Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Concord

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2001, 6:17 am
Original Poster

British Airways Concord

I was very curious to hear of other FFT members experience on the Concorde. I was lucky enough to take advantage of their recent promotion whereby you could purchase a R/T ticket on the concorde for what essentially was the same price as a Biz class ticket on any other airline. As a 300,000 mile a year traveler, I generally do not have much anticipation for any flight, however I found myself giddy with excitment to try out this technological marvel. December 4th came and I wisked my way into the Concorde lounge at JFK. There was my first disappointment. The lounge was nice, but nothing special. Once aboard the concorde, I noticed right away that the interior of the plane was nothing like that described on the BA website. It was quite ordinary. Very cramped in fact. Nothing more than a 737 interior size wize and maybe even smaller than that. The aisle was small and in fact, when I stood up, my head touched the ceiling (I am only 6 foot). Bathrooms were very very small but nicely decorated.
The food on my two flights was good, but not exceptional. I fly Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airl quite often and their food is as good or better on every flight. Service was average but that was because its so hard for the FA's to get around the tight quarters. The BA FA's were their ususal wonderful selves. They really do go out of there way to be helpful and pleasant.
At LHR, the Concorde lounge (terminal 4) is exceptional. A day spa is located within the lounge (I do not recal the name) where you can have a wonderful steam shower, and a free 30 minute massage. The lounge itself serves wonderful food and is very large. I would rate this lounge right up there with the WING in Hong Kong (My all time favorite lounge). I belive this lounge can be used by all first class passengers and BA gold members but I am not sure.

Anyway, the Concorde experience was somewhat disppointing to me. Yes..it is fast. Getting to LHR in 3 hours 15 minutes was great. But I don't think I could stand being on the plane for much longer than that. The nicest part of the trip was being seated next to Dame Judy Dench (sp?), one of my favorite actresses. Other than that, I do not see why people pay $10,000 or more for a trip on the Concorde. Its very overrated in my book.

I am very curious to hear if others feel the same way.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We recently had a similar discussion, check it out here
Old Dec 18, 2001, 7:51 am

The day spa in the First lounge at LHR is Molton Brown.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 4:08 pm

YogiBear,

Nice to see you around! How is the UA Star Ferry?

Toxa
Old Dec 19, 2001, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Toxa
The Star ferry is wonderful. It sits on my desk and I get comments about it all the time. It was the perfect gift as I actually finance and manage fast ferry operations around the world (which is why I travel so much). Thanks again for the fine gift. And for those reading this not knowing what we are talking about, I gifted some upgrade certs on UA to Toxa asking nothing in return. Toxa went out of his way and sent me as a thank you, a wonderful gift. That's what this board is all about! Happy Holidays Toxa!
Old Dec 19, 2001, 9:51 pm

humm, fast ferry business, often in Hong Kong... Living in Discovery Bay, there's a good chance I'm your regular customer

Now talking about Tin Sin Matao (sp?), aka Star Ferry, it's amazing how they don't take advantage of their brand, don't you think?

One year ago GQ listed them one of the 100 best things in the world. They have probably the best place in Hong Kong for selling souvenirs, but I see just a few "Star Ferry" memorabilia.

They must pay attention to marketing, it could become their main business...
Old Dec 19, 2001, 9:55 pm

Almost forgot: Happy Holidays for you too YogiBear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.