Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Not strictly true (with the I class inventory for those on a 2 for 1, new style).
Well spotted! I forgot about this…
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’m not sure there were significant downgrades as I saw at least 2 empty seats in PE and possibly more (difficult to tell if pax have spread their stuff out).

Apart from shouty man everyone was good humoured about switching seats around in Club once on the plane. The lounge agents were able to sort out seat changes for me and the kids and we had new BPs waiting at the gate.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Krisz
well BA done this once over many months and there is no indication it will be repeated. People who fly once a year has no clue about CS or the old seats for many it will be just a nice flat bed. Here in FT I think CS get over rated substantially because I think that seat is more suitable for single corporate flyers. I can see why families or couples could see that the old cw seats are better. Also for me that box for my large feet is less comfortable than the old CW seat so on a 13-14 hours flight I might prefer the old seats. As the door I think it’s more of a gimmick as it doesn’t really more private. If I go to the toilet I could see everyone in their seats I can see who is doing what etc.
So I doubt many people would notice or complain about the seats in this one BA15/16. It will be more of an issue of who get upgraded or downgraded on this flight. There is a 20 person difference in CW and only 6 can be upgraded to First. So if the flight was full well I feel sorry for people who get downgraded or bumped off rather those who moan about which flat bed they get or not.
I’m not sure I follow the logic on a thread lamenting the swap to heritage Club World from CS, and where the OP has now paid money and disrupted the rest of their plans to escape the old seats, that ‘I doubt many people would notice or complain’. I can only speak personally but to me that’s an almost comical statement Flat beds have been the standard in business class for 20 years, saying that it’s all pretty much the same is like saying passengers have personal IFE in Y so it’s all good. Things have thankfully moved on.

I also think the reverse is true re occasional leisure travellers being less sensitive to aircraft swaps than corporate passengers. If your ticket has been covered by someone else, then I’d suggest that the feeling of hardship is likely to be much less acute. On the other hand, if you have scrimped and saved for years, planned your trip significantly in advance, pored over the costs / benefit of various airline and routing options and finally made a transactional purchasing decision based on the probability of a superior product (appreciate that is personal perception but as a general principle BA is replacing the old seats with the new, they are deemed as better by the majority of its customers, or else why would they do it) then I totally understand how a fair proportion of customers are going to feel extremely aggrieved.

With their current policy of not permitting rebooking due to equipment swaps, unlike other airlines with much less variation in the standard of their international J seats like AA and QF, I can see how this would deter repeat bookings from such inclined leisure travellers. BA no doubt doesn’t need them at the moment, but at some point the demand pendulum will swing.
Kgmm77, lloydah, JD1905 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Dec 31, 2023 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by choosethedrew

With their current policy of not permitting rebooking due to equipment swaps, unlike other airlines with much less variation in the standard of their international J seats like AA and QF, I can see how this would deter repeat bookings from such inclined leisure travellers. BA no doubt doesn’t need them at the moment, but at some point the demand pendulum will swing.
Couldn’t pax voluntarily rebook like BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR ?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:29 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by percysmith
Couldn’t pax voluntarily rebook like BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR ?
They were on an Avios booking, they were fortunate that there was availability to move and they also had to pay £70.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by JD1905
They were on an Avios booking, they were fortunate that there was availability to move and they also had to pay £70.
I suppose GGLs or even Golds get some love?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:44 am
formerly JackDann

Wouldn’t go in with that assumption. If I got this equipment swap i’d actually rather be downgraded and ask to be re-routed as the flights the following day wouldn’t work for me.

Anyway - this should be an unlikely scenario, hopefully the frames that are out of service come back in soon and we get another head to CWL for a refit. I’m not travelling for 7 weeks, so alot may change by then.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
I'd note that the option of rebooking, which might sound nice and gives the customer a choice, actually is likely to be of limited value in practise.
Anywhere vaguely near to the date of travel, most BA flights are going to be fairly full. So the number of people who could take advantage of being able to change would be small.

Face the fact that cabin refurbishments by their nature have to be an incremental process. It takes a plane out of service for a while - and therefore perhaps best done at the same time as major (C/D) checks.
It's something we have to live with ...
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
well ggl would not be charged the £70. However normal Avios availability would be required. If joker were used then d class could work too however if other ggl on the intended flight then it can be a push back. So ggl would get a few more options but SIN this time of the year is GGL heavy so you could be out of luck easily. But no special treatment or we just move you because you are a GGL.
I also think that in case of equipment change GGL’s tend to get assign seats first so very unlikely for a downgrade.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by cyborg
Marketing a service that isn't practiced could be considered false advertising. Marketing a product that isn't practical...I'd have to think about that for a minute.
In any case, it would have been prudent for BA to follow up that marketing with some announcement explaining the situation may have changed somewhat.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
That's where the BA small print of subject to availability/serviceable aircraft/nothing 100% guaranteed comes into play. I believe their Instagram post in Oct 22 regarding the Sydney routes said 'CS will be available' - nice and vague so as not to commit to anything in writing

Don't get me wrong I'd be annoyed if any flight I'd booked swapped to CW, but I do also understand the other side of the desk when it comes to social media
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Like the OP I didn’t expect such traction on this thread either Popular route, popular time to take it, as we will be Feb 1 in J and watching FR24 closely for G-STBB/C/I appearances!

Question: We’ve used the new Amex 241 on this. Should the worst happen and we’re downgraded to W what exactly is the process for compensation. BA just refunds the difference in avios between J and W? That’s it?

Thanks
NTFM
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by rarelyfly23
That's where the BA small print of subject to availability/serviceable aircraft/nothing 100% guaranteed comes into play. I believe their Instagram post in Oct 22 regarding the Sydney routes said 'CS will be available' - nice and vague so as not to commit to anything in writing

Don't get me wrong I'd be annoyed if any flight I'd booked swapped to CW, but I do also understand the other side of the desk when it comes to social media
they are welcome to their terms and conditions. In any business transaction when either side ends up referring to the t and c the relationship is over.

they can change equipment if they wish but they must also treat customers fairly. If I wanted a crap business class between London and Sydney I would book China eastern. If I choose and pay for a product then I want it. If they can't deliver I have no issue with that but they must give me fair and reasonable options ( next day / re route etc )
choosethedrew and JD1905 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
they are welcome to their terms and conditions. In any business transaction when either side ends up referring to the t and c the relationship is over.

they can change equipment if they wish but they must also treat customers fairly. If I wanted a crap business class between London and Sydney I would book China eastern. If I choose and pay for a product then I want it. If they can't deliver I have no issue with that but they must give me fair and reasonable options ( next day / re route etc )
That's not how any company's terms and conditions work?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
OP - wasn't there a case of EK from AKL on false advertising or deceptive advertising? I know SYD isn't AKL but maybe that is an angle available?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:39 pm

Agree with jeremyBA. T&Cs are ultimately there for the company to to CYA (cover your ...)... but from my own past experience in customer service, that should be last resort and it's preferable to make decisions based on the relationship.

Goes to show the disdain most airlines have for their customers unfortunately as their default is to just point to the T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.