Search

Being woken up in First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I flew JFK-LHR in F in Dec, and after a bottle and a half of Cristal/Krug in Chelsea (oops), I ordered dinner but slept (ok, maybe passed out) through dinner and woke up 2.5 hours into the flight. Went to use the restroom and the Cabin Crew said "so sorry but we didn't want to bother you - can I make up your bed?" to which I answered yes. And I went back to sleep, in a proper/reclined bed with duvet etc after that. Bliss.

That's really how it should go.

I agree that a DND indicator would be nice (but UA has this in Polaris and I always forget to use it, admittedly).
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: Exec Club
At times this forum descends into some dystopian upper class Mumsnet

and here we are…
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
…And I went back to sleep, in a proper/reclined bed with duvet etc after that. Bliss.

That's really how it should go.
In a lightly loaded cabin I’ll do one better on that… assuming the passenger is not in a “bed” setting yet, quietly make up a nice fresh fluffy bed across the aisle from the passenger, and once it’s ready, softly offer it to them as a more comfortable alternative, preferably also mentioning that in their earlier seat they would be happy to configure it for dining, should passenger want to eat something quickly a bit later. AF La Premiere did something along this line for a friend who travelled alone in the La Premiere cabin some while back.

And finally in an over-the-top Japanese style, I flew ANA around 20 years back when they first brought out their flat beds. KIX-NRT-JFK in F booked in a window. During the short KIX-NRT leg an attendant, noticing I was rather tall, asked if I’d like to try the seat in the middle section of the 1-2-1 cabin, which was slightly longer. She explained that she noticed I’d be going on to New York from Tokyo, and wanted to ensure the most comfortable rest possible. So, sure enough, although I kept my window seat for both segments, we hadn’t gotten far into the NRT-JFK flight before they had made up a bed across the aisle and offered, when you wish to sleep, feel free to move here. There’s more space to stretch out. Sorry for the inconvenience (?) and we hope you have a relaxing flight.
seanp7, crazy8534 and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
from an ooold german TV show (sh*ty screenshot, i know) the signs he puts himself on reads, "do not disturb"
Originally Posted by greg5
AS used to have "Do Not Disturb" signs for Y. I always thought this a bit daft myself, but....
greg5 and flarmip like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.