Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE RTW and lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
AONE RTW and lounge access

Question for the experts. I have a AONE RTW ticket I've been using, and one of the legs is a HKG-DPS-HKG. The ticket was bought in A class, but HKG-DPS-HKG runs a regional configuration, and there is no F on that plane, only business and coach. Thus, those segments are ticketed in D. Does this ticket give me access to the Wing/Pier F section, or only to the biz class section?

Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Officially only the J section, but a supervisor can authorize you into the F section (the agents manning the desk cannot, so just ask them to call their supervisor).
Old Jul 29, 2003, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Your ticket may entitle you to be in First but there is no First on that flight, and since you're not Emerald, you are not allowed to be in the First Class lounge.

It is too small a matter to get all huffed and puffed about. CX staff may have the authority to override the system, but do it at check-in and not at the lounge.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 07-29-2003).]
Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Your ticket may entitle you to be in First but there is no First on that flight, and since you're not Emerald, you are not allowed to be in the First Class lounge.

It is too small a matter to get all huffed and puffed about. CX staff may have the authority to override the system, but do it at check-in and not at the lounge.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 07-29-2003).]
</font>
Yea, that's my plan, since that is when they give the invites to the lounge. If it flies, it flies. Besides, I have found the canis cerberus at the entrances to the lounges particularly unwilling to let anybody through the door who doesn't have their documents in order. They won't even let you walk through the F Wing on your way to the J-class section. As we all know (!!), the entrance to the F Wing is much closer (by design, I'm sure) to the security check than the J entrance.

If it doesn't fly, it's not like I've never been there...

Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:06 pm

I tried this last month, in identical circumstances, and failed.

Edited to add: Was turned down both at ticket counter and at Wing entrance.

[This message has been edited by bedelman (edited 07-29-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
A long time ago, I was travelling on A ticket and was not an Emerald. I was given F invitation by the checkin-counter agent at origin city when he noticed it as a First Class ticket on a biz only flt. I have always found CX counter staff very reasonable about this irrespective of written rules. They will probably refuse if you make a fuss or insist on the privilege.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could try and 'force' the issue (in the nicest possible way), by going to the F check in at HKG and explaining your case. I've never tried it, but I am sure you would get a helpful hearig if you ask nicely!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The answer is 'Nicht'. Lined up at the HKG city check-in biz counter. When she had printed up my invite to the J-side of the lounges, I asked her if I was entitled to the F-side, since my ticket was an A-ticket. She called a supervisor (or somebody) on the phone, spoke for a couple of minutes, and said that since the plane didn't have F, I was only entitled to the J-lounge. She was polite and apologetic about that, but those were them rules. I didn't press, and used the J-side on the Pier, where I had a congee with thousand year old egg for breakfast.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 3:30 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
A slight different situation for me:

I was flying HKG-BKK on a flight that was supposed to have F.

But due to last minute aircraft change, they substituted the aircraft that only had J/Y. CX called me a few hours before I left for the airport to rebook me in J.

When I got to the airport, I used the F class ticket in counter and they gave me an invitation to the F side of the lounge.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 4:41 pm

Pickles, it also depends if you are connecting from a first class flight. If you arrive in HKG in F and depart in J, you get F access.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
What about this situation where I'm on F award travel (JFK-HKG-AKL) and I'm confirmed in F on JFK-HKG. However I'm confirmed in J on a 3 class plane on HKG-AKL, because there are no F seat available (yet). If by the time I travel, I haven't been able to get F seat on HKG-AKL flight, what might CX staff do WRT lounge access when I arrive at HKG? Admit me into F or J section?

I'm OW Saphire (AA Plat) so I can't use F based on the elite leve.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:50 am

Same as Pickles. If you are *connecting* after arriving in F then you can get in. Otherwise, assuming no special favors, you will get J lounge access. You get access according to the class you are flying in, not the one you believe you are entitled to fly in.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 08-05-2003).]
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Since we're on the topic of lounge access, I do have a question about arrivals lounges.

I have a CX F award to HKG and JNB, so I know I can use the F lounges. However, how do arrivals work, in terms of checked luggage? Do I claim it and go back to lounge, or will they hold it until I'm done freshening up? Or....?

I always wondered about this, and since I haven't had the good fortune to experience it yet, though you experts might advise.

Thanks,
Gene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.