Wiki Posts
Search

BA & JetBlue (B6) to launch codeshares

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2024 | 10:01 am
10 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
If folks buy a Club ticket across the ocean, I don't want them to be surprised by the lack of front cabin on most Jetblue flights.
I'd imagine it's pretty clear during the booking process. When I book "Biz" fares US-Brazil on UA, for example, it's very clear on the class of the intra-South American flights. Same with BA flyers LHR-GRU and onwards.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not convinced this codeshare arrangement will work for everyone. At JFK there is an awkward shuffle off from T8 to T5, and no lounge options there.
I agree this is sub-optimal at JFK - no matter how amazing Mint is. Those not in the know could get caught out.
Old May 23, 2024 | 10:15 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by taylopet
I just recently opted for B6 Mint (pre-sucked vs the new layout) on JFK-SJU direct in October instead of via CLT on AA, resigned myself to a lost points opportunity, maybe not!
Even if BA/B6 don't start frequent flyer earning except on the codeshares, you can credit B6 operated by B6 flights to QR, then transfer the Avios to BA.
taylopet likes this.
Old May 23, 2024 | 10:16 am

Programs: British Airways (Silver) | Air France/KLM (Gold) | SAS (Gold) | ITA Air (Premium)
Originally Posted by seanp7
I'd imagine it's pretty clear during the booking process. When I book "Biz" fares US-Brazil on UA, for example, it's very clear on the class of the intra-South American flights. Same with BA flyers LHR-GRU and onwards.

I agree this is sub-optimal at JFK - no matter how amazing Mint is. Those not in the know could get caught out.
There is BOS based on the pictures which is, I agree, better than JFK for connections.
seanp7 likes this.
Old May 23, 2024 | 10:26 am
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
“A codeshare flight is where two or more airlines share the same flight. It's operated by one airline under their own code and has additional flight numbers under the codes of other airlines. For example, the British Airways flight BA219 also operates under the American Airlines code AA6170.

Whether you collect Avios and Tier Points depends on the airline flight number on your ticket:
  • If your flight code is British Airways, you’ll collect Avios and Tier Points no matter who operates the flight.
  • If your flight code is for a oneworld airline, you’ll collect Avios only if your flight is also operated by a oneworld airline.
  • For other flight codes, you won’t collect Avios.
The amount you earn is determined by the airline code you booked under.”
well the first sentece of the schedule to the DOT filing is pretty clear that "BA will place its code on selected flights operated by B6 between the following city pairs, in either direction:"

so if this ends up working out for earnings etc this is pretty good news (despite the terminal shuffling about)
seanp7 likes this.
Old May 23, 2024 | 11:04 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by skunker
There might be more overlap on competing flights with AS than AA.
AA's network from JFK and BOS is weak but not that weak. These are the AS and AA routes that overlap with the proposed BA codeshares on B6 routes (note: the codeshare application indicates 'NYC' but I looked at JFK only. Also this was a quick compare so something may have been missed)

AS: BOS- SAN/SFO/SEA
AA: BOS - AUS/ORD/LAX/MIA/PHL/PHX/DCA/NYC/SYR

AS: JFK - SAN/SFO/SEA
AA: JFK - AUS/BOS/CLE/ORD/LAX/MIA/BNA/PHX/PIT/RDU/SFO/DCA
Old May 23, 2024 | 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM
I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know if this has been discussed, but EY has, or used to have, a codeshare with B6, and on two or three occasions I flew AUH-EY-JFK-B6-BOS. Each time, even though I was booked in J on EY, I was not allowed access to B6 "Even More Space" seats without paying for them.
Old May 23, 2024 | 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
This makes very interesting reading from a traveler to ACK as that would make a through ticket possible to ACK from LHR. That would be extremely helpful in case of issues getting to ACK.
lcylocal likes this.
Old May 24, 2024 | 5:16 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver
Don’t think this has been covered by the thread yet but apologies if it has.

Would this agreement enable avios bookings / availability on JetBlue flights?
Old May 24, 2024 | 5:38 am
20 Countries Visited100k10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

Think that, along with TP and avios earning, is dependent on how far the agreement goes.
Old May 24, 2024 | 6:17 am

Programs: British Airways (Silver) | Air France/KLM (Gold) | SAS (Gold) | ITA Air (Premium)

Still unclear at this point as the details of the agreement have not been made public - and probably won't be until the US DoT approves it.
Old May 24, 2024 | 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

I quite like JetBlue. Flying economy with them - even without status - felt less traumatic than AA.
Old May 24, 2024 | 6:30 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel_
Still unclear at this point as the details of the agreement have not been made public - and probably won't be until the US DoT approves it.
I think if it’s reciprocal earn and burn then that needs to be filed with DOT and made public as it’s a more significant relationship than a codeshare. I would expect to earn TPs and Avios when booking B6 metal on a BA codeshare however.
Old May 24, 2024 | 6:52 am
10 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
As others have stated, possibly. QR already allows Avios redemptions on B6.
Old May 24, 2024 | 7:08 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Diamond, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
While AA is not great about IRROPS, B6 is an absolute nightmare. The stories of passengers forfeiting most or all of their vacation in high season due to mechanical malfunctions are legion. Unlike most other US mainstream airlines, JetBlue has essentially no backup aircraft

As a BOS-based passenger I learned a long time ago to limit my use of B6 to situations where I can get a good deal in Mint on their long-haul flights. And never around peak travel season
Old May 24, 2024 | 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, but Qatar does offer Avios bookings on JetBlue so you can just transfer them over. A few months ago I did a one-way JFK-LHR in Mint for 78k Avios and $10.

Usually codeshares a cash marketing offers, so BA has had codeshares with Loganair for yonks but sadly, very sadly, no Avios redemption options.
seanp7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.