Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: EB Skräpmetall, AY No Extra Bags for You, BA Bronze & EU261/2004 Thread
Originally Posted by AutismoSupremo
Welp, contacting BA via direct message on Twitter about our claim that’s ticking close to that 8 week deadline was a waste of time. First they said that the department involved is extremely busy, and an answer
might take a while, and then a couple of days later came back with a copy-paste answer, ie.
”We’re sorry you’re still waiting and appreciate your patience. Customer Relations haven’t forgotten about your case. They have very high volumes, which means they’re taking longer than they’d like to respond to you. They’re doing all they can to be in touch as soon as possible.”
Hard eye roll.

We were 24 hours plus late to our destination (LAX), when the rotation of a plane from DUB to LHR was late on January 5, and we couldn’t get through to transfer security in Terminal 3. The leg was supposed to be with AA, but booked through BA.

I don’t have the BA app, but apparently we had been automatically rebooked to BA (old J cabin…) a day later, although there obviously would have been other direct flights the same day (UA, DL, VS…).

Got hotel voucher for Renaissance Bath Road, but needed to take Uber to Tesco for basic toiletry items and clothes. Didn’t beg for Avios, because we usually fly other airlines within OneWorld.

I wish there was an EU/UK261 addendum that addressed the waiting game loopholes, not least BA, have found and are working to their benefit 😓
Finally filed our CEDR claim yesterday.

Had I known about the vast of knowledge in this thread, I would have asked about delay codes at the time of our automatically rescheduled flight. Thank you everyone for the help you provide us n00bs.

Even if CEDR sides with us, I don’t know how it will work as we don’t have a UK address or bank account. Can we expect any additional difficulties in this regard?
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AutismoSupremo
Even if CEDR sides with us, I don’t know how it will work as we don’t have a UK address or bank account. Can we expect any additional difficulties in this regard?
No, that's not a problem (and in this day and age it really should not be a problem). BA will have the responsibility to process any payment, and so if it comes to that, they will ask for your IBAN or USA bank numbers in due course.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:05 am

Hey folks - bit of a complicated case so I'm seeking guidance

Flight with Iceland Air leaving from Boston, connection in Reykjavik, landing in Glasgow, Scotland, UK

The night before my flight from Boston to Reykjavik I got 2 emails in a row.

First - I got an email saying the flight had a "complex-re-accommodation" and I had been re-booked onto a different flight. I was now flying Boston to Amsterdam to Glasgow. The new flight was 2 hours later than my initial flight.

*Second* I got an email from Icelandair that my flight from Boston to Reykjavik to Glasgow had been cancelled and that they were unable to automatically rebook me onto another flight - and the email instead offered me an option to rebook on another flight or get a travel voucher that 100% covers the cancelled flight.

I called to figure out which was which, and was told that my flight was indeed cancelled, but that I had been rebooked on a flight to Amsterdam. "Do you accept this new flight?"

I felt I didn't really have a choice. I accepted the new flight.

But then when I got to the airport, I saw that the initial flight that was "cancelled" was running just fine and boarding passengers! I can only assume they overbooked it and had to bump me to the last seat on another flight.

So, my flight was technically cancelled with only 18 hours notice. The new flight was more than 2 hours later, effectively making a 2 hour delay. But, my flight was never actually cancelled so there was no act of God reason for the cancellation...but it wasn't a cancellation...

So, do I have any standing for any kind of refund? I'm not positive if Iceland Air is an EU airline, but they were flying INTO the UK so.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bdward37
Hey folks - bit of a complicated case so I'm seeking guidance

Flight with Iceland Air leaving from Boston, connection in Reykjavik, landing in Glasgow, Scotland, UK
OK, well this unlikely to happen again, but it's best to be careful when you are offered these sorts of options, so reach out to Flyertalk if necessary for advice. What isn't clear from the above is whether you only got to AMS or there really was an AMS-GLA leg provided (regardless of what was offered). That issue makes a difference here. If you ended up in AMS, was that where you wanted to be? Did you try to get on your original KEF-GLA service? But yes you are covered by both EC261 (Iceland is an EEA member state) and UK261, no issue on that point.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:25 am

The rebooked flight was Boston - AMS - Glasgow so I made it to my final destination (but 3 hours later than initially booked).

I did call and ask about my original flight and they said it was cancelled - which is why I was surprised when I got to the airport and saw that it was not actually cancelled.

But good to know Iceland is covered.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

OK, so if the KEF-GLA service did run, and this was the same flight number that you were booked on, this has all the hallmarks of Involuntary Denied Boarding. In which case, assuming it was a 3 hour delay, you would be entitled to 300€. If the airline wants to hold it as a cancellation, then it's the same amount, but it would be impossible for the airline to evade payment if the flight did operate.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Can somebody please help by letting me know delay codes for BA1389 & BA67 for Thurs Feb 9th? Many thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by killaypirate
Can somebody please help by letting me know delay codes for BA1389 & BA67 for Thurs Feb 9th? Many thanks in anticipation.
far too late to know now sadly.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Today I was supposed to be on BA402 LHR-BRU deoarting 13:20, but it was cancelled and I got rebooked on the last flight at 20:05.

I went to CCR customer service desk to ask for the cancellation reason, and the agent told me it was marked as "operational reason".

I'm a novice with Expertflyer and so far can't find there the cancellation details. I would like to check if it's a valid case for claiming compensation on EC261
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Today I was supposed to be on BA402 LHR-BRU deoarting 13:20, but it was cancelled and I got rebooked on the last flight at 20:05.

I went to CCR customer service desk to ask for the cancellation reason, and the agent told me it was marked as "operational reason".

I'm a novice with Expertflyer and so far can't find there the cancellation details. I would like to check if it's a valid case for claiming compensation on EC261
It is HDLY due to a lack of staff.

Yes you are eligible for EU 261

I trust you have a BP issued for 404 as it is now oversold.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is HDLY due to a lack of staff.

Yes you are eligible for EU 261

I trust you have a BP issued for 404 as it is now oversold.
Thank you! And yes, I have the BP already
Sigwx and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
What sort of turnaround are people getting on responses at the moment? I submitted Feb 22nd and am sure I have a clear cut case (LHR-LAX-SYD misconnect, 24h delay, one pilot timed out because of engineering works on the plane and they needed a 4th on the deck).
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla
I submitted Feb 22nd and am sure I have a clear cut case
If that was 2023 I think you may need to wait a few more weeks, maybe a low number of months, see upthread for some data points. If 2022 then you better go to CEDR.
sydtogla likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If that was 2023 I think you may need to wait a few more weeks, maybe a low number of months, see upthread for some data points. If 2022 then you better go to CEDR.
Cheers CWS. Haven’t submitted one of these since 2016 and life was simpler then! Only submitted this year.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’ll be putting a claim in for yesterday’s BA985 BER-LHR. There were two of us on the booking , I paid BA for both tickets and my friend reimbursed me direct. Should we make separate claims or should I claim for both ?
Hopefully it will be a straightforward claim as Flight Crew confirmed the incoming plane had has gone tech at LHR and due to the length of time to resolve the crew had gone out of hours.

He also said trying to get anything resolved was like “ wading through treacle “!

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.