Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with the A380 lately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Does anyone know if BA is aware of this as a genuine A380 -specific problem? Or does the A380 in fact have the same level of reliability issues as others in the fleet, but it’s just we hear more about them? After all, plenty of other aircraft were stored in the pandemic, and don’t seem to have the same problems.

Also, does BA have a plan to actually fix these issues for good, or will it just be sticking plasters for ever? After all, these issues have been going on for years now, it’s surely a little too late to still be blaming the pandemic storage as the root of the problems.
I believe it has been mentioned that all airliners are susceptible to issues after long-term storage but it's particularly noticeable with the BA A380s due to the very small fleet and the extremely tight schedule they fly. In the past a 747 could have stepped in for an A380 if necessary but that is obviously no longer an option.

I would imagine various storage related issues will be addressed as the fleet cycles through routine minor/major maintenance plus refits in a couple of years time.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by bernardh
I am CERTAIN that I prefer an on time flight. I enquired about rerouting, but there weren’t any options that would’ve made much difference to arrival time. Of course, had we known at the outset that the delay would creep out to 5 hours that would have changed the equation. That’s the problem with creeping delay.

First crew were great - even though they were delayed too - so it made for a comfortable trip - albeit a frustrating one.
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Flight had been cancelled once and over 3 hours late thrice in March and Feb. That’s not great timekeeping. But it’s highly likely you’ll be on time.

And yes, I realise that things are particularly tight at the moment. But I’m an optimist.

(I’ll be back tomorrow with egg on face/tail between legs once this gets cancelled).
BA285 delayed 2.5 hours today as of now. Worst of both worlds, neither on time nor delayed long enough for compensation...

However, it actually worked out nicely for me because I had changed my flight from a LHR-SEA F award on a different day to BA285 today, and my booking had been revised but the ticket not issued, so I was on hold with BAEC for 75 minutes before getting my ticket issued after boarding was originally scheduled to start
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
BA285 delayed 2.5 hours today as of now. Worst of both worlds, neither on time nor delayed long enough for compensation...

However, it actually worked out nicely for me because I had changed my flight from a LHR-SEA F award on a different day to BA285 today, and my booking had been revised but the ticket not issued, so I was on hold with BAEC for 75 minutes before getting my ticket issued after boarding was originally scheduled to start
Down to the plane being XLEC which was 3.25 hours late in from Miami after issues yesterday.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Down to the plane being XLEC which was 3.25 hours late in from Miami after issues yesterday.
Got it. At this point, if they could delay another 35 minutes to qualify for UK261, I would consider that a net positive
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:23 am

I was on the BA207 yesterday and crew did indeed seem quite annoyed with yet another delay. Supposed to be on the BA208 back today and just got cancelled… must be expensive for them to rebook
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Constellation32
I believe it has been mentioned that all airliners are susceptible to issues after long-term storage but it's particularly noticeable with the BA A380s due to the very small fleet and the extremely tight schedule they fly. In the past a 747 could have stepped in for an A380 if necessary but that is obviously no longer an option.

I would imagine various storage related issues will be addressed as the fleet cycles through routine minor/major maintenance plus refits in a couple of years time.
Yes, but the A380 has now been back in service with BA for more than two years. Surely all the bugs related to storage would have been ironed out by now.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:12 am

Yes, but the A380 has now been back in service with BA for more than two years. Surely all the bugs related to storage would have been ironed out by now.
Given the lead time for some replacement parts is now 999 days, zero chance of that happening any time soon.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by fisherman90
I was on the BA207 yesterday and crew did indeed seem quite annoyed with yet another delay. Supposed to be on the BA208 back today and just got cancelled… must be expensive for them to rebook
that’s a scheduled late departure is it not? Hotel for the night?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Given the lead time for some replacement parts is now 999 days, zero chance of that happening any time soon.
Goodness! So is this an issue that is unique to (or particularly bad in relation to) the A380, or are other fleets susceptible to the same problem?
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:22 am

Goodness! So is this an issue that is unique to (or particularly bad in relation to) the A380, or are other fleets susceptible to the same problem?
Some fleets have similar issues, but more aircraft and the opportunities to perform ‘robberies’ with those getting maintained at base. Manila is bit far for all of that.
SW7London and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by deviant1966
that’s a scheduled late departure is it not? Hotel for the night?
Yes. 11pm. BA suggesting a flight via BOS tomorrow...
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:47 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
A bit worried about Flt 192 (DFW-LHR) on Monday. We're booked using CX miles, in combo of J & F. If the BA flight gets canceled, would BA re-accommodate us on one of the AA flights that day, or tell us we are out of luck since we're booked on CX miles?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nnn
A bit worried about Flt 192 (DFW-LHR) on Monday. We're booked using CX miles, in combo of J & F. If the BA flight gets canceled, would BA re-accommodate us on one of the AA flights that day, or tell us we are out of luck since we're booked on CX miles?
BA are the operating carrier so they have a duty of care if the flight gets cancelled on the day. Being put on an AA flight is a possibility, but also depending on loads, a downgrade in order to be put on one of those flights is a possibility unfortunately. Otherwise you would have to wait until the next day (at which point BA would provide a hotel for the night and pay reasonable sustinence expenses).
nnn likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by nnn
BA is likely to ask you to contact CX for rebooking as these are awards issued by CX. CX will be able to rebook if awards seats are available.
nnn likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by nnn
I wouldn’t worry about it:

1. DFW really isn’t more likely to be cancelled than other A380 routes.

2. I am flying DFW-LHR tomorrow and having a look at availability in F there is plenty on the direct AA flights as well as connections to BA via IAH, EWR, MIA, JFK. AA seem to have changed the way they upgrade into their LH cabins so much more likelihood of seats being available on the day.

I dont know how CX awards work but usually if you have an involuntary rebooking the airline don’t require reward availability, just seats to be available. I wouldn’t overthink things, just track the status of the outbound LHR-DFW flight on Monday, it will be the plane that flies you back.
nnn, LCSinTexas and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.