Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2024, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flarmip
If the train is cheaper then claim a refund and you'll get all of your Avios + cash back. If it's more expensive then get BA to rebook you onto LNER - they have an agreement that lets them do so.

As this is a cancellation, compensation entitlement will not depend on your decision to go for a refund or re-routing. It will purely depends on the reason for cancellation, which is probably non-exceptional, thus qualifying you for compensation. But we should have confirmation soon.
​​​​​​
Thanks - Id completely forgotten about the arrangement BA have with train tickets! I needed to get on the first train (0848)out of Kings Cross and my rush to get my plans sorted I booked it myself, long before BA opened this morningIt was 140 first class and I think I paid Avios and just a small amount of cash for my flight.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by redsailor
Thanks - Id completely forgotten about the arrangement BA have with train tickets! I needed to get on the first train (0848)out of Kings Cross and my rush to get my plans sorted I booked it myself, long before BA opened this morningIt was 140 first class and I think I paid Avios and just a small amount of cash for my flight.
In that case I suggest putting in an expenses claim for your train ticket rather than accepting a refund. Worst case scenario, BA say no and you can still claim a refund down the line (if you don't fancy taking it to CEDR).
redsailor likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 2:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Generally ba will pay for a train ticket for Uk domestic routes where to our flight is cancelled. You can get ba to issue a ticket on lner if you are on the east coast - but tbh I find it simpler to book my own and submit an expenses claim after. You can add in expenses to a compensation claim so do it all in one.

Generally ba pay for equivalent class, so for Y expect standard and for J expect first.

the important point is not to cancel your booking. Once you cancel your booking ba is no longer liable for any further expenses and duty of care beyond that point.
redsailor likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 3:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redsailor
If there are other flights on the booking, you may need to reconfirm these flights, 1980s style, in case you get deemed no-show. More information on what to do in these circumstances, including the LNER reticketing, in the Signposts thread:

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
redsailor and flarmip like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:27 am

My flight to Vancouver BA85 today shows as delayed but operating in Manage My Booking and also when searching for BA Status. Same on Flightaware and others.
However, on my Executive Club account landing page - under 'Your upcoming flight' a message in red reads it is cancelled. Quite puzzled really. Anyone has any insights please, is it just the usual BA's IT antics?
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mrpacifist
My flight to Vancouver BA85 today shows as delayed but operating in Manage My Booking and also when searching for BA Status. Same on Flightaware and others.
However, on my Executive Club account landing page - under 'Your upcoming flight' a message in red reads it is cancelled. Quite puzzled really. Anyone has any insights please, is it just the usual BA's IT antics?
Go with whatever BA flight status says, which is a short delay for BA85 today.
mrpacifist likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mrpacifist
Just IT antics as usual. I've seen that "cancelled" warning appear for every single one of my delayed flights this year.
mrpacifist likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why was the BA2641 AGP LGW cancelled on 19th June please?

Last edited by Can I help you; Jun 23, 2024 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 23, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Blue
BA94 YUL-LHR on 19th June was delayed overnight because of crew illness. Is this eligible for compensation?
Old Jun 23, 2024, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Saturday 22 June update

BA9601 NAS (Query, not sure about this one)
BA322 CDG
BA1440 EDI

All the above cancelled during the day.

Sunday 23 June 2024 - Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

BA720 ZRH
BA342 NCE
BA1326 NCL

The above cancelled. I suspect ZRH is TECY and the others are crew shortages, but that's a guess. BA has 337 departures from LHR today out of 667. ATC had some technical gremlins today and there were some delays on take-off for unrelated reasons (too much demand for certain route plans) but it hasn't led to too many delays. LHR did accept a few extra diverted arrivals from Manchester due to their difficulties today.

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 7 peak
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Heathrow: EGLLTC 45/60 0540-0900 due capacity.
Network: LGSA capacity, CBs through Italy and staffing restrictions through Greece. Capacity through Germany and Hungary.

Weather: Nil sig
redsailor and Bluekjp like this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / Concorde Room
BA1417 BHD/LHR, 24 June,, 2+ hour delay

An unusually long delay on this route (allowing longer than usual to dally in the BHD Aspire Lounge. It is indeed excellent, but 3+ hours here is pushing the boundaries of reasonableness). Can anyone offer any insight into the cause and/or the likelihood that BA1417 it will hit UK261 (we're close). It looks like very late inbound, but why is that late?

(If anyone else happens to be here, SouthSquare is in a burgundy t shirt beside a window. Come and introduce yourself)
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by southsquare
It looks like very late inbound, but why is that late?
Whatever aircraft was originally scheduled to do this flight has been changed. Without checking in real time it may have been changed two or three times during the day as they juggle frames around to fill gaps. The aircraft currently listed as operating 1416/17 (G-EUUG) has been to SKG and back today. Both legs on time. It landed at LHR just over an hour ago and is due to depart for BHD in 15-20 minutes.

Regarding UK261 - it will probably make up some flight time over the two legs, that and a reasonably fast turnaround at BHD and it won't be eligible but until it happens we won't know.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
(If anyone else happens to be here, SouthSquare is in a burgundy t shirt beside a window. Come and introduce yourself)[/QUOTE]

I didnt see you, but Im in a navy polo shirt in prime spot across from the doors!

whilst I love the BHD lounge- the 3+ hours of grazing isnt helping my diet!
Old Jun 24, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Over the last couple of days BA228/229 seem to have had their share of delays - some of it down to late departure from LHR (although seemingly left the gate 'on-time') and some down to slower than expected westbound. Conundrum re. tomorrow's flight: FA say's it's a 788, BA and EF show it as a 789 (which the 788 turned into about a week ago). Last time I saw this discrepancy was when there was basically no aircraft available... and it was cancelled just a few hours before departure. (so, if anyone knows more, let me know!).
Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
....and.... yes... IT's BEEN CANCELLED! (BA228/229 25 June).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.