Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with the A380 lately

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
Yes. Hence this thread. Or do you think we're bots?

That's very helpful to those of us with companion vouchers. Sheesh.
No I don’t think you’re a bot. You chose to put your credit card spend through a BA Amex, and earn the voucher. You can’t then argue you’d like the airline that the voucher works with to have a different fleet.

I thought the vouchers could now be used with both Iberia and Aer Lingus.

Last edited by dougzz; Aug 10, 2024 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 10, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
They hold a monopoly of slots at Heathrow so being based in London it makes sense to have them as your frequent flier programme rather than splitting your travel across all three alliances and getting nowhere with miles or status.
The FF program sucks us in, but it’s no monopoly is it.
Old Aug 10, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
What are the average stats on those routes, out of interest? Personal experiences are interesting but don't necessarily reflect the overall picture. On the SFO-LHR route, for example, the reliability stats for the A380 are markedly different from the 777. What routes were you on, and do you think your experience reflects the average experience? If it does, then yes it may "put things in perspective" . If not, it's just your personal perspective and may not be helpful to the average passenger.
Could you please quote actual dispatch date for the highlighted statement please.

Thank you.
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by dougzz
No I don’t think you’re a bot. You chose to put your credit card spend through a BA Amex, and earn the voucher. You can’t then argue you’d like the airline that the voucher works with to have a different fleet.
​​​​​​
BA passengers shouldn't be expected to know about the problem with BA's A380s. It's not their responsibility. It's the responsibility of the airline to correct the problem. This has been going on for years. Can anyone point to ANYTHING that BA has done to fix this problem?

But basically, we have an airline that's continuing to operate flights on planes that are unreliable (for whatever reason, and I really don't care what those reasons are), or that they struggle to staff. We haven't seen BA do anything to make passengers lives better.

It's not up to US to find a solution. It's not up to US to try to analyse or explain it. We're the customers. We should expect BA to fix the problem.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 11, 2024 at 5:20 am Reason: Removed inflammatory sentences - FT Rule 12
Old Aug 10, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Could you please quote actual dispatch date for the highlighted statement please.

Thank you.
Why? It's an average.

Last edited by ttama; Aug 10, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Aug 10, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
​​​​​​
BA passengers shouldn't be expected to know about the problem with BA's A380s. It's not their responsibility. It's the responsibility of the airline to correct the problem. This has been going on for years. Can anyone point to ANYTHING that BA has done to fix this problem?

But basically, we have an airline that's continuing to operate flights on planes that are unreliable (for whatever reason, and I really don't care what those reasons are), or that they struggle to staff. We haven't seen BA do anything to make passengers lives better.

It's not up to US to find a solution. It's not up to US to try to analyse or explain it. We're the customers. We should expect BA to fix the problem.
​​​​​​
There appears to be some moon howling here.

BA can’t shift frames from elsewhere, they don’t have the capacity. Frames are being juggled as it is. As I see it BA’s only option would be to cancel a routes or routes. I don’t believe availability is so dire that is required. Other than that they need to follow whatever solutions they have available, presumably working with the OEMs to do so.

What is it you are looking for, other than an opportunity to get it off your chest, which is understandable if you’ve been on the wrong end?
etiene likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 11, 2024 at 5:21 am Reason: Amend quoted content
Old Aug 10, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Why? It's an average.
An average 0f what?

You made a claim, and I asked you for that data to support that claim.

I have looked for that information and have been unable to find it, so I hoped you had data.

Thank you.
Rubecula and etiene like this.
Old Aug 10, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
XLEJ

Originally Posted by surryson
it should be out of MNL by the end of the month
wow - that's around an extra 7 weeks over the typical 4th heavy maintenance check

must be a real nasty that they've uncovered
Old Aug 11, 2024, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Avherald is reporting passengers reported electrical problems

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=51c2658c&opt=0
Sort of demonstrates that no matter what we say on the PA, it will be lost on the vast majority of those supposedly listening. I would imagine the PA alluded to ‘indications here in the flight deck of an issue with..’ and has been either misheard or just not understood.
I was only half joking when I posted here in the FAQ thread that it almost looked like the crew turned the aircraft off and on again: after the aircraft stopped on the taxiway, the FR24 return vanished for a few minutes and then came back. So I wonder whether they had in fact done this, leading to a misunderstanding by some passengers that the problem was electrical in nature. The Aviation Herald report says that one quoted passenger "believed" the problem was electrical in nature, and the other that "finally there was electricity again", neither of which would have necessarily involved the pilots saying that there was an electrical problem.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 6:12 am

G-XLEA delayed 12 august

Hi folks,
BA 193 on 12 August has been delayed twice; G-XLEA. I thought it would have been due to connecting passengers, but they’ve got the Tele-lift on top doing something.

bonus points edit: can you walk or train from T5C to T5B lounge without having to hit security again?

Last edited by Apriddy4; Aug 12, 2024 at 6:24 am Reason: Asking a question
Old Aug 12, 2024, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
You can definitely walk by using the underground pedestrian tunnel. Access is by descending in the lift to the -4 level.
mnhusker and Apriddy4 like this.

Last edited by heb999; Aug 12, 2024 at 6:30 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 12, 2024, 6:50 am

Thank you, heb999
on board now and got my champers. I’m a happy camper.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Apriddy4
Hi folks,
BA 193 on 12 August has been delayed twice; G-XLEA. I thought it would have been due to connecting passengers, but they’ve got the Tele-lift on top doing something.

bonus points edit: can you walk or train from T5C to T5B lounge without having to hit security again?
It is an antenna being replaced which is causing the delay.
Apriddy4 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 8:16 am

they said something about it being replaced but only able to test it at 05 and 35 past the hour. Nearly 2 hours delayed now. Hoping for the magic 3 hours!

Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is an antenna being replaced which is causing the delay.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2024, 6:21 am

Am travelling on the 213 LHR-BOS in 6 weeks and I can see that it has been quite patchy recently and is at least 90 minutes late today.

Out of the A380 routes which one is most prone to delays and cancellations at the moment?

I have a connection in BOS but it's 4 hours so am not unduly concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.