Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:03 am

I have had to wait slightly longer than what they say twice. In both cases, they called me within a couple of days after the suggested wait time and both times the cards were approved after moving credit or canceling other card.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Originally Posted by Tinker25
Not sure if anyone called auto app status line lately - Applied UA personal last week, got Decision Pending. Called the auto line, every call, the recording has been for the past week:

"You will be notified in writing within 30 days ..." in a not so upbeat tone

Never heard that recording before, anyone?
Took a while, today online account shows UA, apparently approved without rocking the boat (calling)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Tinker25
Took a while, today online account shows UA, apparently approved without rocking the boat (calling)
congrats another +1 for not calling!

how long did it actually take to get approved?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Bummer

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Update on BA: Chase wrote back and said since I earned a bonus on 10/6/2013, I did not qualify. Yes, just one week from being 24 months. They looked up this info, because I did not supply it.
But I wrote back, and asked what if I don't earn the bonus before the 6th, creating 24 months between bonuses? Waiting on a reply.

But this does answer the question. The 24-month clock starts with the last of the tiered bonuses, not with the initial bonus (unless you don't earn anymore).
Latest update: I had to call Chase, because they weren't answering my emails.
Turns out that because I earned a bonus less than 24 months ago, I don't qualify for any bonuses if I sign up for a new card. I cancelled the card, and they said if I wait until the end of the month to sign up again, I would be eligible.

In other news, I misread my Chase Freedom statement, and thought I had spent $500 to earn 2000 points. Turns out I came up $1.30 short, and they refuse to give me the bonus. But they said I could cancel, and sign up again the next day, since I didn't earn any bonus. Unfortunately, that 2000 point bonus has expired.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out that because I earned a bonus less than 24 months ago, I don't qualify for any bonuses if I sign up for a new card. I cancelled the card, and they said if I wait until the end of the month to sign up again, I would be eligible.

In other news, I misread my Chase Freedom statement, and thought I had spent $500 to earn 2000 points. Turns out I came up $1.30 short, and they refuse to give me the bonus. But they said I could cancel, and sign up again the next day, since I didn't earn any bonus. Unfortunately, that 2000 point bonus has expired.
A painful lesson learned. Thanks for sharing to show that it is extremely important to keep meticulous records on everything.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Are there any data points showing approval for both the Chase Ink Cash and Chase Ink Plus within a very short period of time?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
A painful lesson learned. Thanks for sharing to show that it is extremely important to keep meticulous records on everything.
+1

And also add timing buffers (ie, allow more time than you think you need) on timing you're not absolutely sure about, and spend buffers (ie, spend a bit more than you think you need) on spend you're not absolutely sure about. Errors like the above are more likely when you try to apply at the first possible moment you think you can (rather than waiting some extra time "just to be sure") and when you try to get your spend down to the dime (rather than spending some extra "just to be sure").
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
spend buffers (ie, spend a bit more than you think you need) on spend you're not absolutely sure about. Errors like the above are more likely [...] when you try to get your spend down to the dime (rather than spending some extra "just to be sure").
Not to mention when your spouse fails to tell you that a recently purchased item is being returned & a credit issued to the card in question. (Survived that earlier this year only because I had a larger-than-normal buffer.)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I just applied for the Chase Southwest Plus credit card from Chase. I got the "Thanks for applying. Please call us as soon as possible... You are nearly finished! As a loyal cardmember, it's important that we meet your purchasing needs. We just have a few more questions..."

Over a month ago, I closed my Chase United and did not request transfer of available credit to other cards. In the past, I would have called immediately the re-consideration line. Now, I am afraid to call per the wiki in here and in the Southwest threads. (I got about 10 credit card inquires over the last two years.) Should I call or just wait for them to call / send me a mail?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by opus2002
I just applied for the Chase Southwest Plus credit card from Chase. I got the "Thanks for applying. Please call us as soon as possible... You are nearly finished! As a loyal cardmember, it's important that we meet your purchasing needs. We just have a few more questions..."

Over a month ago, I closed my Chase United and did not request transfer of available credit to other cards. In the past, I would have called immediately the re-consideration line. Now, I am afraid to call per the wiki in here and in the Southwest threads. (I got about 10 credit card inquires over the last two years.) Should I call or just wait for them to call / send me a mail?
I also recently applied for the SWPlus card (a couple days ago), but I got the 30 day message. I absolutely have not called recon and instead keep checking the automated response line, but I do wonder why you and I received different messages initially. I'd love for you to call in to help out with a new and potentially helpful data point, but I certainly can not recommend you call even at their request.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:39 pm

Data Point:

In July 2015, I was denied Freedom app due to the 5/24 rule. (3 business cards, AMEX Gold, Ink. SW Premier + 3 personal cards - Citi Premier, AA Gold, Marriott)

October 2015 - The Marriott dropped off the 2 year mark. Applied for CSP and was instantly approved. So looks like 6 is my number.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by bruin4ever
Data Point:

In July 2015, I was denied Freedom app due to the 5/24 rule. (3 business cards, AMEX Gold, Ink. SW Premier + 3 personal cards - Citi Premier, AA Gold, Marriott)

October 2015 - The Marriott dropped off the 2 year mark. Applied for CSP and was instantly approved. So looks like 6 is my number.
It seems like you might be coming up against the 5 mark actually, since Chase probably does not know about the Amex Gold Biz card.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
I also recently applied for the SW Plus card (a couple days ago), but I got the 30 day message. I absolutely have not called recon and instead keep checking the automated response line, but I do wonder why you and I received different messages initially. I'd love for you to call in to help out with a new and potentially helpful data point, but I certainly can not recommend you call even at their request.
YEE HAW Companion Pass here we come again!

After reducing credit limits months ago and waiting until there were only four inquiries in the last six months, my smaller half was approved today for her fourth Chase card, the SW Plus, with a credit limit 67% higher than her three previous Chase cards which were all auto-approved. I only called the automated response line while I waited for three days. So without ever calling recon, today I logged in to see the new SW Plus account had been added.

She had only three existing cards with Chase but 13 other new credit card accounts opened in the last two years with other banks, plus at least that many AU accounts in my name.

The first three Chase cards received only the minimum spending requirement to get the bonus, plus an extra $7K spend on the SW Premier preparing for the companion pass qualification.

11/13 - CSP (converted to Freedom when the AF came due)
11/14 - SW Premier
03/15 - Hyatt
10/15 - SW Plus

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Oct 8, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:39 am

If anyone needs more evidence that Chase's credit-approval process is now full-on arbitrary and capricious--that's a legal term of art meaning "bonkers"--consider this post from the CSP master thread:

Originally Posted by nicksname
So bit the bullet and applied [for the CSP], and was asked to send in documents to verify who I am. Called up to check on my application, and was told that my application was denied as they had been unable to verify my photo ID. Upon asking the reason why my government issued ID was not acceptable and if I could have this reconsidered, I was firmly told that this was not possible and to reapply. Called again, but received the same response.

Bit confused as I have 2 other Chase cards.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
YEE HAW Companion Pass here we come again!

After reducing credit limits months ago and waiting until there were only four inquiries in the last six months, my smaller half was approved today for the SW Plus with a credit limit 67% higher than her three previous Chase approvals. I only called the automated response line while I waited for three days. So without ever calling recon, today I logged in to see the new SW Plus account had been added.

She had only three existing cards with Chase but 13 other new credit card accounts opened in the last two years with other banks, plus at least that many AU accounts in my name.

The first three Chase cards received only the minimum spending requirement to get the bonus, plus an extra $7K spend on the SW Premier preparing for the companion pass qualification.

11/13 - CSP (converted to Freedom when the AF came due)
11/14 - SW Premier
03/15 - Hyatt
10/15 - SW Plus
Congratulations!!! I won't call then. I check my email this morning and got the standard "we'll get back to you in 30 days..." message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.