Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GOLD
BA 579 VCE-LHR 11 Jun 1655 departure boarded on time and closed the door then announced that we would have to sit for 1 1/2 hours due to storms in London which then extended to a further hour - we took off at 1927 Local and landed at LHR 2036. We had to run for our connection BA 1338 scheduled at 20.50 but was delayed to 22.44 landing at 1149 - complete farce for boarding at Gate 4 and the aircraft off stand near gate 576 all due to weather disruption I expect. When I finally got onboard the BA1338 my seat in CE was absolutely covered in what appeared to be dried animal feed which was quickly dispatched on to the floor.

I know that as it was weather disruption so EC261 isn't applicable but there was some conflicting information on Expert Flyer compared to other flight reporting sites and I found it odd that both the VCE/LHR and LHR/NCL flights show ZY which I believe means compensation would be applicable. Or have I just misinterpreted what I can see below.

Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:37 am

ZY is the short code for a rotational delay. This is a delay code as opposed to an airline generated cancellation code (3 letters followed by an N or Y). In effect what you are seeing here is the same as the statement you get on the BA app to the effect of ‘we are sorry that your flight has been delayed due to the late arrival of the aircraft from its previous flight’.

Both sets of delays will be as a result ultimately of the wether affecting Heathrow that day.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Any ideas what's up with today's BA115 (LHR-JFK) ... showing unspecified delay ( I'm on the BA172 coming back tonight which is the same aircraft )
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Any ideas what's up with today's BA115 (LHR-JFK) ... showing unspecified delay ( I'm on the BA172 coming back tonight which is the same aircraft )
I don't have all the detail, but it has returned to the stand B36. So that generally means a technical fault or a problem with a passenger or someone noticing a discrepancy on the paperwork.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't have all the detail, but it has returned to the stand B36. So that generally means a technical fault or a problem with a passenger or someone noticing a discrepancy on the paperwork.
Thanks .. still says Delay TBC on BA.com .. but Flightradar now says ETD 1641 from Heathrow .. so if that sticks then that shouldn't be too much of a delay to the return if at all

Nope .. BA115 now shows cancelled .. but BA172 shows as on time ... I presume this won't end up being the case as they'll be short an aircraft to operate it ... hmmm ( 2 cancellations LHR-JFK today .. but only one in the reverse direction )

And indeed the BA172 then got cancelled just after 3pm NY time .. I was expecting so before any notification was able to swap onto the BA114 which departs just half an hour later, so no big deal … I suspect not many will have been accommodated though, few choices offered and all flights looking pretty full even before the double cancellation so I suspect at least some folks will be spending an extra night in NY

Last edited by EvilDoctorK; Jun 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jpm81
Could someone check the reason BA1495 was cancelled today Jun 13th.

Had colleague booked on it but was cancelled and they've now been rerouted to leave from Edinburgh tomorrow.
Bump incase someone has a chance to check this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec GGL
I would be obliged if I could be informed of the reason for tomorrow's cancellation of:
LHR/NCL BA1324 15 June 07.35
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
During the day cancellations 14 June 2023

BA115 JFK - noted above
BA281 LAX

Other cancellations from Virgin, United x2 (plus a third from yesterday unresolved),
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Anyone know why BA207 LHR-MIA was cancelled yesterday (13 June)?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Would anyone be able to find out the reason for the delay on BA886 (lhr-otp) today (14/06) please? I was on the return BA887 - both legs delayed ~4 hrs. Captain did not give a reason, cabin service lead mentioned what sounded like a technical on the original aircraft but it was all very vague. Delay then compounded by no food loaded, need to decide how to pitch my complaint(s).

TIA!
Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:07 pm

Could someone check the reason BA1495 was cancelled today Jun 13th.

Had colleague booked on it but was cancelled and they've now been rerouted to leave from Edinburgh tomorrow.
Bump incase someone has a chance to check this.
WEAN - cancelled due to weather.
Jpm81 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by aet24
Would anyone be able to find out the reason for the delay on BA886 (lhr-otp) today (14/06) please? I was on the return BA887 - both legs delayed ~4 hrs. Captain did not give a reason, cabin service lead mentioned what sounded like a technical on the original aircraft but it was all very vague. Delay then compounded by no food loaded, need to decide how to pitch my complaint(s).

TIA!
The original aircraft had a hydraulic fault after leaving stand at LHR and returned to stand. There was then an aircraft swap, hence the significant delay awaiting the next available aircraft.
aet24 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyCarmello
Anyone know why BA207 LHR-MIA was cancelled yesterday (13 June)?
Aircraft technical issues - TECY
JohnnyCarmello likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bluekjp
I would be obliged if I could be informed of the reason for tomorrow's cancellation of:
LHR/NCL BA1324 15 June 07.35
Aircraft serviceability - TECY.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sigwx
WEAN - cancelled due to weather.
Thank you sir - i do find WEAN as a code amusing as a glaswegian but that's a side note.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.