Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

1x points on UR or 2x points on AMEX for gas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Have the Amex PRG (2x gas) and Ink Plus (1x points)...which would you buy your gas with?

I know people have said Amex worth less than UR is why I am asking.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I'm 99% sure the Ink Plus also gives 2x on gas...
Old May 13, 2013, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Well hell!! I should look at my contract 1st!

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2013, 10:58 am

Yes Ink Plus gives 2X on gas. After meeting min spend on my Business Gold card I've put all gas on the Ink card as you're right I value UR points worth more than MR. Not by much but by a little bit. The one saving grace is that you have MR transfer bonuses so for the partners in common that offer those, you're better off with MR points (for example BA or VS). Other than that the greater number of hotel partners in UR along with UA, WN, and Amtrak being unique push UR out in front. Oh and can't forget the easy floor of 1 cent per point on UR (or 1.25 when used for travel). The floor is way lower with MR points.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:00 pm

Don't forget to factor in the 15k bonus on the PRG after 30k in spending. I use the PRG for gas and grocery store purchases until I hit the 30k threshhold, that's 75k MR for $30k in spending. After that I switch to other cards for the rest of the year.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
PenFed 5% cash back on gas.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Why not Ink 5X UR on gas station gift cards at the office supply store?
Old May 27, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Why not Ink 5X UR on gas station gift cards at the office supply store?
Buying gas station gift cards at 5x points might sound worthwhile, but it forces you to use one company until you use up the gift card. I buy my gas based on the cheapest price relative to my location (using the GasBuddy iPhone app) and the cheapest stations are rarely the ones that sell gift cards at office supply stores (Mobil, BP, ect.). I'd rather save 2-5 cents per gallon by price shopping and not committing to a brand than earn 3 extra UR points.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by augustus21
Buying gas station gift cards at 5x points might sound worthwhile, but it forces you to use one company until you use up the gift card. I buy my gas based on the cheapest price relative to my location (using the GasBuddy iPhone app) and the cheapest stations are rarely the ones that sell gift cards at office supply stores (Mobil, BP, ect.). I'd rather save 2-5 cents per gallon by price shopping and not committing to a brand than earn 3 extra UR points.
Fair enough, but those 3 UR per dollar are worth at least 3 cents, or 10 cents per gallon at $3.33/gal for gas. Unless the Mobil/Shell/whatever OD sells is out of your way.

Here, our grocery stores have gas stations and give $.12/gal off if you pay with their card or gift card, so I use either a gift card from OD at Shell or buy the grocery store GC in store at 6% CB + .12 off with AMEX Blue Cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.