Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto Airport to York University

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Toronto Airport to York University

I'm flying into Toronto on a Sunday afternoon. As far as possible I like using subways and buses. Do folks know if it is easy to get from the airport to York University (specifically Pond Road Residence)?
Old May 20, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Unfortunately, Toronto's airport, which is located to the northwest of the city in the suburb of Mississauga, is very poorly served by public transit compared to, say, Changi. York University isn't far as the crow flies from the airport but my guess would be that there isn't an easy way to get there via public transit, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

There is no rail connection to the airport and no subway connection to York University. Toronto's public bus system serves York University (http://www.ttc.ca) as does the regional commuter rail/bus system, GO Transit (http://www.gotransit.com). However, I don't know whether the TTC or GO buses arrive to the airport, which is probably served by Mississauga Transit (http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/res.../publictransit). The worst case would be that you have to take a bus into Mississauga and then pick up a GO Bus to York U. This will be a long ride.

Other posters may have more specific information.

Good luck!
Old May 20, 2008, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, duplicate removed.

Last edited by kretepnat; May 20, 2008 at 5:53 pm Reason: duplicate removed
Old May 20, 2008, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Toronto airport to York Uni

Thanks. I found a page that recommends a bus to the subway (one change) and then another bus.
---
Bus 192 leaves the airport from terminals 1,2 or 3 to Kipling Station. Then take subway: Eastbound to St George Station; then change to the Northbound subway line to Downsview Station; then take the Express bus 196 to York University.
---
We'll see how it goes. The public transit always lets me get a good 'feel' of the city.
Old May 20, 2008, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL AC*E50
You can take the GO bus to Yorkdale bus terminal (departs from under Terminal 1) 25 minutes scheduled) - departs hourly on Sundays

From Yorkdale, subway 2 stops to Downsview, TTC bus from there to York

Dont bother going into Kipling, it will take you much longer that way (at least 1.5 hours just to get to Downsview)
Old May 20, 2008, 7:58 pm

I agree - Kipling is not the best subway station.

Instead of the GO bus you might also consider the 58A Malton TTC bus. It takes you to Lawrence West station (3 stops away from Downsview -> Express Bus) and services Terminal 1 & 3 at Pearson.

I think it's slower than the GO bus (TTC website claims ~60min to Lawrence West). But - it comes almost every 15 minutes on Sunday afternoons, so you might wait less time at the airport.
Old May 20, 2008, 8:32 pm
B1

While transit is possible, it's a pretty short cab ride - but still at least $30.The GO bus to Yorkdale/York Mills (Brampton Local) runs once an hour most of the time and costs about $3. It is subject to delays and in my experience is very unreliable. Then you have to pay for the TTC - subway with a free transfer to the bus. York is not well-served by transit in general, only buses. Toronto's transit system is focussed on getting people to and from downtown. It's a lot easier to get to the University of Toronto, not that you are looking to do so.
Old May 21, 2008, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Toronto Airport to York Uni

Wow! Thank you for all your suggestions. Of course I might end up taking the taxi, but it's helpful to know what is possible. I like the bus 58A suggestion. I'm arriving in Terminal 3 from London.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AC E
I went from York to YYZ for a business trip recently and looking back through my expense claim, it looks like that with a good tip, the taxi fare worked out to $40.00. Toronto taxis work on a flat-rate system from the airport, and it's about a $34/$335 ride to the York U area no matter what time of day/level of traffic.

If you're travelling at night, I'd recommend a cab as the area around York can be pretty sketchy - Jane & Finch is home to a lot of gang activity and it's not a place I'd want to be standing at a bus stop at late at night.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:30 pm
B1

Originally Posted by kretepnat
Wow! Thank you for all your suggestions. Of course I might end up taking the taxi, but it's helpful to know what is possible. I like the bus 58A suggestion. I'm arriving in Terminal 3 from London.
It's about 45 minutes to Lawrence West. Then north on the subway to Downsview and the York U express. There is no provision for carrying luggage on these vehicles.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Hi

If you want the quickest way via public transit, I would take the GO Transit 34 to Yorkdale GO station, then walk over to Yorkdale TTC station (well signed, indoors), take the subway north to Downsview station, and transfer there to 196 York University.

You will pay seperate fares for TTC and GO, but once on the TTC, transfers are free, and in this case (as for most subway - bus transfers v.v.) no need for a transfer.

The bus will be fine Sunday evening, as it basically runs express from Downsview to York University.

-Brian
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Jane & Finch

Originally Posted by dannythecat
If you're travelling at night, I'd recommend a cab as the area around York can be pretty sketchy - Jane & Finch is home to a lot of gang activity and it's not a place I'd want to be standing at a bus stop at late at night.
Sorry, is the area around York University not very salubrious?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:57 am

I agree that the route suggested by briantoronto is the best if you want to take public transit. However, you'll likely be easier to hire a taxi or limo.

Jane and Finch is not the more desirable part of town but it is a bit of distance from York campus. Toronto is generally a very safe city. Local emergency no. is 911.

If this is your first visit to Toronto, here are several very good web sites for information:

www.toronto.ca

www.ttc.ca

www.ontariotravel.net

www.gtaa.ca

Enjoy your stay!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Go Transit and the TTC both serve the airport and York University. Use the websites above for particulars. Fares are payable to the driver unless you're at a major station. TTC = $2.50, GO = (?) ($10.00) (?)

A word of warning. Both websites are atrocious in terms of user friendliness. I most often use Transit around the world when I travel and believe me, even when the website is in a foreign language, I often find the foreign websites easier to use.

Having used Transit in Toronto all of my life, I would guestimate the trip will take an hour and half one way. Personally, I would take a cab ($40.00?).
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by kretepnat
Sorry, is the area around York University not very salubrious?
Google Map of 2007 homicides in Toronto. The little cluster at the upper left is Jane/Finch (intersection of the two larger streets marked yellow), about 1km from York U. Driving around there is no big deal, as you can avoid it easily, but if you're taking transit to/from York and don't know that corner's reputation, you can easily find yourself thinking it's a practical spot to catch a bus or cab at to get into town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.