Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific - Extremely poor service

Cathay Pacific - Extremely poor service

Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:41 am

Think this is - finally - becoming clearer now. The problem stems from the fact that the ISM could not know whether the ticket was purchased by cash (where an adult fare for the same class of travel costs more than a child fare) or redeemed by miles (where the cost of redeeming the seat in the same class of travel is the same, whether it is for an adult or child). Thus the ISM assumed (wrongly) that the seats were purchased, hence denied the swap.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Z89
You make some very good points about not making fun of those who lack the proper vernacular or jargon. I'm often at a loss myself. For example, it took me a bit to figure out what ISM might be. Eventually this is clear through context but that's not so easy for everyone. So let's be kind to others.

However, what I really take issue with (and maybe this ticked other users off as well) is this fatalist attitude some OPs have on this forum and immediately call doom upon the airline. Just because they had a disappointing experience, doesn't mean they have to be so dramatic about it. And to be honest, if he really is a diamond member, he should know what is and isn't allowed.

Also, like so many other things in RichMegaCity, the CX's "travelling with children rule" is so ambiguous.

These 2 rules seem to contradict one another, because how can you be accompanied by your parents at all times if you're not sitting in the same cabin?

Seems straightforward, Accompanied means on the same flight, not same cabin.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Seems straightforward, Accompanied means on the same flight, not same cabin.
So who is going to don the oxygen masks if needed for the kids if they were left alone in one cabin while parents are in other cabin? Who is going to be responsible if something happened to the kids? Parents who left them alone in PEY or blame the crews as usual?
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Flew CX 883 LAX-HKG in F (on an AA pts redemption) a couple weeks ago and was not impressed.

Cabin booked 4/6. I was in 1A and FA came by offering pajamas. Wasn't sure about sizing so asked for rec from FA. She suggested M which I accepted. FA returns a few minutes later and advises they're now out of M after they were given to another pax!!! I then request the senior purser and explain the situation. Her eyes get massive and she appears shocked before apologizing and asking for a few moments to investigate. Looks like the revenue pax in 2D got the M and a pair of S or L were now my choices. Purser says she'll send a message and a pair of M would be waiting for me at The Pier in HKG. Upon arrival at The Pier they look at me like I'm crazy. No pajamas. Pitiful service failure.

Ended up sending in a complaint via the website and received 20k Asia Miles.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by hockeystl
FA returns a few minutes later and advises they're now out of M after they were given to another pax!!! I then request the senior purser and explain the situation. Her eyes get massive and she appears shocked before apologizing and asking for a few moments to investigate.
If they are out of mediums, they are out of mediums. What good does it do escalating to a SP/ISM??

Looks like the revenue pax in 2D got the M and a pair of S or L were now my choices
The FA's care less if you're on redemption or revenue. It would have been nice if CX stocked more onboard - but the fact has it that, they simply ran out that day/flight. Especially for ex-LAX inbound.

Imo that's already a very good service recovery for the SP to have (at least tried) to send a message to have a pair ready for you at the Pier, and when that failed - HQ gave you 20k AM for something as small as a PJ.

Maybe next time I should ask for 20k compensation too if other passengers in the cabin chose all the Chinese main dish, and here's only international favourites left.
dw, enelym1978, Jackolee and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
If they are out of mediums, they are out of mediums. What good does it do escalating to a SP/ISM??
I was the first pax offered pajamas as I was in 1A. And I accepted the mediums that were offered then they were issued to another pax AFTER they were offered to me.

And if the FA took your meal order, stating the Chinese main dish WAS AVAILABLE, then returned later saying it wasn't....you don't think this is a service failure?

One final point.... could care less vs could NOT care less. Two significantly different meanings to that phrase.

Last edited by hockeystl; Jan 17, 2024 at 5:19 am
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:04 am

One final point.... could care less vs could NOT care less. Two significantly different meanings to that phrase.
Wow thank you for pointing out my small typo. I could only imagine your attitude towards the crew on board and staff at The Pier. 👏

Anyways, I'm not sure what to believe anymore, since your two rants included contradicting facts.

You seem to have thoughfully leftout the fact in this thread that the SP already mentioned to you that after her initial investigation, she already mentioned that no Medium were provisined on the flight.

You also mentioned in the other thread that you received no follow up - yet you received 20k AM from HQ.

But since it was such a pitiful service failture, I would highly recommend you not redeem your AA points for any more flights on CX
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:27 am

You also mentioned in the other thread that you received no follow up - yet you received 20k AM from HQ.

But since it was such a pitiful service failture, I would highly recommend you not redeem your AA points for any more flights on CX
Follow-up wasn't immediate [moderator redaction] ...there was a lag of about two days from when I sent my correspondence to when I received a reply. And I was given contradicting info on the flight which was clarified in my correspondence with HQ after their internal review.

And given the lack of F awards using AA miles now, don't think that'll be a problem.

Never answered the question if a FA states the Chinese meal is available at time of order...and you make that selection, do you not feel that would be a similar service failure if FA returns saying the Chinese meal is no longer available....especially if you were sitting in F?

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 17, 2024 at 7:57 am Reason: Name-calling
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:10 am

Follow-up wasn't immediate [mod edit]...there was a lag of about two days from when I sent my correspondence to when I received a reply. And I was given contradicting info on the flight which was clarified in my correspondence with HQ after their internal review.
Wow, BINGO! Finally someone here realize response aren't immediate - yet you expected one the day after your flight!

Never answered the question if a FA states the Chinese meal is available at time of order...and you make that selection, do you not feel that would be a similar service failure if FA returns saying the Chinese meal is no longer available....especially if you were sitting in F?
Didn't realize I had to answer such an obvious question - but if a FA offered a few choices of meals to me, and by the time I place my order/choice, and another pax have already requeseted it / it's no longer available, I have no problem selecting something else. That's not a service failure, that's just you too late picking your choice. Don't tell me this has never happened to you at a restaurant before???
But hey - that's just me. Not sure about others....they might love making a scene out of it.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 17, 2024 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:32 am

Didn't realize I had to answer such an obvious question - but if a FA offered a few choices of meals to me, and by the time I place my order/choice, and another pax have already requeseted it / it's no longer available, I have no problem selecting something else. That's not a service failure, that's just you too late picking your choice. Don't tell me this has never happened to you at a restaurant before???
We're talking about F class on a supposed world class carrier, not the daily special at Applebees. But I'll play along so you can be entertained.

FA says... "Yes, we have the Chinese option, would you like it?" You accept. FA then serves meals and comes to you and tells you they dont have it AFTER offering it you and AFTER you accepted. This is a service failure to me both in air and in a restaurant. If it's not available then don't offer it. Simple.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:40 am

FA says... "Yes, we have the Chinese option, would you like it?" You accept. FA then serves meals and comes to you and tells you they dont have it AFTER offering it you and AFTER you accepted.
Wasn't sure about sizing so asked for rec from FA. She suggested M which I accepted.
I have no idea what your conversation was, but you didn't know what size you wanted. She gave you a suggestion.
Turns out they didn't have it.

This is a service failure to me both in air and in a restaurant. If it's not available then don't offer it. Simple.
It's really no difference from a restaurant giving you a menu. Offering you everything there is on the list. After checking with the kitchen, it turns out they actually ran out of broccoli - and ask if you would like some bak choy instead.

But some people would love to make a scene out of whether or not they can get a free gift

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK GfL, BA Gold, TG *G, HH DIA, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
I have no idea what your conversation was, but you didn't know what size you wanted. She gave you a suggestion.

It's really no difference from a restaurant giving you a menu. Offering you everything there is on the list. After checking with the kitchen, it turns out they actually ran out of broccoli - and ask if you would like some bak choy instead.

But some people would love to make a scene out of whether or not they can get a free gift

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with you. Don't bother - Look at the bright side, we will now likely have one less US credit card point fuelled redemption traveller on CX (oh well, until the rant is over and they come back…)
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And FTers who redeem AA/AS for CX F are wondering why there is a bad reputation of entitlement.
DiamondMile and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:45 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
We're talking about F class on a supposed world class carrier, not the daily special at Applebees. But I'll play along so you can be entertained.

FA says... "Yes, we have the Chinese option, would you like it?" You accept. FA then serves meals and comes to you and tells you they dont have it AFTER offering it you and AFTER you accepted. This is a service failure to me both in air and in a restaurant. If it's not available then don't offer it. Simple.
Huh? What kind of entitlement is this?
There are 6 F passengers and they might request same things at the same time and things will get out of stock.

And hell yes, before your ask, they know if your ticket is a redemption ON BOARD.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by AmD950
And hell yes, before your ask, they know if your ticket is a redemption ON BOARD.
Are you sure that's the case? I know that in the past cabin crew would know who is an op-up, but for those passengers who are flying in their original ticketed class, would the cabin crew actually have information about how the ticket was booked (i.e. revenue vs mileage upgrade vs full redemption)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.