Search

C1 Venture X CDW car rental coverage

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024 | 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
I just got an email from Hertz for a rental I completed on Feb 23 that there was a crack in the windshield. I just found out that damage needs to be reported within 45 days for coverage. This is one disadvantage of their coverge vs Chase Sapphire which gives you 60 days although neither would have helped in this situation. I had this same location call me out on paint scrape off a bumper last year almost 2 monhts after I completed a rental and when I asked for proof that i did it they dropped it.
I would initiate the claim anyway, and see what happens. Make sure that you submit proof of the date that Hertz notified you of the claimed damage.
Old May 28, 2024 | 6:57 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The representative would not even tkae my claim. All she said it is over the 45 days you need ot submit a claim according to your credit card benefits.
Old May 30, 2024 | 6:49 am
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holocker
The representative would not even tkae my claim. All she said it is over the 45 days you need ot submit a claim according to your credit card benefits.
how does Hertz even prove it was you and not a subsequent renter?
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 10:00 pm

Whenever I rent a car with this card or the sapphire reserve card I tell the person at the counter that I decline the rental insurance because my card has primary insurance. They then tell me that only would protect against the damage of the rental car and nothing else so I should at least get their basic package which adds more than $100. Is this right? Do I still need insurance to cover other things like someone else's car, property, or injuries?
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joecuff2002
Whenever I rent a car with this card or the sapphire reserve card I tell the person at the counter that I decline the rental insurance because my card has primary insurance. They then tell me that only would protect against the damage of the rental car and nothing else so I should at least get their basic package which adds more than $100. Is this right? Do I still need insurance to cover other things like someone else's car, property, or injuries?
U.S.-issued credit cards do not provide any third-party liability insurance for injuries caused to others, or damage caused to others' property. If you rent from Avis/Budget at participating U.S. locations as an AARP member using the AARP discount code, you automatically get primary third-party liability coverage, but it's limited to $25K/$50K/$10K. (If you're under 50, you can still join AARP as an "Associate Member" by calling them.) But many people would consider those limits paltry and insufficient.

If you own your own vehicle, your personal auto insurance might cover you for third-party liability when driving a rental car. If you don't own your own car but rent cars with some frequency, you might find it cost effective to secure a personal, non-owner auto-liability policy. Mine is issued by Travelers Insurance.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 6:53 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by joecuff2002
....primary insurance....
Primary means one, and only one, thing. If you have more than one policy which might pay a claim, the primary policy pays first. If you have only one policy it is always primary. CDW covers damage to the rental vehicle and nothing else.
guv1976 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 12:59 pm
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
U.S.-issued credit cards do not provide any third-party liability insurance for injuries caused to others, or damage caused to others' property. If you rent from Avis/Budget at participating U.S. locations as an AARP member using the AARP discount code, you automatically get primary third-party liability coverage, but it's limited to $25K/$50K/$10K. (If you're under 50, you can still join AARP as an "Associate Member" by calling them.) But many people would consider those limits paltry and insufficient.

If you own your own vehicle, your personal auto insurance might cover you for third-party liability when driving a rental car. If you don't own your own car but rent cars with some frequency, you might find it cost effective to secure a personal, non-owner auto-liability policy. Mine is issued by Travelers Insurance.
You can join AARP if you are 18 or older online. No need to call.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
You can join AARP if you are 18 or older online. No need to call.
Ah, OK.

More information about Associate Membership here:

https://help.aarp.org/s/article/join...te-memberships
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you own your own vehicle, your personal auto insurance might cover you for third-party liability when driving a rental car.
It would be very unusual for your U.S. personal auto coverage not to cover a rental car.

For those with their own insurance, the advantages of primary credit card coverage (Cap1, AMEX, or CSP) are (a) it's primary, so you don't have to make a claim with your carrier, and (b) it's dollar one coverage; no deductible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.