 Heathrow to Milan linate today 22 May. My parents are travelling on the flight and seems to have a rolling delay and now cancelled.

woul very much appreciate if anyone has any insight into the cause of the delay and cancellation?

many thanks.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by nick50000
Hi. Does anyone have any info on BA574 Heathrow to Milan linate today 22 May. My parents are travelling on the flight and seems to have a rolling delay and now cancelled.

woul very much appreciate if anyone has any insight into the cause of the delay and cancellation?

many thanks.
Rolling delay to tech reasons. Engineering unable to fix and nil spare aircraft. TECY cancellation.

BA191 today - 22May - also cancelled due TECY
Old May 22, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: Baec
Ba1345 late from jersey

Any idea if the late ba1345 today is 261 eligible? On the plus the mother in-law is enjoying the Sofitel
Old May 22, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
Rolling delay to tech reasons. Engineering unable to fix and nil spare aircraft. TECY cancellation.

BA191 today - 22May - also cancelled due TECY
thanks.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA7 HND cancelled again today
Old May 25, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hello,

Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation of BA496/20MAY LHR-PMI?. No reason given on Expertflyer.

Many thanks
Old May 26, 2023, 4:27 pm

Can someone please (yet again...) check BA946 tonight? Boarded, made it to the runway and had to turn back because Düsseldorf wouldn't let us land anymore.

BA are claiming airport restrictions which is technically true, but almost every airport closes at some paint and the flight was simply delayed too much - so surely they can't get away with that?
Old May 26, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by just_starting
Can someone please (yet again...) check BA946 tonight? Boarded, made it to the runway and had to turn back because Düsseldorf wouldn't let us land anymore.

BA are claiming airport restrictions which is technically true, but almost every airport closes at some paint and the flight was simply delayed too much - so surely they can't get away with that?
Exactly the reason stated. Whilst calls for acceptance were being made, the answer from Germany was no. However, your aircraft was running late for that service from its previous MAN rotation, delayed leaving LHR due to the melt down, so whilst a long winded process, a claim will ultimately be successful due to the ‘all reasonable measures’ clause. BA will reject your claim from the merest causal glance that these claims anecdotally tend to receive. Don’t waste time and follow the process as laid out by CWS in the main thread on EU261.

BA 1349 LHR- MAN, the first service of the day operated by your aircraft G-TTOE, was late due to late loading below wing. The BA 1399 MAN-LHR was predominantly a reactionary delay, as was your DUS which then came up against the night jet ban.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vasto1M
Hello,

Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation of BA496/20MAY LHR-PMI?. No reason given on Expertflyer.

Many thanks

TECY, aircraft serviceability.
Vasto1M likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Exactly the reason stated. Whilst calls for acceptance were being made, the answer from Germany was no. However, your aircraft was running late for that service from its previous MAN rotation, delayed leaving LHR due to the melt down, so whilst a long winded process, a claim will ultimately be successful due to the ‘all reasonable measures’ clause. BA will reject your claim from the merest causal glance that these claims anecdotally tend to receive. Don’t waste time and follow the process as laid out by CWS in the main thread on EU261.

BA 1349 LHR- MAN, the first service of the day operated by your aircraft G-TTOE, was late due to late loading below wing. The BA 1399 MAN-LHR was predominantly a reactionary delay, as was your DUS which then came up against the night jet ban.
Thanks, annoyingly the plane was only a couple minutes late in the end, but apparently got delayed massively because they had to offload electric wheelchairs (as per the pilot). I'll claim my hotel/taxi plus compensation and see what happens, but I guess this is likely going to have to go to CEDR or MCOL. Is there any kind of proof I can acquire at this point, other than Flightradar screenshots? As you say it's likely going to be a long process, and a forum message from a BA insider likely won't cut it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.