Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Innsbruck? Where’s that?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It is probably a little harder for Gatters based staff than LHR ones, as the destinations might be a little more obscure, and if you are generally not too hot on Central Europe and don't care much for skiing then you might indeed not have heard of Innsbruck, but as others have stated above the agent should be covering up their ignorance rather than highlighting it repeatedly and making the customer feel bad. Also I am surprised they put new starters (which is what I am assuming, maybe wrongly, this person was) on the premium desks.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:24 pm

I suspect you got a 'button pusher'. Sadly, as the next generation comes up, you will see more of this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Phlyer2
Many years ago I was going to Cuba and phoned my phone company to ask about roaming charges / would the phone work (we're going back to 2G days here). The lady on the phone said my phone wouldn't work as the only country on her list under "Q" was Qatar... A tricky moment then followed.
Presumably, she also could not find the United States because the only country listed under "Y" was Yemen?
adrianlondon and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Had a similar experience in LHR’s First Wing in late 2020 when flying to ACE.

The lady checking me in would insist that they do not fly to Arrecife, she’s never heard of it and that I might be at the wrong airport or terminal. I ended up writing down “ACE” on a piece of paper which seemed to annoy her. Day was saved by one of her colleagues shouting across from another counter: “It’s in Lanzarroteeee”
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Had a similar experience in LHR’s First Wing in late 2020 when flying to ACE.

The lady checking me in would insist that they do not fly to Arrecife, she’s never heard of it and that I might be at the wrong airport or terminal. I ended up writing down “ACE” on a piece of paper which seemed to annoy her. Day was saved by one of her colleagues shouting across from another counter: “It’s in Lanzarroteeee”
It's now being flown out of LGW though?

(Of course in 2020 you may be right that LHR-ACE exists)
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by percysmith

That’s correct, unfortunately ACE moved (back) to LGW.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…

BA operation at Gatwick were completely suspended for a while during Covid and all flights moved to LHR
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: Honors Diamond

There was no BA short haul at LGW in late 2020.
percysmith and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by OnceCrew
Things really must have changed since my initial training to be a BA telesales agent back in '76 at the old WLAT. Not only were we required to learn the codes (both city and airport/s) for all BA destinations (and many others) but also place them correctly on a blank world map.
Similar when I started work as an ATC Assistant at the old London ATC Centre in 1964. Our exam at the ATC School at Hurn had included a test of encyclopaedic knowledge of ICAO codes for airports around the World. HUEN (Entebbe) is permanently engraved on a brain-cell, for some reason!
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Rioja
Innsbruck in Austria
In Australia?
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal
There was no BA short haul at LGW in late 2020.
My memory of a lot of things from 2020 are fast fading.

Or is that long COVID? Let me Google that and believe every thing it says…
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I remember reading about a woman who found an absolute bargain to the Caribbean so jumped on the price. She only discovered the importance of airport codes on finding herself in GRX, rather than GND.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:24 pm

Flying to Seville from Gatwick recently, I wasn’t happy with the BA checkin person who attended to me at all.

There was only one counter open for First / BA Gold check in. The queue was building fast. After a long time, another agent opened a second counter.

He immediately beckoned my travelling companion and I to come to him. But halfway walking to him he lifted his hand and said, please wait, the system is rebooting. We walked back to rejoin the queue. Then why call us towards the counter before your system has completed its warm up?

Finally when he was ready, my travelling companion and I re-approached and we told him specifically there were 2 luggages to be checked in, and each one should be tagged to one person (we needed that for our individual travel insurance purposes). He acknowledged. But he absent mindedly proceeded to tag both luggages to one passenger (you’re both BA Gold, so either passenger can have up to 2 luggages - that was NOT the point!) and shrugged sorry, nothing he could do about it. Just idiotic.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by justDave
In Australia?
You can buy signs at Vienna Airport saying 'No Kangaroos in Austria".
squiddz and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by justDave
In Australia?
On New Year’s Eve 1999 I went to our local branch of Ulster Bank to be furnished with 900 Austrian Schillings for my school ski trip. A quick check on walking down the Main Street confirmed that 900 Australian Dollars had been issued. The branch were very grateful that we had returned when the error had been noted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.