Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023 | 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
BA640 to ATH due to depart tomorrow just cancelled - 15 hours before flying. Due to the security strike had booked the Sofitel so thats more money down the drain also (my fault).
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 12:15 pm
Original Poster
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Zephyrous
BA640 to ATH due to depart tomorrow just cancelled - 15 hours before flying. Due to the security strike had booked the Sofitel so thats more money down the drain also (my fault).
Have you been rebooked to another service?
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 12:29 pm
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA KL
BA 594 LHR - Faro cancelled tomorrow. No alternatives available until 4th April. As we were only due to travel til the 7th there is little point travelling now.. Two very disappointed kids. Thankfully the trip was booked as a package so no monies lost.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 2:01 pm

BA295 to Chicago cancelled tomorrow - the 4th time this week its been cancelled!
YouFirst line very helpful in rebooking on the later 297 flight - they implied the cancellation was down to the strike.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 2:33 pm
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Off to France tomorrow (so many things can go wrong with that). Will report back how it goes.
9:30AM out of T5, straight through security. No bother.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is quite normal and there have been many posts on this over the years - Flight Status is linked to particular aircraft and if an aircraft is delayed somewhere, that delay or something related gets added to all the aircraft's future flights. It may well be that that delay evaporates with an overnight stop, but otherwise Network Control may simply allocate another aircraft to that service, something that happens to a quarter of aircraft departing LHR. So the usual advice is to look at Flight Status on the day of travel, before then the timing given is not usually useful information if the flight is more than a day away. And nothing to do with this proposed strike.
Thanks for this information. I don't believe I have ever before had occasion to check flight status so far in advance. (And since it's my daughter traveling on Sunday, I'm more anxious than I'd be if it were me, which is not anxious at all.) As you predicted, the flight is now showing as on time.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 2:56 pm
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Oh please. Im travelling on a redemption booking with my wife who has terminal cancer, going home possibly for the last time.
I was moved by your post bisonrav and all I can say is that if my experience today is anything to go by there is every reason to hope that your trip will not be affected too dramatically by the strike. Hopefully the weather improves too. Thoughts with you and your family.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 3:34 pm
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I was moved by your post bisonrav and all I can say is that if my experience today is anything to go by there is every reason to hope that your trip will not be affected too dramatically by the strike. Hopefully the weather improves too. Thoughts with you and your family.
Yes, it looks ok.

One of things you discover when this sort of thing happens to you is how many other people are touched by cancer and other diseases, and there are certainly situations that are a lot worse than ours. I expect given the volume through Heathrow, there will be many other people similarly desperate to travel, and in fact just taking a holiday after a hard year may be a lifesaver to some; this includes Unite members too I suspect.

I'm pleased that for the most part the strike seems to have had limited effect, and I hope this continues. There are ways of taking industrial action that don't cynically target families on holiday. Anyway let's see what happens tomorrow.
Zephyrous and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by visit14
Well I'm looking forward to sampling LGW-JFK next week... just after I swore I'd never fly in old CW again, let alone Gatwick old CW...
Good to see you should avoid the problems, but I am confused - why is Gatwick old CW worse than Heathrow old CW?
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 3:53 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
20 Years on Site

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Yes, it looks ok.

One of things you discover when this sort of thing happens to you is how many other people are touched by cancer and other diseases, and there are certainly situations that are a lot worse than ours. I expect given the volume through Heathrow, there will be many other people similarly desperate to travel, and in fact just taking a holiday after a hard year may be a lifesaver to some; this includes Unite members too I suspect.

I'm pleased that for the most part the strike seems to have had limited effect, and I hope this continues. There are ways of taking industrial action that don't cynically target families on holiday. Anyway let's see what happens tomorrow.
Oh my Love - my heart goes out to you.I have not walked this path yet with the man that I love - but with many others. One does see the world quite differently. I am so so sorry.
Old Mar 31, 2023 | 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have you been rebooked to another service?
Online options were poor but a very helpful person on GGL line put us on the 6:20 today.
Old Apr 19, 2023 | 12:24 pm
10 Years on Site

New strike dates announced, eight further days - 4-6 May, 9-10 May and 25-27 May. Wait for the cancellations!

Out of interest was there a summary list of the flights cancelled from last time, interested to see if my equivalent flight from then was chopped?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65329441
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023 | 12:26 pm

Rubbish. I'm flying on the 5th, hopefully BA don't cancel the long hauls!
Old Apr 19, 2023 | 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M FTL
Didnt have the intended effect last time, so not much to be concerned about.
Old Apr 19, 2023 | 12:52 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by BA850
Didnt have the intended effect last time, so not much to be concerned about.
I thought they cancelled hundreds of flights last time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.