Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Did British Airways murder Princess Diana?" [The cr@p journalism thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG

There has been no shortage of sh!t journalism over the past couple of days, and there is more that were not worthy of separate threads on their own.

Byrony Gordon, possibly one of the world's worst columnists (and there is no shortage of competition), has written a hilarious list of cost-saving ideas for BA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-money....html

Originally Posted by Polly Filler
* Since budget airlines charge you a fortune for food, and one of them is thinking of making passengers pay to use the loo, BA could go one step further and install coin meters on, say, oxygen masks and lifejackets.

* Make passengers pay to get their luggage back. BA is among the worst airlines in Europe for losing baggage – you almost expect it of them. If it speeded up the process of getting it back, I'd be happy to pay a small fee.

* Turn Terminal 5 into a holiday destination. It cost £4.3 billion – it is wasted as a mere transport hub. Also, BA would save on fuel costs and carbon emissions if their planes never actually left the airport.

* Start charging staff to work there. There's a credit crunch on, after all. Frankly, still having a job is a privilege worth paying for.
Michael Winner is also at it again today referring to those "bumper" VS profits.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...fset=12&page=2

Originally Posted by That Ghastly Man
Pathetic: Willie Wonka, aka Wee Willie Walsh, non-esteemed boss of British Airways, announces a loss of £401m in one year and says he’ll take no salary for July. He says BA staff should lose a month’s pay, too. If Willie took nil for the whole year he’d still be overpaid.

In a similar period Virgin Atlantic’s profits were £68.4m, double the previous year. Ryanair predicts profits of £260m this year. Its chief executive, Michael O’Leary, pronounced the business-class strategy of British Airways dead. In the meantime Silly-Willie Walsh announces greatest profits are from first-class passengers but he’s having no first class in new planes on order.

Doesn’t worry me. I switched to Virgin years ago. Any company that produces waffles in their lounge as good as Virgin’s deserves total support.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ian001
Byrony Gordon, possibly one of the world's worst columnists
Oh dear, a guilty admission: her column is usually one of the first I flick to in the DT. It's mostly quirky, often interesting and usually tongue-in-cheek stuff. Frivolous fun in the main.

She put out a tweet the other day asking for 'any horror stories about BA' (or similar) which had me a tad worried at what might result but I think the final piece is as expected - hardly a serious attempt to resurrect BA's fortunes!

Winner, OTOH, remains as odious as ever. I'd like to see him and Chrissy Iley locked up together...on a never-ending FR flight.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ian001
Byrony Gordon, possibly one of the world's worst columnists
Bryony Gordon will be no doubt be relieved that you weren't referring to her.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Oh dear, a guilty admission: her column is usually one of the first I flick to in the DT. It's mostly quirky, often interesting and usually tongue-in-cheek stuff. Frivolous fun in the main.

She put out a tweet the other day asking for 'any horror stories about BA' (or similar) which had me a tad worried at what might result but I think the final piece is as expected - hardly a serious attempt to resurrect BA's fortunes!

Winner, OTOH, remains as odious as ever. I'd like to see him and Chrissy Iley locked up together...on a never-ending FR flight.
She is certainly easier on the eye than Michael Winner...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Evening Standard resorts to jingoism today...

City Spy: Bailed-out RBS is flying with Yanks

Originally Posted by London Evening Standard
Royal Bank of Scotland has said a big “thank you” to the British taxpayer with the bailed-out bank's latest cost-cutting exercise: it has scrapped its deal with British Airways, and has now instructed staff to fly American Airlines.

City Spy would like to thank RBS for its gratitude in accepting billions of taxpayers' pounds by supporting British industry in its hour of need...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well If I worked for RBS and I was told that I had to fly in an AA J seat window or other I'd be complaining.

Didn't Winner have his Premier Card taken away from him and then decided that he would fly VS instead as a result? Either way I'm glad he isn't likely to be on any of my BA flights.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I suspect AA are offering very good corporate fares compared with BA. If so, RBS are only trying to save on costs.

The British taxpayer does not profit from BA. BA shareholders do which includes a fair few posters on this forum. There was a privatisation - remember! If BA does not know how to discount fares in the face of competition, then that is WW look-out. Now if the British taxpayer was bailing out BA, thats another matter.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I suspect AA are offering very good corporate fares compared with BA. If so, RBS are only trying to save on costs.

The British taxpayer does not profit from BA. BA shareholders do which includes a fair few posters on this forum. There was a privatisation - remember! If BA does not know how to discount fares in the face of competition, then that is WW look-out. Now if the British taxpayer was bailing out BA, thats another matter.
I admit this is a very simplistic view, but if a british company makes a profit then said profits are taxed by the british government and the british taxpayer benefits accordingly.

If same british company makes a loss then no profits to tax so no benefit to the british taxpayer.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
"Did British Airways murder Princess Diana?"

Originally Posted by The Phoney Pharaoh
No - it was Prince Philip
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, Sixt Plat, Amex Centurion
Wink

"Did British Airways murder Princess Diana?"

Yes - of course they did, I think Richard Branson said so ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.