Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew not easily visible during safety demo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew not easily visible during safety demo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2024 | 5:53 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You would be surprised how many people watch carefully and even take out the safety card, in my opinion its very important but continue to ignore if you wish.
Agree with this. Given how many people don't remember they can't have things at their feet in an exit row it shows no room for being a "know it all".

I went through a phase of listening to music during the briefing when I was younger. Iirc it used to be policy that this was ok.

I don't now, I even although the music is paused make a point of taking off my headphones and listening. Especially as I am sat in an exit row and I wouldn't want to slow anyone down if we needed to get out.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 6:08 am
15 Years on Site

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a bit of onboard tech that played a high pitch whistle into ear buds and ear phones when cabin crew are demonstrating the emergency procedures. Might make a few passengers remove them for that 2/3 minutes.
LETTERBOY and EugeneW11 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 6:46 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: Executive Club
I saw a TV programme where they had a group of students on a plane and from what I can remember they gave the first ones to get out some money to encourage them to leave as quickly as possible. And one group had a safety briefing and the other group didn't, and there was a difference between the time it took to get them out. Just like pilots doing checklists for things they do day-in day-out, repeating this stuff does make a difference and I find it really sad when people don't take it seriously. Flying used to be a lot more dangerous than it is today, and there's a reason for that.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 6:55 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I have a hearing impediment, and use hearing aids, without exception, when travelling alone, a crew member has approached me before the safety briefing to check that I am ok with the general briefing or need anything specific. A very good dynamic risk assessment satisfactorily undertaken. To ignore the briefing is disrespectful, as mentioned earlier and displays a hefty dose of DYNWIA.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You are all wrongly conflating two very different things: the message, and the means of delivery.

Safety information is critically important, and I am quite sure that no-one would disagree with that. But BA's safety briefing is verbose (it could do with being looked at by the Plain English Campaign), and frequently delivered in a rapid, barely comprehensible monotone while the member of cabin crew giving the demonstration giggles and shares a private joke with her colleague at the other end of the cabin.

The thing is, I know how to fasten and unfasten my seatbelt, and that I should keep it fastened while seated; that my seat back must be upright and tray table stored; that I mustn't smoke in the lavs; how to put on a life jacket, and that it has a whistle and a tiny light; the brace position; that, in the event of an evacuation I must take off my high heels and leave everything behind. This information never changes, and is just noise, obscuring the important message, which is: know where your nearest exit is.

So, upon boarding, I check where the exits are, and how I would reach them, and where my lifejacket is. I am then confident that I am fully prepared to evacuate in the event of an emergency. Better-prepared, in fact, than a passenger who stares glassy-eyed at the safety demo and takes nothing in.

Now, please don't get me started on having my quiet nap interrupted by a captain who is desperate to tell us which runway we're going to be using and how high we'll be flying...
Charlie Whiskey likes this.

Last edited by Misco60; Apr 3, 2024 at 7:08 am Reason: Damn autocorrect.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 7:21 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
The thing is, I know how to fasten and unfasten my seatbelt, and that I should keep it fastened while seated; that my seat back must be upright and tray table stored; that I mustn't smoke in the lavs; how to put on a life jacket, and that it has a whistle and a tiny light; the brace position; that, in the event of an evacuation I must take off my high heels and leave everything behind. This information never changes, and is just noise, obscuring the important message, which is: know where your nearest exit is.
With respect, though, the safety briefing isn't written to be tailored to your individual level of expertise and knowledge. It might be your 10th time on a plane this week. For the person sitting next to you, it could be their first time in years (or ever).
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 7:45 am

One question I always like to throw in the mix when I overhear discussions about ignoring the safety brief as - I know it off my heart and I always make a mental note of where the nearest exit is -is this, and NO, You are not allowed to look it up - You have to evacuate in a smoke filled cabin, youve flown a thousand times, youre a GGL, youve successfully in the fight or flight stressor response remembered how to unfasten your belt and made your way using the lights and counting rows to the exit. Crew member is incapacitated due to smoke inhalation - In which direction do you turn the handle on Boeing aircraft doors in order to open the exit?

Again, dont look it up, it spoils the fun. Im curious how many frequent flyers know. It is the same for all Boeings minus the 767 so I wont include it for the purposes of the answer.
nancypants and RichieMc like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 7:45 am
50 Countries Visited

Programs: BAEC Silver
I suppose that this is back to the original start of this but my DW often faces backwards on a ying/yang seating configuration. She tells me that she almost always cannot see the FA, as they are who is often on the other side. Further to this, in the newer club world pods, one really must stand up to see where the exists that are being pointed out, are.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 7:59 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Exec Club
I am just off the PHX flight. For me I always zone out for the bits of the video I am personally comfortable with (eg seatbelt fastening), but always look up for the directions to the exit and visually confirm it.

Last night I was reading and listening with half an ear and heard the 'unplug devices'bit and realised my phone was plugged in - I unplugged it on spot - a very helpful reminder of smaller details you can forget.

Of course I should have paid full attention to the crew announcements as then I wouldnt have been so suprised when I got off the plane and realised I was in Terminal 3!
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by jimlad48; Apr 3, 2024 at 8:38 am
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:02 am
BOH
15 Years on Site

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
As someone who has been in an emergency evacuation and out down the slides, I will admit to automatically establishing the position of my nearest exit when I board. Plus is one of the reasons I always go for the exit row where possible......although will happily admit that the extra legroom is easily he first reason

Plus a few other minor things such as keeping my passport in my shirt pocket and shoes always on, particularly during take-off and landing phases.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:16 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

On a BA flight to Oslo last year, an arrogant off-duty pilot and first officer two rows in front of us talked loudly over the entire safety demonstration. Not only unsafe, I found it really disrespectful and hopefully not indicative of a broader corporate culture.
BA or bust and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:24 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold
I can't remember where, but I read that in a study those that counted how many rows were between them and an exit had a much higher survival rate than those that didn't. It makes logical sense that in a situation with low visibility, using touch to figure out how many rows are between you and the exit is pretty useful. Ever since then I've made a point of counting.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
20 Years on Site

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I do not know about you - but once upon a time on short haul they had overheard screens and the demo was shown on there and played throughout the cabin. I think that largely died when those already exhausted A319/320s came along around 11 years ago. Even those old 767s had them.

I agree with Misco60 's point about the difference between content and delivery but ultimately getting out of a burning aircraft alive is down to you. BOH clearly has his head screwed on - I have done the same but the passport is joined by a credit card - it is an account that I got for some points or other with a low credit limit. I never use it - it is for emergencies only. Do not ask where I keep that - you can as I believe is said "go figure".
BA or bust, camsean, Sigwx and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:34 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I always listen and pay attention to the safety demonstration. I treat it as being done for my individual benefit. I also look for where the life jacket is located as it is not necessarily the same for each cabin, let alone each aircraft. I also take a note of where the nearest exit is as it's not nevessarily in front of you.

I was particularly impressed with Bangkok Airways very recently as my travelling companion requires mobility assistance and a member of cabin crew did a specific individual explanation of the safety features of the Airbus A319 we were travelling on and what extra assistance would be provided if necessary.

I also paid particular attention last night as it was my first flight on an A380.

I hope never to put any of the instructions into action but that doesnt mean it's not worth listening to even if it is the thousandth time you've heard it.. Forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 8:44 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
I get irritated by people talking over the top of the safety demo. I always look and listen (even though I reckon I could recite it myself). I also count the number of rows in front and behind to the exit and glance at the safety card.
Partly it’s out of good manners, partly because I want to set an example to newer flyers and partly because I’m quite sure that having heard it very recently I stand a better chance in an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.