Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with the A380 lately

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2024, 4:15 am

In shock news G-XLEI operated BA193 to Dallas yesterday. Left ontime & landed early.

Then it flew back as BA192, left ontime and landed 35-mins early!

This is unprecedented I believe ;-)

Don't know if G-XLEA got delayed after operating BA192 on the 13th, but a child peed on a crew seat on the flight over to Dallas, so maintenance may have to replace the cushion...?
Old Aug 14, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by the-doctor
I was delayed on an AA domestic flight earlier this year because they needed to change a bulb...again, hard to tell exactly over the tannoy, but it seemed to be the bulb that illuminates the landing gear...on a daytime flight They sent us back to departurures while they searched the airport for one.

No sooner had I sat down for a pint, did I get a notification saying they'd rebooked me for the following day, (a catastrophe for my schedule) but I managed to rebook myself onto the evening flight (AA's app is of course WAAAAY better than BA's, and I made it to work some 7 hours late, but 5 mins before the critical P45 cut-off....all for a bulb.

(Apologies for going OT)
When I was at BA we had to change 747's for a Cape Town due to the light bulb in the APU compartment not working.

What hadn't been noticed until nearly boarding time is that the defect had been deferred as long as it could be. It would have been illegal for us to have used that 747.

So this is very plausible.

It delayed us quite a few hours as they had to move all the catering over and then source a number of short haul security teams to check the replacement aircraft as there were no long haul security teams still on duty.

the-doctor and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: Varies
Out of interest, do the A380's carry more freight for BA than other aircrafts?
Old Aug 14, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
I understand the A380 is a bad cargo option compared to the other long haul aircraft.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
No, unfortunately the downfall of the current length of the aircraft and the huge wing box in the middle of it is that with so much passenger luggage to store, it has very little space left over for freight vs other widebodies. That is one of the reasons why BA use to schedule 1 x A380 and 1 x B77W to HKG (for example) as the B77W took the majority of the cargo. I believe a B77W can take 44 LD3's vs 38 for the A380, but when you factor in the passenger count with BA, 256 vs 469 - you can see the majority of those LD3 containers are full with passenger luggage on the A380!

Pilot37
BearX220, PETER01, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
No, unfortunately the downfall of the current length of the aircraft and the huge wing box in the middle of it is that with so much passenger luggage to store, it has very little space left over for freight vs other widebodies. That is one of the reasons why BA use to schedule 1 x A380 and 1 x B77W to HKG (for example) as the B77W took the majority of the cargo. I believe a B77W can take 14 LD7's vs 13 for the A380, but when you factor in the passenger count with BA, 256 vs 469 - you can see the majority of those LD7 containers are full with passenger luggage on the A380!

Pilot37
plus the crew bunks are under the passenger cabin and also reduce cargo space
Old Aug 14, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has quite a lot of space but it is badly configured and has the luggage limitation noted above. Had the -900 conversion come about it would have been quite a cargo hauler.

77W and A350 are the cargo kings in the fleet.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Two ways to answer your question:

By LD container:

77W: 44 (14 pallets)
A380: 38 (11 pallets)

By Weight:

77W: 25 Tons
A380: 12.5 Tons

Note: these are for passenger versions, below floor cargo carrying, NOT freighter conversions.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455815

Thanks
wrp96 and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by mnhusker; Aug 14, 2024 at 3:41 pm
Old Aug 14, 2024, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is an antenna being replaced which is causing the delay.
Sounds like the ELT Antenna used for Search and Rescue purposes. Any short tests at 05 and 35 past the hour are ignored as test transmissions by the Coastguard
flarmip likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LUFTY
Sounds like the ELT Antenna used for Search and Rescue purposes. Any short tests at 05 and 35 past the hour are ignored as test transmissions by the Coastguard
Good to know - I'll try and not be in distress at 05/35 past the hour!
Old Aug 16, 2024, 3:00 am

Anyone knows what's going on with G-XLEE? BA11 today got axed, and it seems that the aircraft that was rostered to operate it has not left SFO. If that's another BA A380 fault, then it's getting ridiculous.
Old Aug 16, 2024, 3:06 am

If BA11 gets cancelled, do they move F passengers onto same day Singapore flight?

Last edited by garethmorgan; Aug 16, 2024 at 3:51 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 16, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Anyone knows what's going on with G-XLEE? BA11 today got axed, and it seems that the aircraft that was rostered to operate it has not left SFO. If that's another BA A380 fault, then it's getting ridiculous.
Looks like it taxied out to the runway at SFO yesterday evening and then taxied back to the terminal.
With G-XLEC, XLEE and XLEF all tech (XLEF is stuck in MIA), it wasn't a good night for the fleet!
SIN and BOS have suffered the cancellations to try and service the rest of the destinations today.

G-XLEA - In JNB coming back tonight
G-XLEB - On its way back from DFW and due to service IAD later
G-XLEC - Still tech
G-XLED - On its way back from LAX and due to head back to LAX later
G-XLEE - Tech in SFO
G-XLEF - Tech in MIA
G-XLEG - On its way to SFO
G-XLEH - Due to service MIA this morning
G-XLEI - On its was back from IAD and due to service DFW later today
G-XLEJ - In MNL
G-XLEK - In SIN and due back tomorrow morning
G-XLEL - Due to service JNB tonight

Pilot37
Old Aug 16, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Looks like it taxied out to the runway at SFO yesterday evening and then taxied back to the terminal.
With G-XLEC, XLEE and XLEF all tech (XLEF is stuck in MIA), it wasn't a good night for the fleet!
SIN and BOS have suffered the cancellations to try and service the rest of the destinations today.

G-XLEA - In JNB coming back tonight
G-XLEB - On its way back from DFW and due to service IAD later
G-XLEC - Still tech
G-XLED - On its way back from LAX and due to head back to LAX later
G-XLEE - Tech in SFO
G-XLEF - Tech in MIA
G-XLEG - On its way to SFO
G-XLEH - Due to service MIA this morning
G-XLEI - On its was back from IAD and due to service DFW later today
G-XLEJ - In MNL
G-XLEK - In SIN and due back tomorrow morning
G-XLEL - Due to service JNB tonight

Pilot37
Any guess what will be cancelled tomorrow if the frames are still out? DFW? IAD? BOS?
Old Aug 16, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
If BA11 gets cancelled, do they move F passengers onto same day Singapore flight?

Ive seen posts on another group that people on this connecting in SIN to SYD have been rerouted on a BA flight to YVR departing 20 mins earlier changing to Air Canada Signature Class (they had a business class ticket ) which arrives in SYD at 7.30am instead of 5.10am. Not a bad rerouting no UK261 as it stands but $120 pp fees paid for Canadian ETA which BA will be on the hook for. An impromptu RTW ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.