Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by rjb001
Hi everyone, we are currently at INV with BA1467 cancelled this morning, rebooked on to BA1469 this afternoon (INV - LHR) now arriving 10+ hours later than the original schedule. BA have already denied the EC261/UK261 claim as last night's inbound from LHR was cancelled due to 'airport restrictions'. They have gifted 10,000 avios each. Does anyone know what restrictions were in place last night?

My partner can't check in for the new flight, the GGL team have now informed me that this is because the business class cabin is oversold and no seat is assigned for him (despite the GGL "overseas call centre" confirming 1C and 1F on the rebooking call last night). Is there any advice on tactics to minimise a downgrade / offloading? (I'm on the same booking and have been able to complete mobile check-in successfully). Thanks!
Presumably LHR is your final destination? BA could have got you to London far earlier by rebooking you onto easyJet, who have flights to London at 06:40 and 12:50. Even accounting for the time taken to get across to LHR, that would have saved you a considerable amount of time.

Obviously the complexity comes from the fact that you're booked into CE, so BA might try to argue that they wouldn't be complying with the "comparable transport conditions" requirement if they rerouted you on U2. But with BA1469's CE overbooked, it sounds like you'd be downgraded regardless of which flight you take.

So even if the underlying cause of the cancellation fulfils the first test of the 'exceptional circumstances' exclusion (that the cause is outside their control and not inherent in normal airline operations), they've clearly not satisfied the second test, which requires them to apply 'all reasonable measures' to reduce the delay.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
We were flying from AGP-LHR-GLA in Sept 2022. When we arrived at LHR our flight to GLA was cancelled. We got rebooked on another flight but were downgraded from CE to economy. Last week BA confirmed that they will pay £220 each under EU261 for the cancellation and delay. I queried the downgrade and today I was told we would be refunded £18 for the downgrade from LHR-GLA. This seems a strange amount.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mac123
We were flying from AGP-LHR-GLA in Sept 2022. When we arrived at LHR our flight to GLA was cancelled. We got rebooked on another flight but were downgraded from CE to economy. Last week BA confirmed that they will pay £220 each under EU261 for the cancellation and delay. I queried the downgrade and today I was told we would be refunded £18 for the downgrade from LHR-GLA. This seems a strange amount.
It does, but it may be correct. Have a look at the Mennens formula for the wiki, and dig out the breakdown of fares versus taxes. You're on a 30% reimbursement, but pro rata for the distance and excluding taxes and airport charges. Hence I often invite people not to ask for reimbursement of shorter downgrades, it's better to ask for a customer relations gesture (i.e. Avios) instead. Even 5,000 Avios, which I think is the minimum they offer, would have been better.
mac123 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would appreciate the wisdom of this board on this one, return sector from EZE to MAD (BA Flt No) in J Avios redemption. I received a email on Thursday night at 22.20 telling me my flight today Saturday was being changed from 14.15 to 18.05 so 3 hours and 50 minute 'delay'. Basically, can I claim anything on this as I am severely out of pocket in having to rebook my MAD-LHR sector which was on another booking.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by antipest
I would appreciate the wisdom of this board on this one, return sector from EZE to MAD (BA Flt No) in J Avios redemption.
Potentially so, I guess this is Iberia? And that your arrival time into MAD will be more than 3 hours late? It also depends on the cause of the delay, which I'm sure you can find out when you get to EZE or from the crew. Note that Iberia do not have a good record of paying EC261, it's much harder than from BA.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It does, but it may be correct. Have a look at the Mennens formula for the wiki, and dig out the breakdown of fares versus taxes. You're on a 30% reimbursement, but pro rata for the distance and excluding taxes and airport charges. Hence I often invite people not to ask for reimbursement of shorter downgrades, it's better to ask for a customer relations gesture (i.e. Avios) instead. Even 5,000 Avios, which I think is the minimum they offer, would have been better.
Alternatively point out that economy class is not comparable transport conditions and inform BA that BA must offer re-routing under comparable transport conditions (which may require BA to pay for a hotel room+food). Poor compensation for downgrades is bad as it probably increases the number of situations where the customer refuses downgrading.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Potentially so, I guess this is Iberia? And that your arrival time into MAD will be more than 3 hours late? It also depends on the cause of the delay, which I'm sure you can find out when you get to EZE or from the crew. Note that Iberia do not have a good record of paying EC261, it's much harder than from BA.
Thank you CSW, it is indeed on Iberia and I am now hoping it is more than 3 hours late! I have read your comprehensive guide but probably stupidly I cannot see what my circumstance applies to! Could you let me know exactly what I would be claiming under and the compensation rate?
Very much appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antipest
Thank you CSW, it is indeed on Iberia and I am now hoping it is more than 3 hours late! I have read your comprehensive guide but probably stupidly I cannot see what my circumstance applies to! Could you let me know exactly what I would be claiming under and the compensation rate?
Very much appreciated.
Post 1, point 11.1. It's delay compensation, and 600€ if 4 hours late, 300€ if between 3 and 4 hours.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:27 am

Can anyone make head or tail of why on earth my claim for compensation for last week's delay (see thread) has been rejected? I've read through the email several times but I'm still none the wiser!
An apology from British Airways We're very sorry for the problems you experienced when you travelled with us on 23 February 2023. I've checked your flight records on the basis of information you have provided to us. Your flight BA1403 was delayed by 92 minutes in total in arrival mainly due to aircraft rotation. Secondly BA0756 didn't fly with its full capacity due to operational reasons. Only 116 seats out of 214 seats were filled. We're sorry to disappoint you but your EU compensation claim has been rejected as your booking was transferred due to disruption from BA0756 to BA0752. Thank you for sending us your receipts. I’ve sent you a cheque for £1.65, which will be with you soon. Please don't respond to this email in the next 48-72 hours, as this may delay the payment being processed.

We value your loyalty as a Bronze member of our Executive Club, and we know how do you feel about this so to compensate your valuable time I’ve added 15,000 Avios more to your Executive Club account, and hope this goes some way towards making up for what happened.
They seem to be suggesting that because I was rebooked due to disruption, that doesn't entitle me to anything? But this makes no sense whatsoever, that's exactly when UK261 compo would kick in!

Is there any point in responding or should I take it straight to CEDR?

At least they have paid for my TfL bus and more importantly, given me 15k Avios to go away... I'll take the latter as an interim payment!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thought I’d provide a timeline as a data point.

Dec 23. Delayed flight
Jan 6. Approx date of claim submission
Feb 19. Response from BA (honored claim but for half compensation) Same day I sent a query via reply to their email requesting clarification on decision.
Feb 20. BA responded to my query
Mar 3. Direct deposit
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flarmip
Can anyone make head or tail of why on earth my claim for compensation for last week's delay (see thread) has been rejected? I've read through the email several times but I'm still none the wiser!
It's not 100% clear from the other thread exactly what happened after the Renaissance and your arrival time in where-ever. But it clearly appears to be more than 3 hours late. Moreover it appears your ticket has got mangled, and whoever processed your claim could only make out the domestic sector and was focused on that. Did you simply claim for being x hours late into BSL or whereever and used 2 sentences? Or did you focus on the MAN-LHR sector, perhaps at some length? I guess that doesn't really matter now, from their own input they have given reasons why EC261 should be paid. So reply - one sentence only, saying that your claim relates to late arrival in BSL or whereever, not LHR and is this their final answer? Then use that to go to CEDR or MCOL.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:43 am

Good morning. Flight BA2205 LGW-PUN was delayed yesterday for 24 hours. I was not on the flight but friends were expecting to be on the return from PUN-LGW which was of course also pushed back 24 hours.

What is the normal procedure for compensation for that? I had to sort them hotel stay from here in the UK. What a mess, they were offered zero guidance from BA.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:45 am

It's not 100% clear from the other thread exactly what happened after the Renaissance and your arrival time in where-ever. But it clearly appears to be more than 3 hours late. Moreover it appears your ticket has got mangled, and whoever processed your claim could only make out the domestic sector and was focused on that. Did you simply claim for being x hours late into BSL or whereever and used 2 sentences? Or did you focus on the MAN-LHR sector, perhaps at some length? I guess that doesn't really matter now, from their own input they have given reasons why EC261 should be paid. So reply - one sentence only, saying that your claim relates to late arrival in BSL or whereever, not LHR and is this their final answer? Then use that to go to CEDR or MCOL.
I arrived at BSL exactly 12h16m late on BA752 the following morning. As you say, their own paperwork and wording appears to accept that this was the case, so I'm just stumped as to how they have then decided it doesn't qualify.

Now to be fair, I did include a complaint about conformance having unnecessarily caused me to miss the connection, so perhaps that is why they have got confused but have awarded me the Avios. BA won't try and claim they can set those off (or deduct them), will they?

I'll ask for clarification.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flarmip
Now to be fair, I did include a complaint about conformance having unnecessarily caused me to miss the connection, so perhaps that is why they have got confused but have awarded me the Avios. BA won't try and claim they can set those off (or deduct them), will they?
Yes, classic irrelevance getting in the way of a simple point that you were 12 hours late. The latter you complain to BA about, the former to FT. They probably won't reclaim the Avios but if you go to MCOL or CEDR they may threaten to withdraw them in some standard text.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:53 am

Yes, classic irrelevance getting in the way of a simple point that you were 12 hours late. The latter you complain to BA about, the former to FT. They probably won't reclaim the Avios but if you go to MCOL or CEDR they may threaten to withdraw them in some standard text.
Well if it's scored me 15k Avios on top of my compo, I suppose I'll take that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.