FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Confirms “Refresh” of Galleries T5B Lounge & Whispering Angel Rose Bar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2124325-ba-confirms-irefreshn-galleries-t5b-lounge-whispering-angel-rose-bar.html)

wrp96 Jun 7, 2023 1:22 pm

Whispering Angel seems to be the wine of the moment among airlines. United has been featuring it in Polaris for a couple of months.

subject2load Jun 7, 2023 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA (Post 35312384)
Might it be possible that there are BA managers who are responsible for urgent issues, and different BA managers who will accept some marketing funds to run a short promo, where the funds reduce BA's cost of providing this wine? BA's lounge catering manager can't have much joy in the job with the budget they're given…

I don't mind promos within the lounge, as long as they fit within the brand. If I have to see an advert in the airport, it helps if it's giving samples...

Agreed, all very valid comments JAXBA (not least the one related to the “budget they’re given” )

I guess it’s fairly straightforward, and relatively cheap (if not cost-free) to do these sort of promos - which can admittedly be successful in promoting the brand for both parties. But I nonetheless believe that a perception of skewed priorities remains present as a potential downside.

tattikat2 Jun 7, 2023 1:51 pm

There goes the quiet/off the radar lounge.:(

bafan Jun 7, 2023 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by danmushman (Post 35311572)
Yes, why would they brand a whole 'bar' over a wine <£20 per bottle?
They've really been pushing English sparkling wines recently (as per press release), wouldn't one of those have been more suitable?

Knowing BA marketing speak, I suspect the ‘bar’ will turn out to be a small display stand with a couple of bottles on it; and which may, or may not, be staffed…

simonsmith Jun 7, 2023 2:12 pm

Whispering Passengers not yelling into their phones would be very welcome at the whispering angel bar .

choosethedrew Jun 7, 2023 2:34 pm

So much more than a ‘refresh’ is needed I’m afraid and the fact money is being spent on a superficial makeover, which a ‘refresh’ surely is, does not augur at all well for scope of works for the long awaited T5A lounge refurbishments.

ijgordon Jun 7, 2023 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 35312391)
Whispering Angel seems to be the wine of the moment among airlines. United has been featuring it in Polaris for a couple of months.

Better than being the wine of the moment on Bravo reality shows me thinks. :)
It's a little bit overpriced at retail (here in the US) but it's a pretty good, reliable choice.

orbitmic Jun 7, 2023 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 35312155)
Setting aside the matter of just how popular or long-lasting this eventually proves to be, I think it’s fair to say that amongst the range of issues to which BA customers may rightly expect the airline’s management to devote urgent attention, the creation of a Whispering Angel bar would come some considerable way down the wish-list (if it even makes the list at all ……)

Of course, nobody would choose a lounge improvement over issues with under-staffing, cancellations, and IT nightmares, but equally, we both know that this is not really how this works. In other words, BA will be getting this Whispering Angel bar for very little cost and some of the "biggies" would cost a lot more to fix, so it is more a case of comparing this change to what else could have been done with an extremely small budget - we are probably talking more of changing the paper serviettes than redoing the showers here. To me, within the realm of lounge improvements with certainly little budget, this is not a bad choice.

Jeedos Jun 7, 2023 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson (Post 35311290)
Tacky.

yep. Whispering angel is trash wine.

Confus Jun 7, 2023 3:38 pm

I’ll bet any of you a pint that this is being funded not by BA, but the marketing budget of the particular brand being showcased.

gliderpilot Jun 7, 2023 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jambon87 (Post 35312132)
Next up is Blue Nun on Tap 😁

Rather have Blue Label!

gcuk Jun 7, 2023 5:27 pm

Having read this I thought I’d try Whispering Angel Rosé in the Concorde Room at LHR tonight.
It’s the only Rosé on the wine list but I couldn’t try it because the waitress told me they ran out of it the day before 🙄
Hopefully they’ll get the supply issue sorted if they want a whole bar full of the stuff.
Or perhaps they’ll just call it the Whispering Angel Rosé (Out of Stock) Bar 😀

ExpatExp Jun 7, 2023 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson (Post 35311290)
Tacky.

Of course! But:

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer (Post 35311638)
I am sure it will catch on… They will doubtless become great places to congregate, and have FaceTime calls on loudspeaker whilst plonking your bare feet on the tables.

Yep.

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 35311875)
I don't suppose that the Garrus will be on offer but if anyone from BA is reading this, how about giving it to us in the CCR huh? ;)

​​​​​​​Exactly what I was thinking 😂

gustavmahler Jun 7, 2023 11:53 pm

Blue Nun or Babycham? WA isn’t some bright pink Echo Falls type p*ss. It’s a decent Provence rose that Chateau d’esclans has done a top job of marketing. Like orbitmic says, they do a whole range of wines (including cheaper ones). Give Les Clans or Garrus a go if you want something more high end. It may not be your thing and it may have a SW London yummy mummy reputation but WA isn’t bad wine.

Duck1981 Jun 8, 2023 12:40 am

Do we have any idea about the logistics (when the refurb happens and how long) and if T5B will be closed completely?