Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific - Extremely poor service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific - Extremely poor service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
It is extremely rare, almost not believable, that CX airport control will not be releasing seats to your family if there were indeed space available in business class cabin. At that point, airport team takes control on seat release/redemption and once they are ok to release then you just need to call the CX hotline to change the ticket and pay for the new taxes. I did it a few times myself and I was with miles redemption tickets. Essentially I was on 'standby' and trying to fly out on an earlier flight or a change of cabin on the same flight. I am also a CX Diamond member.
Anyway, if your case is true that it is simply ridiculous!

Also I am not defending the ISM, but the cabin crew have no clue what type of tickets one purchased. Whether they are revenue or redemption tickets, full or discounted fares, it makes no difference to them. So she was only doing her job to inform you that swapping seat with a child is not allowed. Cabin crew only know which passengers have been upgraded by airport control (involuntary upgrade) due to cabin oversold.
royng likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: CX DM, AA Plat Pro, SQ Gold, EK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
what exactly is “Asia Miles Diamond Member”?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:24 pm

You lost me at "top tier member of Asia Miles"
a1983 and globalwanderer84 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Sorry but I laughed non stop after "top tier asia miles member", and coughed non stopped at "Asia miles diamond member".
I am saving this as a pdf in case the thread disappeared for some reasons in the future.
Marco Lo and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by AmD950; Jan 9, 2024 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:30 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, IHG, Air Astana
And of course, if CX now try to ramp-up schedules (assuming they can find sufficient Captains & First Officers), cabin crew will be further stretched. Once again, lost a lot of seniors and numbers appear to be spread very thinly. Hence reduced service based on my recent experiences: (i) no drinks service in Y other than at same time as serving dinner; (ii) cabin crew basically disappear whereas pre-Covid they'd still do walkabouts; (iii) breakfast being a derisory and barely edible chicken sandwich.

Yes, maybe "first world problems", but when CX continues to charge premium fares as compared to other full-service carriers, service delivery has got to match.

So, I'm more-than-half-expecting service quality to further slip during the course of this year.
lowdownlo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AmD950
Sorry but I laughed non stop after "top tier asia miles member", and coughed non stopped at "Asia miles diamond member".
I am saving this as a pdf in case the thread disappeared for some reasons in the future.
My status updated, please check.
Alawyer, a1983, dmatthew and 17 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by percysmith
My status updated, please check.
Figure I should be more humble with mines.
a1983, percysmith, AmD950 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:13 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by feh
And of course, if CX now try to ramp-up schedules (assuming they can find sufficient Captains & First Officers), cabin crew will be further stretched. Once again, lost a lot of seniors and numbers appear to be spread very thinly. Hence reduced service based on my recent experiences: (i) no drinks service in Y other than at same time as serving dinner; (ii) cabin crew basically disappear whereas pre-Covid they'd still do walkabouts; (iii) breakfast being a derisory and barely edible chicken sandwich.

Yes, maybe "first world problems", but when CX continues to charge premium fares as compared to other full-service carriers, service delivery has got to match.

So, I'm more-than-half-expecting service quality to further slip during the course of this year.
Yes indeed, it’s a real worry to which can be added the issue of senior pilot staff to which you refer. I assume CX hasn’t got a chance as long as it retains the remuneration approach largely as implemented during COVID. I’ve been a loyal customer throughout and CX has been good to me over the years. But I won’t hesitate to walk away if core safety standards are compromised because of inexperienced, exhausted or utterly demotivated cockpit crew.
feh likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
The only experience i have with these kind of ticketing scenario is that the "taxes" paid for Adult are more expensive than kids tickets. I learned this once (cannot remember which airline). So they won't allow us to change. I.e. in your case 1 adult + 1 kid in J is cheaper in taxes than 2 adults in J. So in your case I wasn't allowed to swap seats. So after that I just paid for adult tickets even though they were kids (I just declare a wrong birth year if asked). Never had an issue after that.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK GfL, BA Gold, TG *G, HH DIA, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
I can’t be bothered to read the OP’s mile long rant, but from the first few paragraphs, it seems they got the exact seats they paid for?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
Yes indeed, it’s a real worry to which can be added the issue of senior pilot staff to which you refer. I assume CX hasn’t got a chance as long as it retains the remuneration approach largely as implemented during COVID. I’ve been a loyal customer throughout and CX has been good to me over the years. But I won’t hesitate to walk away if core safety standards are compromised because of inexperienced, exhausted or utterly demotivated cockpit crew.
I hardly think "core safety" will be compromised. If it were you might hear more leaks of pilots pressured to secretly go over 900 hours or something. Instead, hitting that limit is an issue. The "service slips" we hear about most are instead the level of thing like "I wasn't offered a refill on my brandy within ten minutes of dinner service." Would worry far more about safety on any airline flying the Boeing 737s that haven't been grounded.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:40 pm

Perhaps I'm missing a pertinent fact, how would OP redeem business class and premium economy at "the same number of miles"?
CarefreeBA and Reply1984 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:56 pm

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
I have been a long-time visitor to this forum and sadly am feel very disappointed by some of the responses in this particular thread. Irrespective of whether the OP was reasonable or not with his actions/expectations, the sharing of his experience is useful data for other travelers. It does not take a great deal of mental extrapolation or empathy to work out what the OP meant by "top-tier member of asia miles" is what we would normally call CX DM, he has a post count of 3 which suggests to me he normally has better things to do with his time than lurking on these forums and learn the lingos of FFPs. How is the pedantry adding to the discussion? Why not just focus on the subject of the inquiry?

If the OP was an unreasonable person he would probably have demanded that his children be sat in J with him and his wife, something that I am sure many of the regular DMs here may hope/expect if they were in the same position.

Regarding "the same number of miles" argument, I believe what the OP meant is that adult and child (AM) prices are the same, hence swapping seats would not result in an adult occupying a cheaper-priced child seat.

Of course, the ISM had all the rights to demand pax remain in their own assigned seat, but taking the story at its face value, I think the ISM could have acted with more flexibility and empathetically. It would have cost CX nothing (not even an extra bottle of water) but added plenty of goodwill for this top-tier member of their Aisa Miles program, Sorry it should be "Top tier member of Cathay".
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
[mod edit]

Originally Posted by KO2546
If the OP was an unreasonable person he would probably have demanded that his children be sat in J with him and his wife, something that I am sure many of the regular DMs here may hope/expect if they were in the same position.
Which was precisly what OP tried to from the beginning to the end. And failed.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 17, 2024 at 2:02 pm Reason: If you have concerns, hit the report button
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:55 am
Z89

Originally Posted by KO2546
I have been a long-time visitor to this forum and sadly am feel very disappointed by some of the responses in this particular thread. Irrespective of whether the OP was reasonable or not with his actions/expectations, the sharing of his experience is useful data for other travelers. It does not take a great deal of mental extrapolation or empathy to work out what the OP meant by "top-tier member of asia miles" is what we would normally call CX DM, he has a post count of 3 which suggests to me he normally has better things to do with his time than lurking on these forums and learn the lingos of FFPs. How is the pedantry adding to the discussion? Why not just focus on the subject of the inquiry?

Regarding "the same number of miles" argument, I believe what the OP meant is that adult and child (AM) prices are the same, hence swapping seats would not result in an adult occupying a cheaper-priced child seat.

Of course, the ISM had all the rights to demand pax remain in their own assigned seat, but taking the story at its face value, I think the ISM could have acted with more flexibility and empathetically. It would have cost CX nothing (not even an extra bottle of water) but added plenty of goodwill for this top-tier member of their Aisa Miles program, Sorry it should be "Top tier member of Cathay".
You make some very good points about not making fun of those who lack the proper vernacular or jargon. I'm often at a loss myself. For example, it took me a bit to figure out what ISM might be. Eventually this is clear through context but that's not so easy for everyone. So let's be kind to others.

However, what I really take issue with (and maybe this ticked other users off as well) is this fatalist attitude some OPs have on this forum and immediately call doom upon the airline. Just because they had a disappointing experience, doesn't mean they have to be so dramatic about it. And to be honest, if he really is a diamond member, he should know what is and isn't allowed.

Also, like so many other things in RichMegaCity, the CX's "travelling with children rule" is so ambiguous.
For their safety, child passengers aged between 2 and 12 years old travelling on a Cathay Pacific flight need to be accompanied by their parents or guardians (at least 18 years old) at all times. Children under 6 years old must travel in the same cabin class with their parents or guardians.
These 2 rules seem to contradict one another, because how can you be accompanied by your parents at all times if you're not sitting in the same cabin?
a1983, dmatthew, :D! and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.