Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with BA’s A380s lately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024 | 7:44 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So Dear, shall we collectively demand the money BA paid to have them all heavy duty serviced at Manila refunded? Actually as I happened to be in France during that dreadful period, it was one of the driest winters on record and we were menaced with water shortages that summer.

Whilst no one would deny that there are issues with this aircraft, since none of us appear to be Aircraft Engineers who have actually worked on the A380 - or any A3 anything, let’s deal with the faults rather than where the aircraft were stored. How much of this is fact or apocrypha is getting lost.

All I do know is that the door has not blown of a single one of them, nor is it even rumoured that tools have been found rattling around inside. I am so sorry for those who have been inconvenienced by these technical faults and maybe every word here will come back to bedevil me when I fly to Miami this June/July.
It’s often the case that in such situations some people lose sight of the fact that they are still alive because good decisions were made.
PUCCI GALORE and ttama like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024 | 1:30 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pilot37
The big disadvantage the A380 has over the rest of the BA fleet is number of aircraft they operate.
A fleet of 12 aircraft for the job they do is just too small and leaves BA horribly exposed when something goes wrong.
The B777 fleet is 47 strong at LHR, there is always one frame standing by to step in should another frame develop a fault and likewise the B787 fleet is currently 37 strong, so again swaps can be made. With only 12 A380's, and no other aircraft in the fleet capable of the same capacity uplift, when things go wrong (and they do, but so do things with other aircraft in the fleet), it's effects are laid bare in a much more obvious way unfortunately.

Pilot37
This. EK publicly state they reached 99.5% dispatch reliability with the A380 pre-COVID - does any aircraft type in the BA fleet even have that? The issue is partially how the A380 is being used for many airlines, there is a way to make the A380 work as part of your fleet and BA’s approach is not it.
mnhusker and Constellation32 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024 | 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This. EK publicly state they reached 99.5% dispatch reliability with the A380 pre-COVID - does any aircraft type in the BA fleet even have that? The issue is partially how the A380 is being used for many airlines, there is a way to make the A380 work as part of your fleet and BA’s approach is not it.
Tim Clark (in the same interview) also said "The modern-day CEO and their boards are now used to smaller aircraft which they prefer because they don’t have to make the decision to buy a $US350-400m aircraft. They can buy one for $US160m and it’s fuel-efficient and ticks the box.".

Never mind that the a350 has a list price of $310 - $360 million and the 777-9 is $440 million. The former has 5 times the order book of the a380 and the latter, close to double.

While scale absolutely does make a difference, I take these "I'm right, everyone else is stupid" statements from Clark with a major grain of salt. He's long been a PR fan of the a380 and a neo variant for his own needs too; he's the one with an orphan fleet as the rest of the industry dump them.
Old Apr 27, 2024 | 2:34 am
10 Countries Visited

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Antarius
he's the one with an orphan fleet as the rest of the industry dump them.
That’s not entirely true, is it. Etihad were going to retire and then returned some, and are now looking to return more. Qatar and Lufthansa similarly. Qantas continue with theirs.

True a number of operators chose to retire as a result of the pandemic. Reality is 777X is now on an ever lengthening piece of string and options are limited. They are here to stay for now.
Old Apr 27, 2024 | 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Boys and - shall I become the Mystic Meg (Lord rest her soul) of BA Forum? I can then predict all the delays and cancellations. BA only I fear - no riff raff.

Who knows there may be money to be made and that could get rid of these infuriating commercials. Alas, there will be NO compensation viewed in my Crystal Ball and no refunds if it all turns out wrong. This is BA not BS ( I am getting as vulgar as the rest of this place).

That is how it works with flight delays and cancellations. I have had two BA flights since I became a Whining Gold where the aircraft went tech as we pushed back. It happens. Now I am lucky. Blessed even. I am not dancing to some employer's tune - the sort of person I would not have in the house for a cup of tea, and (this bit I do not say often enough) I am married to the most wonderful man. He does not come macho in such moments - he leaves ITTOPS to me and backs me to the hilt when the hairbrush comes out. All I will say that he gets 7700 notices from Flightradar 24 and remarkably there are diversions, delaus and cancellations from every airline going

Well said Madame, as always. 👏👏👏
Old Apr 28, 2024 | 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Backofthequeue
That’s not entirely true, is it. Etihad were going to retire and then returned some, and are now looking to return more. Qatar and Lufthansa similarly. Qantas continue with theirs.

True a number of operators chose to retire as a result of the pandemic. Reality is 777X is now on an ever lengthening piece of string and options are limited. They are here to stay for now.
LH even brought back the 744. It's not like bringing back the a380 was their first choice.

QR had their spat with Airbus over the a350. Boeing is a dumpster fire on QA/QC right now and more; all leading to delays. None of this makes the a380 a first choice aircraft for anyone but EK. It will be gone with the next cycle of fleet replacement for most, with a shelf life that is less than almost every other type flown.

Regardless, BA's a380 problems aren't going to get better, they're going to get worse as the aircraft ages. With a young fleet of a350s, 787s, 77Ws and 777Xs coming in the future, unless you're retired and happy for UK261 comp (as pointed out by a smart poster above), it's a solid plan to keep avoiding it.
Old May 3, 2024 | 6:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
Starting to regret booking both segments of my upcoming SFO-LHR-SFO roundtrip (284/285) on the A380 as it’s now been cancelled twice in as many weeks.

Last edited by kevvok; May 3, 2024 at 6:57 pm
Old May 3, 2024 | 7:10 pm
50 Countries Visited1M60 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by kevvok
Starting to regret booking both segments of my upcoming SFO-LHR-SFO roundtrip (284/285) on the A380 as it’s now been cancelled twice in as many weeks.
We fly SFO-LHR-SFO 4 to 5 times a year, and knock on wood, have not had any issues with the 380.
Old May 4, 2024 | 12:29 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sonomawine
We fly SFO-LHR-SFO 4 to 5 times a year, and knock on wood, have not had any issues with the 380.
No related to the 380: I have been to STS last year, what a nice part of the world - and cute airport (the bar had some good wines). Terminal was a construction site though.
sonomawine likes this.
Old May 7, 2024 | 10:11 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

According to flightaware.com, the BA flight DFW-LHR has not had any major issues during the past 2 weeks. Compared to several months ago, are the A380 issues diminished? Would prefer the AA 777 over the A380 in this instance.
Old May 7, 2024 | 11:04 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
The BA11 to SIN has been pretty good recently. The 12, apart from the return to SIN the other week, has been pretty good too. I’m monitoring it because I’m on the 11 in July, I booked it over the 787 because I don’t like the window dimming. I’m retired and happy to take 261 should the situation arise. The second last time I flew the 787 from SIN it was delayed 24 hours!
sammyg901 and becks1 like this.
Old May 7, 2024 | 12:01 pm
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC SkyBucks (Airlink)
When does the BA winter season start, is it October? I ask because I am booking my LHR- JNB flight for mid/late October, and currently they operate the 777 which hasn't had the delays/canx as with the A380, but I presume they will return to the A380 for winter? Ta.
Old May 7, 2024 | 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by HGOLI
When does the BA winter season start, is it October? I ask because I am booking my LHR- JNB flight for mid/late October, and currently they operate the 777 which hasn't had the delays/canx as with the A380, but I presume they will return to the A380 for winter? Ta.
Hi,

I think the winter season starts around 27/28th october ( ie when british summer time ends)

Regards

TBS
LCSinTexas and HGOLI like this.
Old May 7, 2024 | 1:42 pm
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC SkyBucks (Airlink)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I think the winter season starts around 27/28th october ( ie when british summer time ends)
Many thanks, I should have thought of that!
Old May 9, 2024 | 7:04 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

New thoughts on A380 LAX to LHR on to VCE??

The on time departures improved the last few weeks (and fewer Cxld flights) over the previous few weeks. But I’m still concerned about late arrival to LHR with only 1 hr 45 min connection to VCE and only one more later flight to VCE that gets us in quite late. We would be in back of upper deck in PE all on one ticket.
I also have UA award tix on Swiss 777-300 w much better on time stats and 1 hr 50 minute layover in ZRH. But it’s in economy and only “2” seats are second from last row so we would probably go for middle section. Not happy with tight 3-4-3 config for night flight to sleep!

I’ve asked before but wonder if any new thoughts or perspectives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.