Wiki Posts
Search

Avios earned from TA booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2024 | 7:38 am
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Avios earned from TA booking?

Since the new Avios per methodology was introduced I have taken 3 business trips ticketed through our corporate TA, two of which have credited Avios under the old distance rule and one under the new calculation.

These are all flexible tickets, booked into A or J, and on 125 stock. Non-BA metal has had a BA flight code.

I’m puzzled why these are not crediting in the new methodology. I understood that some “special TA-only” fares would be excluded but I don’t think these fall into that category. (This was the explanation however of our TA when I queried it after the first incident.) The full fare information should be available to BA as far as I can see.

Anyone have any similar or indeed different experience with this? It’s a bit of a frustration to have earned the same Avios from the hotel bookings on this most recent trip (booked via Avios.com at 15 per ) as I did for 8k spend directly with BA!

Last edited by aristoph; Jul 12, 2024 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 12, 2024 | 7:56 am
A13
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver
I had this back in February on a last minute WTP trip to Orlando booked through corporate TA.
Cost just under 3k from memory so should have got 20-25k for it but it credited with the old rates or 11k or so. Never got round to querying it
Old Jul 12, 2024 | 7:59 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by aristoph
These are all flexible tickets, booked into A or J, and on 125 stock. Non-BA metal has had a BA flight code.
I think for codesharing flights depending on the operating airline the Avios calculation is done either the new way (AA for example), the old way (Qatar) with a bonus or reduction on the Avios earned on miles flown depending on travel class.
Old Jul 12, 2024 | 8:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it's completely normal. Essentially TA fares split into several groups, and in some cases they would be "private" fares, or unusual Point of Sale fares. As well as things like Inclusive Tour fares. Private fares are not supposed to be in the public domain so they will always be distance based. Sometimes a TA will issue a public fare but for whatever reason it doesn't come across on the Avios side. So a high proportion of TA fares will end up distance rather than value based. The underlying issue here is whether AGL has ready access to a breakdown of your ticketing in a currency it is sure about, if not there is a rapid fallback to the distance methodology.
Old Jul 12, 2024 | 11:05 am
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's completely normal. Essentially TA fares split into several groups, and in some cases they would be "private" fares, or unusual Point of Sale fares. As well as things like Inclusive Tour fares. Private fares are not supposed to be in the public domain so they will always be distance based. Sometimes a TA will issue a public fare but for whatever reason it doesn't come across on the Avios side. So a high proportion of TA fares will end up distance rather than value based. The underlying issue here is whether AGL has ready access to a breakdown of your ticketing in a currency it is sure about, if not there is a rapid fallback to the distance methodology.
Looks like my potential gold mine of Avios is back to being the old copper mine then!

The flight that did post on calculation was relatively simple, an open-jaw return and I had made no changes to it. The other two were both open jaws with domestic US legs in between which were added into a transatlantic return after it had been ticketed, and so was re-ticketed. I will try and keep it simple on my next trip and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.