Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I cancel final sector on an IB flight booked via BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2024, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

Quick question. I have flights booked in J from SDQ > MAD > LHR and I want to fly either just the first sector, SDQ > MAD or change the second sector to be SDQ > MAD > BCN. There is now no availability for the SDQ > MAD on my dates. I booked on BA.com but flying on IB metal. Will BA allow me to cancel the last sector, or to change the final sector?

Old Jul 14, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Quick question. I have flights booked in J from SDQ > MAD > LHR and I want to fly either just the first sector, SDQ > MAD or change the second sector to be SDQ > MAD > BCN. There is now no availability for the SDQ > MAD on my dates. I booked on BA.com but flying on IB metal. Will BA allow me to cancel the last sector, or to change the final sector?
I would guess that would require a reprice. But if you are HBO maybe just don't board the last segment? (This is assuming this is not an outbound for which you have a return)
Old Jul 14, 2024, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is there a return sector MAD-SDQ in that ticket? If MAD-LHR is the very last sector on the ticket then you can call BA when you get to MAD and ask them to offload you from that final flight. Or just don't check-in for MAD-LHR. The first may get you a few bob back. If you have already started flying on the ticket then you may find that just changing MAD-LHR to some other date in the future is a cost effective way to get some value out of it and you can do that before checking at SDQ. Changing to BCN will definitely result in a reprice of the whole trip.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is there a return sector MAD-SDQ in that ticket? If MAD-LHR is the very last sector on the ticket then you can call BA when you get to MAD and ask them to offload you from that final flight. Or just don't check-in for MAD-LHR. The first may get you a few bob back. If you have already started flying on the ticket then you may find that just changing MAD-LHR to some other date in the future is a cost effective way to get some value out of it and you can do that before checking at SDQ. Changing to BCN will definitely result in a reprice of the whole trip.
Sorry I don't think I was clear these are Avios tickets. And we have bags, and they always through check them in SDQ all the way to London.

It's a one-way ticket, so just two sectors, SDQ > MAD and then MAD > LHR. The MAD > LHR is 2 hours after the SDQ > MAD flight lands.

So my question is whether I can ask BA to delete the last sector in an Avios booking.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry I don't think I was clear these are Avios tickets. And we have bags, and they always through check them in SDQ all the way to London.

It's a one-way ticket, so just two sectors, SDQ > MAD and then MAD > LHR. The MAD > LHR is 2 hours after the SDQ > MAD flight lands.

So my question is whether I can ask BA to delete the last sector in an Avios booking.
That information changes the answer. Yes, they can remove the MAD-LHR sector, so long as you do this more than 24 hours from departure.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

That information changes the answer. Yes, they can remove the MAD-LHR sector, so long as you do this more than 24 hours from departure.
Thanks for helping, as always, C-W-S. So if there is Avios availability in MAD > BCN for the date we land in MAD, could they add this to the reservation? My understanding is that Avios availability on Iberia is dependent on married sectors, so I just wondered whether that could be a "thing", and whether this would even apply if it was BA ticketed on IB metal? There definitely isn't any availability for SDQ > MAD for my dates, so there's no way we could cancel and then rebook.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thanks for helping, as always, C-W-S. So if there is Avios availability in MAD > BCN for the date we land in MAD, could they add this to the reservation? My understanding is that Avios availability on Iberia is dependent on married sectors, so I just wondered whether that could be a "thing", and whether this would even apply if it was BA ticketed on IB metal? There definitely isn't any availability for SDQ > MAD for my dates, so there's no way we could cancel and then rebook.
Keep an eye on SDQ-BCN, that could always change. I would just book a separate MAD-BCN sector with a few hours buffer (or take the train) and accept that you will have to deal with your checked bags in MAD.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Keep an eye on SDQ-BCN, that could always change. I would just book a separate MAD-BCN sector with a few hours buffer (or take the train) and accept that you will have to deal with your checked bags in MAD.
Yes that sounds like a good idea. As we would need to clear immigration in any case, we may just hang around in Madrid for a bit. The key thing is that I now know I can ask BA to knock off the final sector, that gives me options.

Thanks once again
Old Jul 15, 2024, 6:45 am

For this sort of itinerary I would recommend looking at the option of booking a puente áreo (air shuttle) ticket with Avios on IB+. That way one can just jump on the first departing flight wihout needing a safety buffer (fully open puente aéreo tickets are expensive, but as award bookings they are just the usual 7500 Avios, which can be a good deal if one values flexibility).

On the other hand, if JessicaB wants to hang around in the city, the train could be a better option (or a flight for a set time, which can be very cheap, my next two MAD-BCN flights on IB cost 19 € each).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.