Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with the A380 lately

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ttama
I see BA 284 (SFO-LHR 380) has a 36% on-time rating over the last two months. That's from ExpertFlyer.
What timings do they use? Looking at the last 90 days data on FR24 there have been 86 scheduled flights. There has been one cancellation, 52 flights touched down before the scheduled time (over 60%) and a further 22 landed within 15 minutes of schedule which takes us up to 86%.
There has been just one that landed over an hour late on 14th June.

Caveat is that FR24 records the touch down time, so maybe EF is using the doors open time. In any case, the delays are nearly always in the minutes so not something I'd be concerned about. There are certainly worse performing routes out there!

Just a sample from the past two weeks:-

mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You will not be looking for last minute flights/solutions if BA cancels BA284; BA will take care of it. You will get rebooked on the later BA service to LHR or be rebooked with AA via another BA US hub. Nothing to worry about.
Well actually yes, I will worry about it. Rebooked at the last minute means you get whatever seats are left. If you're a novice FlyerTalker you might find the prospect of getting a seat no-one else wants something to be grateful for. However the reason for asking the question is that I can select good seats on the later flight now. Rather than wait until the 380 is cancelled and get the dregs.

There are numerous posts on here asking about the best seats to select. It is important to many of us. For many of us it's why we aim for Silver or above. For some, it really doesn't matter what seats you get. You may be the latter. I'm the former.

My post wasn't asking for advice or reassurance from those who may have different priorities or who thinks BA will make the right decision for me and provide me with a flight I want and seats I want with no hassle. I was asking a specific question about historic flight delays to see if the trend is upwards. I can then make my own decision on whether to rebook now or take my chances. I don't need someone else to make a decision for me based on that data. I'm capable of that.

remaxmac, mnhusker and flarmip like this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by Schind
What timings do they use? Looking at the last 90 days data on FR24 there have been 86 scheduled flights. There has been one cancellation, 52 flights touched down before the scheduled time (over 60%) and a further 22 landed within 15 minutes of schedule which takes us up to 86%.
There has been just one that landed over an hour late on 14th June.

Caveat is that FR24 records the touch down time, so maybe EF is using the doors open time. In any case, the delays are nearly always in the minutes so not something I'd be concerned about. There are certainly worse performing routes out there!

Just a sample from the past two weeks:-

Thanks. That's reassuring
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
After the enormous delay to last night's BA57, things are not looking good for tonight's attempt at flying an A380 to JNB. The first delay has been announced and I can't help feeling it will be ultimately delayed to tomorrow afternoon. Every time I fly this route there is a problem!
Old Jun 24, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by ttama
Well actually yes, I will worry about it. Rebooked at the last minute means you get whatever seats are left. If you're a novice FlyerTalker you might find the prospect of getting a seat no-one else wants something to be grateful for. However the reason for asking the question is that I can select good seats on the later flight now. Rather than wait until the 380 is cancelled and get the dregs.

There are numerous posts on here asking about the best seats to select. It is important to many of us. For many of us it's why we aim for Silver or above. For some, it really doesn't matter what seats you get. You may be the latter. I'm the former.

My post wasn't asking for advice or reassurance from those who may have different priorities or who thinks BA will make the right decision for me and provide me with a flight I want and seats I want with no hassle. I was asking a specific question about historic flight delays to see if the trend is upwards. I can then make my own decision on whether to rebook now or take my chances. I don't need someone else to make a decision for me based on that data. I'm capable of that.
You're not replying to a novice FlyerTalker. You are asking a ridiculously unknowable question.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 3:39 pm
Original Member

I was booked on the A380 from Miami today and had been watching the last week of flights like a hawk. When I got up this morning I was pleased to see that the inbound flight was on time today and that the departure from Miami was also on time. Unfortunately I’m not on it as our AA connecting flight was 5 hrs late so I didn’t make it to Miami.
delighted5153 and rj90 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like last night's BA56 is still flying and running nearly 13 hours late.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by drpabs
After the enormous delay to last night's BA57, things are not looking good for tonight's attempt at flying an A380 to JNB. The first delay has been announced and I can't help feeling it will be ultimately delayed to tomorrow afternoon.
Yeah, 23JUN BA57 LHR-JNB departed yesterday afternoon, 20 hours late and arrived JNB early this morning at 5AM

Originally Posted by Chammer
Looks like last night's BA56 is still flying and running nearly 13 hours late.
Correct. 24JUN BA56 departed JNB 7:30AM this morning and will arrive 5PM this afternoon.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA235
I’ve had this often. On each occasion the poor staff member concerned has been sitting bolt upright all night. Still, it’s preferable to a jump
seat no doubt !
Not in my experience; they were happily enjoying the IFE and full recline/flat bed. I was not best pleased.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Not in my experience; they were happily enjoying the IFE and full recline/flat bed. I was not best pleased.
Neither would I be!
Old Jun 27, 2024, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond
We are scheduled to fly on the A380 to Singapore on 2nd August. Sadly I only have bronze so can’t select seats until 7 days.

If we pay for the twin seats on the upper deck in Y and then get an aircraft change do we get that money back or does it just move over to being able to select seats on the new aircraft (presumably a 777?) We would be happy to pay for this specifically to be on the upper deck, not to sit together, as we would likely get seats together anyway at 7 days.

Also, I know this is more seating advice than problems with the A380 but are the twin seats upstairs in Y better enough than the seats downstairs in Y to make it worth paying for or would you rather just wait until 7 days and take them if they happen to be available?

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
We are scheduled to fly on the A380 to Singapore on 2nd August. Sadly I only have bronze so can’t select seats until 7 days.

If we pay for the twin seats on the upper deck in Y and then get an aircraft change do we get that money back or does it just move over to being able to select seats on the new aircraft (presumably a 777?) We would be happy to pay for this specifically to be on the upper deck, not to sit together, as we would likely get seats together anyway at 7 days.

Also, I know this is more seating advice than problems with the A380 but are the twin seats upstairs in Y better enough than the seats downstairs in Y to make it worth paying for or would you rather just wait until 7 days and take them if they happen to be available?

Thanks!
If you pay for your seats together and do get an aircraft switch to a 777 I would think you're almost guaranteed to get similarly seated on the new aircraft. If you're happy with your "new" seats just keep quiet and send in a refund claim for the initial seat cost on the 380 once youre back home.

As for if its worth it paying in advance that's only something you can decide. I have in the past paid for extra leg room and enjoyed it feeling it was well worth the price.. I would be keeping an eye on the load and reviewing my options like every good FT member.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 7:12 am

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Expertflyer is showing exactly 1/2 of the window pairs occupied at just over 5wks to departure. If it remained like that at 8 days to departure (unlikely in my view) I would take my chances on getting them for free. Best to keep an eye on it and decide accordingly. If you're travelling as a couple or even as a party of 4 it's well worth paying for.
Old Jul 2, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
I feel I can exhale after 3 A380 flights in the past couple of weeks passed off without incident and more or less on time.

Ironically one of them wasn’t meant to be a 388, was booked on BA15 LHR-SIN, partly to mitigate A380 jeopardy, and received a call mid afternoon on the day of the flight from BA ops, asking if I wanted to move to BA11, as they were short of (presumably flight) crew for BA15 and it was at risk of cancellation. I got to LHR in time to make BA11, and all went well (BA15 did eventually go around an hour delayed, so they found enough crew).

I was most nervous about the last one, as it was the start of a family holiday (and last year BA cancelled our flight the night before departure, resulting in an extremely long day), but all was good apart from a minor delay due to uncooperative IFE (was fixed).

Great service from cabin crew on all 3 flights. Let’s hope the next BA long haul on a 77W is as uneventful…
LCSinTexas and Thax1 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
BA284 SFO-LHR has been a disaster this week. Back to back cancelations.

Last edited by djmp; Jul 4, 2024 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.