Search

BA Planned 787-10 Routes for 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TOTH2015
I'm booked into First on April 14th to Chicago on BA 297. Shows as a 781. Very excited!
Do they still have buddy dining in the new First?

A380 on BA 296 for the return
Hi,

I think on the new First, with the fixed TV screen, buddy dining is not possible ( not approved by crew although 1 poster reported here that they tried it iirc)

No problems with First buddy dining on the A380

Regards

TBS
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
BA's 787-10s don't feature crew bunks (flight crews do have them, I seem to remember) and thus there's a limit to the length of a journey they can fly on as routes beyond a certain duration require crew to have "horizontal rest". Those who know best, like MFCC or others, will fact-check me but I seem to recall that SEA/PDX are as far west as the 78X can travel to. Even in those cases, if there's a substantial delay, the crew will be operating 'at discretion'. Bottom line = we're unlikely to see a 78X on LHR-LAX until it gets crew bunks, which it might never do to be honest.
You are quite right 13901, the 787-10 has no bunks for cabin crew and SEA/PDX/DFW/MIA are as far as they go. Cabin Crew require flat rest on LAX/SFO. Even when the 781 does the former routes it can be a challenge, as even a slight delay means either looking to recrew as originals have timed out before they have even started or the use of commanders discretion which is not always guaranteed. There have been occasions recently where the F cabin has been emptied of commercial passengers in order to provide the required rest area for CC.

When the 781 was ordered, the company stated that they would be used on east coast and ME routes, hence having no bunks was not an issue.

Rgds
D1L
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:21 am

Are the 781s the only widebodys in the BA fleet without crew bunks?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by MrMB
Are the 781s the only widebodys in the BA fleet without crew bunks?
I believe some B777's also don't have them - somebody mentioned the orphan 4 class Club World aircraft that were refurbished for LGW pre-Covid but which now operate out of LHR.

Pilot37
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
I believe some B777's also don't have them - somebody mentioned the orphan 4 class Club World aircraft that were refurbished for LGW pre-Covid but which now operate out of LHR.

Pilot37
None of the GVIIx fleet have bunks.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All of the GE engined B777-200s do not have bunks.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just a reminder to everyone that BA’s plans on equipment are notoriously unreliable not to say fickle.

A 78X planned on your February trip has a good 20% chance of changing by the time you fly;

A 78X planned on your May trip has a good 50% chance of changing by the time you fly.

ive had three of my trips with planned 78X in 2022 and not a single one of them held. Other equipment also changes as Ba reworks offer and rotations and FT is full of endless “I booked this trip because it was CS and now it’s been substituted for a plane with all CW, what can I do?” (Answer: nothing)

if you are checking this thread out of interest and curiosity, that’s great. If you are checking it in order to plan what trips to book in several months from now assuming the equipment will stick, you are merely a fool…
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:21 am

Would it be suitable for flights to Male, MLE?
The last few years this route had the new CS from LHR on 777. From April onwards it now displays the CW 787-9 on the timetables.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
The last few years this route had the new CS from LHR on 777. From April onwards it now displays the CW 787-9 on the timetables.
Not really. The longest route on the 78X is, according to GCMAP, about 4,800 miles. LHR-MLE is 5,300. If you plot 4,800 miles on GCMAP you get this, and I've overlaid LHR-MLE for reference.

Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just a reminder to everyone that BA’s plans on equipment are notoriously unreliable not to say fickle.

A 78X planned on your February trip has a good 20% chance of changing by the time you fly;

A 78X planned on your May trip has a good 50% chance of changing by the time you fly.

ive had three of my trips with planned 78X in 2022 and not a single one of them held. Other equipment also changes as Ba reworks offer and rotations and FT is full of endless “I booked this trip because it was CS and now it’s been substituted for a plane with all CW, what can I do?” (Answer: nothing)

if you are checking this thread out of interest and curiosity, that’s great. If you are checking it in order to plan what trips to book in several months from now assuming the equipment will stick, you are merely a fool…
Very true. Finally rebooked our 2020/2022 Den/Lhr trip for 2023. Orig plane said 350..now 777. Watching FR they have flown all but the 350 in last year. Now they are on 781..who knows for April May!!. I just want the new club suites. . Miss the Queen of the Skies UD.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Backofthequeue
None of the GVIIx fleet have bunks.
None of the 77Es were delivered with bunks, the RR ones had a third party module installed later as the routes they were used on spread further afield to take advantage of their capabilities.

I guess if the 78X had it's legs extended and there was a business case there would crew rest area retrofit available if they were willing to splash the cash.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Door1Left
You are quite right 13901, the 787-10 has no bunks for cabin crew and SEA/PDX/DFW/MIA are as far as they go. Cabin Crew require flat rest on LAX/SFO. Even when the 781 does the former routes it can be a challenge, as even a slight delay means either looking to recrew as originals have timed out before they have even started or the use of commanders discretion which is not always guaranteed. There have been occasions recently where the F cabin has been emptied of commercial passengers in order to provide the required rest area for CC.

When the 781 was ordered, the company stated that they would be used on east coast and ME routes, hence having no bunks was not an issue.
For background, Boeing designed the 781 to operate high(er) density medium-long routes, largely within Asia and East US-Europe, and as such the standard template is without bunks. As it’s non-standard, to add them is (significant) extra cost. They were never intended for ultra-long-haul.

I think there’s a bit of testing the water with BA, using them on a few different routes to see where they fit best. Sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn’t and they switch it again. Tbh I’d probably do the same.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
They are operating LHR-DXB on BA106/7 on non A380 days.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
LHR-MLE would not work on 787-10, cabin crew require horizontal rest on this service, so bunk areas is required.
AmaaiZeg and 13901 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Family summer holiday booked for August/September 2023 in CW. At one point we had B787-10 on both the outbound to Miami and return from Atlanta. Currently we have A380 out and B777-200 (with CS) back. We await further changes over the coming months........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.