Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking info on the new F seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
I have a strong feeling BA will adopt a similar seat to QF's new F Class. Nice but nothing special.
I going to third this one! Considering both airlines have been roughly in step with the exception of NCW series of seats, I expect the next few years are unlikely to be much different.

I just hope that BA decide to ditch the current NGCW and go for something like the new generation QF Skybed in J. Whilst it does not look glamorous, it certainly looks comfortable - particularly in the length and width departments, as we all know that is where it counts!

2m length fully flat without the herringbone config nor ying/yang and no bed to flip over a la SQ sounds the way to go.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:30 pm

Luddite

At the risk of sounding like a complete luddite.........

I honestly think that a QF-style upgrade (and a bit more) for FIRST would be ideal.

I do not want to be sliding around on a seat that's big just for the sake of it. I don't want to feel like a lonely hen in a battery crate. I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in the front row of a multiplex.

And I don't particularly relish the thought of being surrounded by gratuitous 'bling'.

What I'd like is a solid, spacious seat. I'd like a seat that lets me sit, work, eat, lounge and sleep - and all points in between. I'd like quality IFE. I'd like great food, beautifully presented. I'd like a layout that makes it easy to move around and for the crew to do their jobs. I'd like crews who are as good as the best we already have. (Even better if they're hot).

I'd like a noise-cancelled cabin. I'd like guaranteed Fast Track, private terminals, relaxing lounges. I'd like my bags. Preferably immediately. I'd like exclusivity.

I'd like service so good, I wouldn't risk flying with anyone else.

Maybe it's just me, but the current rush to 'suites' etc just seems like the easy way to grab the headlines and conquest sales, rather than doing the harder stuff like investing in recruitment, retention, training, ground handling and real estate. All the things that would keep the customers coming back again and again for little marketing cost.

I think I may be living in cloud cuckoo land
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Two Versions of Long Haul F...

....Just my opinion, but I think BA needs to look at two versions of F in their long-haul fleet. A layout similar to the current for flights under 10 hours and a new configuration with more space of the ultra-long-hauls.
For the US East Coast and Midwest where BA competes against relatively service weak US carriers, BA can maintain a service and product edge, have a maximum amount of F seats so they can play the upgrade game, etc.

On routes to Asia, Australia (and perhaps India as Jet Airways steps up), they can offer a product more on par with CX, SQ, etc. Without doing my research, my guess is BA's long haul fleet (744s, 767s and 777s) is probably big enough that you could create two distinct sub fleets - perhaps using the High/Low J configurations in the 744s as a starting point.

Taking out seats off the JFK route and other high-demand F routes will cost revenue, but not having a comparable product to what CX and SQ are doing on the Asian routes will be a recipe for loosing full fare pax. Just my thoughts
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
....Just my opinion, but I think BA needs to look at two versions of F in their long-haul fleet.
I disagree. It's just too confusing and will cost even more money - developing such a product is quite time-consuming and, therefore, costly as well.

They could differentiate with different service levels - but in the past when this has been tried it's quickly been extended to the whole fleet (mattress pads, slippers et al) because people expect it.

BAH
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I disagree. It's just too confusing and will cost even more money - developing such a product is quite time-consuming and, therefore, costly as well.
On reflection and further to my earlier post, I think that the ideal scenario would in fact be 14 Teak Steamer Chairs and Pucci on every flight
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by BAHumbug

They could differentiate with different service levels - but in the past when this has been tried it's quickly been extended to the whole fleet (mattress pads, slippers et al) because people expect it.

BAH
I agree with you. Take some of the US carriers, like American for instance. The type of seat in J depends on the aircraft and I think they have three different types. It just adds confusion to customers and like you say adds extra cost.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by continentalclub
On reflection and further to my earlier post, I think that the ideal scenario would in fact be 14 Teak Steamer Chairs and Pucci on every flight
Dont be stupid, you cant have 14 teak Steamer Chairs on every flight....
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Out of interest, what do people on this board think of CX's new F seat vs QF's A380 F seat?

My perception is that in pictures, the QF seat looks more impressive than CX's seat. However reports are that the CX F seat experience is much better than photos show.

I wonder what BA people, who are less likely to have physically experienced the F seat think? And if they think the CX seat looks disappointing, whether CX needs to improve their publicity photos?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought the new CX seat was superb in most respects, and comfortably ahead of the SQ 77W seat.. In fact I posted a report here comparing it to BA, which I'll dig the link out for.

Have sat in the QF F seat, so no comment there.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
Dont be stupid, you cant have 14 teak Steamer Chairs on every flight....
You've obviously seen the new Rockwell Collins Virtual Pucci v2.0 production line in construction then.

Question is, will she have to be rebooted 4 times per TATL sector? Or will she just freeze up completely in Chaveller? Maybe there'll be a Laptop Virtual Pucci for premium pax?

Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Would such a thing be possible in the current totalitarian regime?
Thankfully no...not inside the building anyway!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by continentalclub
You've obviously seen the new Rockwell Collins Virtual Pucci v2.0 production line in construction then.

Question is, will she have to be rebooted 4 times per TATL sector? Or will she just freeze up completely in Chaveller? Maybe there'll be a Laptop Virtual Pucci for premium pax?

How did you find out about this??? It is supposed to be as secret as the new BA first class seat design.

Unfortunately the Rockwell Collins Virtual Pucci v2.0.6 is showing some cultural weaknesses. Being designed by an American team its only communication with the Virtual Passenger v5.2 is to ask "coffee, tea or milk" (yes fellow FTers be afraid….be very afraid.…the new virtual passenger is coming to an airline seat near you).

I have been reliably informed that Rockwell Collins have been lurking for some time on this board trying to analyse the missives sent by the Regal One, without any success. Service packs 2.0.4, 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 all lacked any sincerity and purpose. It can now say the right words but coming from the Virtual Pucci, with a southern drawl, they just don’t sound right.

The rebooting problem has been solved on this latest model as thankfully it never freezes in any situation (well they certainly got that right). However there will never be a laptop version as, to date, no laptop is large enough for this, larger-than-life personality.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
However there will never be a laptop version as, to date, no laptop is large enough for this, larger-than-life personality.
Could they not just plug in an external Ha(i)r(Brushe)d Drive to her Hi Speed USB Port and download her updates from there?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Out of interest, what do people on this board think of CX's new F seat vs QF's A380 F seat?

My perception is that in pictures, the QF seat looks more impressive than CX's seat. However reports are that the CX F seat experience is much better than photos show.

]; wonder what BA people, who are less likely to have physically experienced the F seat think? And if they think the CX seat looks disappointing, whether CX needs to improve their publicity photos?
I tried the CX new F seat and find it excellent. the pics are deceiving until you actually try it! No way the new QF A380 seats are better as it is smaller and more angled in. Also they pack 12 into the 744 which is what CX have in the old F Class. One thing I don't like about the new CX F class seats is the closet, although a nice idea, but it is the best use of space. I prefer the seats like the old F Class, facing forward without the tilting.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by rtwdone4
I tried the CX new F seat and find it excellent. the pics are deceiving until you actually try it! No way the new QF A380 seats are better as it is smaller and more angled in. Also they pack 12 into the 744 which is what CX have in the old F Class. One thing I don't like about the new CX F class seats is the closet, although a nice idea, but it is the best use of space. I prefer the seats like the old F Class, facing forward without the tilting.
Interestingly, they could try looking at the way how ANA did with their First Class seats as a possibility, since up and until CX and SIA offered their giant bed seats ANA has been offering the widest First Class seats.

With CX's new First Class, the angled inward layout seems to offer greater privacy than their outgoing First Class. I'm so not a fan of that closet outside the suite, if it weren't for it, they could at least fit 4G in their 744s. Yes, I can see how BA may even use CX's outgoing First Class as an example to develop their upcoming First Class.

SIA's seats on their Suites (A380), First (77W) and Business (Both) on the other hand they just basically try to squish the space by offering fold down seats along with partial reclining seats. I'm not really a fan of fold down seats to be honest or even those stowable to a wall beds in the case of the A380 suites since again you need to leave the seat in-order to switch. Let's be honest, I wouldn't want to hang out at the bar while the stewardess sets up my bed. By the way are SIA's toilets in First in 77W even large enough to change into my pajamas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.