Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nufnuf77
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2023 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares

Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 12 for an 2024 archive of sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

From North, Central and South America

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

CAI-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO return for 1800gbp earning 960 Tps

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post XX of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the post XXX of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2024 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024 | 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by jimmyt03
Thanks Japes,
Apologies if I am seeming obtuse it is not my intention!.
Fixed dates are Penn and teller in Las Vegas on 12 May, and Dead and Co on 16 May in LV.
Otherwise fairly flexible, but only want to be away for one full weekend in possible, so returning on 17 May.... could flex this but it is a kids issue :-(
So leave date is flexible, ideally return is fixed.
I have 220 TP with TP year end Aug 2024.
Only just starting out on my journeys , should make silver, would be kind of nice to make gold , but a bit of a long shot.
I get avios as I put my business google ads through an amex card. Also got a personal amex for the companion voucher.
Mostly I am looking to learn from the professionals.
I genuinely appreciate anyone who does this FOC, you are all awesome.
Thanks,
James
So here's a "simple" search on ITA Matrix to look for DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS routing on 8th May to 17th May (I did quite a bit of pre-searching to find those dates...):

Note the following - you can put a lot of stuff even in the simple Round Trip form. By specifying a list of airports you can say you want to connect via these. You can totally omit these or include X as a placeholder if you want to connect in a certain number of airports but not specify them. E.g you could go X JFK X there and it might show a connection via PHL JFK PHX as well as LHR JFK LAX.

To get airlines that award tier points you need to add "ALLIANCE ONEWORLD" in the extension codes section for each leg. If you want to combine this with other search criteria you need to put a semi-colon after it. So ALLIANCE ONEWORLD;-REDEYES would say you want ONEWORLD and no night flights.

In this case here I've put exact dates but if you put "show calendar of lowest prices" and a start date and a number of days it will show you prices for the month of that start date.

I found a lot of 1870.53 priced flights on those dates, which isn't GREAT but going JFK-LAX means you get to fly America Airline's flagship transcontinental business class which is way better than most of their "first" class

Try other centres in the search and see if you can get better - Barcelona, Venice, Florence, Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia, Cairo can all sometimes give good value, seemingly at random.
JapesUK and jimmyt03 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024 | 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by timlewis808
So here's a "simple" search on ITA Matrix to look for DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS routing on 8th May to 17th May (I did quite a bit of pre-searching to find those dates...):

Note the following - you can put a lot of stuff even in the simple Round Trip form. By specifying a list of airports you can say you want to connect via these. You can totally omit these or include X as a placeholder if you want to connect in a certain number of airports but not specify them. E.g you could go X JFK X there and it might show a connection via PHL JFK PHX as well as LHR JFK LAX.

To get airlines that award tier points you need to add "ALLIANCE ONEWORLD" in the extension codes section for each leg. If you want to combine this with other search criteria you need to put a semi-colon after it. So ALLIANCE ONEWORLD;-REDEYES would say you want ONEWORLD and no night flights.

In this case here I've put exact dates but if you put "show calendar of lowest prices" and a start date and a number of days it will show you prices for the month of that start date.

I found a lot of 1870.53 priced flights on those dates, which isn't GREAT but going JFK-LAX means you get to fly America Airline's flagship transcontinental business class which is way better than most of their "first" class

Try other centres in the search and see if you can get better - Barcelona, Venice, Florence, Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia, Cairo can all sometimes give good value, seemingly at random.

Realised should have picked a flight that actually had all business class flights. It's kind of annoying how it shows these Economy flights in the listings from Aer Lingus...
JapesUK likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC-Gold
Can you book too early?

Hi all, long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I intend to undertake a tier point run in Jan 2025. Most likely a west coast jaunt from Europe. As I understand the best fares need to be booked six months in advance, however, is there any potential downside to booking too early?

Any insight much appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 8:11 am

Very long time lurker on this thread - assistance required.

i am currently silver - and rather enjoy it. My tier point collection ends 8 August 2024.

i will be 230 points short based on my expected travels the rest of the year and therefore must embark upon a tier point run to retain this delightful silver status.

i am London based but regularly travel to the midlands. My initial thinking is that a same day/1 night return from MAN to somewhere far flung eg SOF would be ideal (I dont have a lot of annual leave to play with). This would accrue me 40/80/80/40 = 240TP.

my initial scouting for prices for such a route are alarmingly high eg around 500. Whilst this is not a terrible TP/ rate, I would prefer less. Any suggestions for other options from the powers that be are warmly appreciated. I can fly pretty much anytime but as I say, same day or 1 night stays over weekends are preferred.
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 8:22 am

I annoyingly need 165 TP to hit gold, leaving from London. Looking to do this in the cheapest way possible, but every itinerary I make ends up being a lot for the amount of TP Ill collect. Return flights for 160 look reasonable, just the extra 5 added on is a pain.

Its a shame you dont get the TPs for upgraded flights as I got upgraded to WTP to Doha the other week and that would have sorted out the 5 points missing issue.

Any tips?
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 8:23 am
50 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by GavManMoon
is there any potential downside to booking too early?
Sometimes you miss the opportunity to use sale pricing, I would say that's the mainproblem with booking 12 months in advance.
The pricing is pretty variable anyway, so you can see the prices of flights go up and down over the 12-6 months window, then they tend to just mostly go upwards.
So check to see whether you think you are getting a good price. If you do and book it and forget about it, don't keep checking the price to see if it has gone down.
All cheap flights are non-cancellable and most charge hefty change fees, so it's unlikely any action on your part will save you money if the price does come down after you book it.
GavManMoon likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 8:34 am
50 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by Mosey1
same day/1 night return from MAN to somewhere far flung eg SOF
I don't think there are flights to manchester after the SOF flight returns, but you can stay in London I guess.
As for price I think you will be stuck there as the cheaper flights are after your TP year end.
Old Feb 3, 2024 | 8:40 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Ive had to overnight at LHR as there were no late evening flights to MAN after the SOF arrival.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 7:46 am

Does anyone know any good tier point run to Dubai? i've got to go in June/July and wouldn't mind racking up some extra points
IanWorthington likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 9:33 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

DELETED
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 9:33 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Originally Posted by darkmaterial
I annoyingly need 165 TP to hit gold, leaving from London. Looking to do this in the cheapest way possible, but every itinerary I make ends up being a lot for the amount of TP Ill collect. Return flights for 160 look reasonable, just the extra 5 added on is a pain.

Its a shame you dont get the TPs for upgraded flights as I got upgraded to WTP to Doha the other week and that would have sorted out the 5 points missing issue.

Any tips?
I do recommend the 200TP EDI-LHR-MAD-PMI (& return) which is currently coming out at around 275-285, booked through Iberia. Still some dates in March and April & then October onwards. Of course with the added bonus that although you miss the Brutalist architecture of SOF, you will be pleasantly warm. You can work it to include Iberia's A330/A350 Business class and an overnight turnaround (if you really wanted to keep costs to the absolute minimum, but there are trips from 1-6 days).
MaxFlyer, KARFA, eugnk and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 10:38 am
40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by NGO Gravy Train
I do recommend the 200TP EDI-LHR-MAD-PMI (& return) which is currently coming out at around 275-285, booked through Iberia. Still some dates in March and April & then October onwards. Of course with the added bonus that although you miss the Brutalist architecture of SOF, you will be pleasantly warm. You can work it to include Iberia's A330/A350 Business class and an overnight turnaround (if you really wanted to keep costs to the absolute minimum, but there are trips from 1-6 days).
GBP 1.4/TP?! That's a good find!
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 11:15 am

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
GBP 1.4/TP?! That's a good find!
Definitely worth it if you can keep the positioning costs down!
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 11:17 am

Example Itinerary: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...9vQyWff7ju92SA

Did find one 4-night trip during June for the same price if you wanted a genuinely nice holiday alongside.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by anon392
Does anyone know any good tier point run to Dubai? i've got to go in June/July and wouldn't mind racking up some extra points
Not great for tier points but cheapest I could find in June/July. Sharjah airport isn't much further from Dubai than Dubai Airport (it's a 26 minute drive between the airports).

But one advantage is that I believe you can use the Al Safwa First Lounge at Doha because it's "first" class on the leg to Sharjah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.