Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trouble with BA’s A380s lately

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024 | 9:08 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

So a quick update - I just tried to call to get us on VS24 direct LAX - LHR tonight, but the guy on the phone reckoned he couldn't see that flight at all, presumably because it wasn't Oneworld.

Does that sound right, and so I'll have to look at other options, or is there another route open to me?
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:11 am

Programs: British Airways (Silver) | Air France/KLM (Gold) | SAS (Gold) | ITA Air (Premium)
Originally Posted by daimler3996
So a quick update - I just tried to call to get us on VS24 direct LAX - LHR tonight, but the guy on the phone reckoned he couldn't see that flight at all, presumably because it wasn't Oneworld.

Does that sound right, and so I'll have to look at other options, or is there another route open to me?
They generally don't rebook on non-One World bookings because of poor staff training. See if they can reroute you in J on LAX-DEN-LHR or LAX-LAS-LHR or LAX-PDX-LHR.
daimler3996 likes this.
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:15 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Thanks - that's so frustrating; I can see direct availability but he absolutely swore blind he couldn't see the flight at his end!
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
If you were booked nonstop in J and the only remaining J nonstop option is VS then I would insist on being rebooked on VS as that is a comparable transport condition. A connection is not.
If BA offers reasonable same day connection via PDX, DFW, IAH, ORD etc, pax can't insist on being rebooked OAL; direct flight or not. OP will take a significant risk of not getting reimbursed by BA if OP purchase ticket(s) on VS expecting to be reimbursed from BA afterwards.
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
If BA offers reasonable same day connection via PDX, DFW, IAH, ORD etc, pax can't insist on being rebooked OAL. OP will take a significant risk of not getting reimbursed by BA if OP purchase ticket(s) on VS expecting to be reimbursed from BA afterwards.
That's my thinking - that option sounds like too big a risk, at same-day J booking prices...
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:20 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
That's my thinking - that option sounds like too big a risk, at same-day J booking prices...
How many travellers? Still showing J2 on VS8. BA will rebook you on VS if there are no direct flights on OW. You do not need to be fobbed off with accepting a connection.
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:21 am

How many travellers? Still showing J2 on VS8. BA will rebook you on VS if there are no direct flights on OW. You do not need to be fobbed off with accepting a connection.
2 of us - and both VS8 and VS24 I think have availability, but the guy on the line point-blank said it was impossible for him to see them...
Old May 11, 2024 | 9:27 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
2 of us - and both VS8 and VS24 I think have availability, but the guy on the line point-blank said it was impossible for him to see them...
HUACA - you got a duff agent. You booked a nonstop itinerary and are entitled to be rebooked under comparable conditions (ie J nonstop where available) at the first opportunity. Out of interest did you get through to the UK or India call centre?
Old May 11, 2024 | 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Too hot to board

“Sorry for the delay in boarding your flight, the aircraft is too hot for 420 people to board, we are waiting for it to cool down, we’ve turned the air conditioning on”

That was a first for me. The irony being that the gate is also like a furnace!

The poor Group 0 chap boarded 30 minutes ago on his own. Presumably he’s just sat in a pool of his own sweat now.
oceanscape and MrMB like this.
Old May 11, 2024 | 12:43 pm

HUACA - you got a duff agent. You booked a nonstop itinerary and are entitled to be rebooked under comparable conditions (ie J nonstop where available) at the first opportunity. Out of interest did you get through to the UK or India call centre?
India call centre (all 3 calls I made). Have managed to get us rebooked in business on AA to Chicago tomorrow morning then on to Heathrow.

What I'm now wondering is, do we still get delay compensation as I didn't accept their suggested reroute into Economy?
Old May 11, 2024 | 1:00 pm
dw
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold
India call centre (all 3 calls I made). Have managed to get us rebooked in business on AA to Chicago tomorrow morning then on to Heathrow.

What I'm now wondering is, do we still get delay compensation as I didn't accept their suggested reroute into Economy?
You should. I had a cancellation in WTP and declined the rebooking option of Y on Iberia, opting for a WTP BA flight the next day. No issue getting my comp approved.
jonr405 and daimler3996 like this.
Old May 12, 2024 | 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Should have no impact on your right to comp. for cancellation (unless the initial rebooked flights in economy would have departed no more than one hour before the original BA flight and you would have arrived LHR/final destination less than two hours after original arrival time; then you receive zero - or if you would have arrived LHR with less than 4 hours delay, then the comp. would be reduced by 50% - even if this was the situation I doubt BA would put forward the argument that you were offered flights that were not eligible for comp. or would have reduced it by 50%).

Last edited by SK AAR; May 12, 2024 at 1:59 am
Old May 12, 2024 | 2:07 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited100k5 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
If BA offers reasonable same day connection via PDX, DFW, IAH, ORD etc, pax can't insist on being rebooked OAL; direct flight or not. OP will take a significant risk of not getting reimbursed by BA if OP purchase ticket(s) on VS expecting to be reimbursed from BA afterwards.
Yes they can - the requirement is to be re-routed subject to comparable transport conditions. Having to connect when you were booked on a direct flight is not comparable.
Old May 12, 2024 | 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

So you are prepared to recommend the OP to buy (expensive) VS tickets on his own and hope BA will reimburse the costs afterwards? And if BA refuses, then what?
Old May 12, 2024 | 2:17 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited100k5 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
So you are prepared to recommend the OP to buy (expensive) VS tickets on his own and hope BA will reimburse the costs afterwards? And if BA refuses, then what?
You could say the same about hotels or just about any other UK/EU261-related entitlement on which airlines often fail to comply with their obligations. At the end of the day, it would be for the OP to conduct their own assessment of:
  1. Do they have the means to pay for re-routing themselves?
  2. How long could they accept being without the money for?
  3. How far would they be willing to pursue it?
It would of course be possible to pursue through CEDR or MCOL in the usual way - and if the amount is large, it may be better to go straight to MCOL if a Letter Before Claim is unsuccessful - especially since this allows for more recovery of costs.
IThink and TabTraveller like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.