FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1786233-jpm-reserve-visa-infinite-replaced-palladium-2016-2021-a.html)

fanofwigs Sep 8, 2016 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 27185884)
Are you able to send a link that is readable for those of us who do not subscribe?

Try this:

https://www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6179347311387246592

747FC Sep 8, 2016 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by fanofwigs (Post 27185911)

Thanks. Still does not work for me, but I read it elsewhere.

I too wonder about rate of return. I was going to go with another firm until my due diligence discovered information that perhaps I was better in The Market, which is where I remain.

Venomz Sep 8, 2016 9:49 pm

I am SO IMPRESSED with the reserve. I got an email from my private client banker moments ago that JP Morgan has given me the 100k bonus. I've spent about 11k on the card so far, and I see that the 100k has posted to my account.

Mind you, they said im a special exception because I applied for the palladium, after the reserve came out, got a palladium box and card, however, received a letter congratulating me on my reserve approval before I ever even did the product change. I guess they were as confused as I was, and although I have the palladium card, now I officially have the reserve, with the points attached to my account.

As for customer service, maybe because I have a little over 100k across two cards with chase, and a banking relationship with them, anywho the service is AMAZING.

Every request so far fulfilled, not one disappointment, the transition to the reserve has been flawless for me.

Also, other lurkers (I have been one for a while too) PLEASE stop messaging me asking for my bankers information to a fax number. I will not provide either.

If you are a legitimate CPC, you can easily have them call in for you and make the request via secured message (their computer) or over the phone for an app. My CPC is like my concierge, literally, fulfilling most of my requests even if they slightly may disagree. So if yours is in question, find another, just please don't message me for personal info, as I won't share with anyone, except a moderator

darkhound Sep 8, 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by darkhound (Post 27181515)
So as I mentioned, an agent checked with his supervisor and said that he'd get me the 100k points upon conversion from Palladium to JPMR. We even discussed when I would have to hit the spending requirement and other details. Called back a few days later about something else, and a new rep mentioned that there was no such thing. I found the original agent who denied recalling anything (how convenient). I was upset and got supervisor involved but he was basically nonsensical. Except he was very clear there would be no 100k bonus. So they very clearly promised me the 100k points originally (I should have recorded the phone call), but rescinded that afterwards. I initiated the complaint process but may not follow through - I'm very annoyed but am lacking energy to pursue that now.

Quality control at Chase called me back. I didn't even want to bother at that point, but they said they pulled the recording and listened to my conversation with the rep. They apologized profusely for the rep offering me the 100k upon conversion from the Palladium to the JPM Reserve, and then rescinding it later (pretending the conversation never took place). They reinstated the bonus.

Because of their mistakes, I'll have more cards than I absolutely need: 2 JPMRs and one CSR, and my wife has a CSR. I guess that's fine and it'll help me keep my expenses separate among my various businesses. Now I have to figure out how to spend 16k in 2 months get all 400k points. Probably book a vacation in advance.

Venomz Sep 8, 2016 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by darkhound (Post 27186180)
Quality control at Chase called me back. I didn't even want to bother at that point, but they said they pulled the recording and listened to my conversation with the rep. They apologized profusely for the rep offering me the 100k upon conversion from the Palladium to the JPM Reserve, and then rescinding it later (pretending the conversation never took place). They reinstated the bonus.

Because of their mistakes, I'll have more cards than I absolutely need: 2 JPMRs and one CSR, and my wife has a CSR. I guess that's fine and it'll help me keep my expenses separate among my various businesses. Now I have to figure out how to spend 16k in 2 months get all 400k points. Probably book a vacation in advance.

This makes two of us! Had you not mentioned to push the 100k points, I would have never tried.

Cheers!

bribro Sep 8, 2016 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by fanofwigs (Post 27185713)
Very curious, any of you Private Bank folks willing to disclose your net rate of return?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-...gan-1473268294

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 27185992)
Thanks. Still does not work for me, but I read it elsewhere.

I too wonder about rate of return. I was going to go with another firm until my due diligence discovered information that perhaps I was better in The Market, which is where I remain.

I can't speak for others, but the real value I get from being a JPM PB client is the ability to outsource my entire financial life so that I can focus on more important things, like posting on FT. They don't just do the investing for me, they do all my banking, they get everything to my CPA to file my taxes with no action required of me (no more dealing with K-1s!), they proactively monitor my insurance coverage (auto, home, umbrella, etc.), they stay on top of my estate planning, and just keep my financial life generally on track. Being a client buys me time, which is the thing I value most.

They've also invited me to some pretty amazing events where I've met some very interesting people throughout the years. Investing is probably the thing I value the least from them, although they have handily beat a 60/40 ETF benchmark portfolio over the past few years.

darkhound Sep 8, 2016 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by AAdmiral (Post 27184287)
The JP Morgan Reserve card is a product that is for JP Morgan Private Bank clients.

I understand some people might have faxed in an application directly or had a CPC banker submit it but it doesn't change the fact that this product is intended for JPM PB clients. I'm pretty sure that JPM PB will go back and review the cards that they issued and it's quite possible that they may determine that cards issued to people that were not qualified could either be changed to CSR or canceled.

Sounds like the above may be inaccurate given what xacutti found:
"Chase Private Clients can choose from any Chase or J.P. Morgan credit card" https://www.chase.com/online/private...ge-banking.htm
If I were a CPC and wanted the JPMR, I'd just fill out the online application, available here http://therewardboss.com/wp-content/...pplication.pdf And then I'd point my CPC banker to his own website that says that "I can choose from any ... JPMorgan credit card" and tell him to submit my application.

It's also interesting that the application has a long list of terms and conditions, many of which place restrictions on who can apply for the card. But none of the restrictions relate to non-CPC v. CPC v. JPM status.

Finally, their approval department just called me yesterday and asked me a whole bunch of questions. They knew I was CPC, undoubtedly knew (by then) of the open fax line, but approved me on the spot anyway. So it looks like it's intended for at least JPM and CPC clients, if not everyone who they think would meet a certain spending threshold.

darkhound Sep 8, 2016 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Venomz (Post 27186211)
This makes two of us! Had you not mentioned to push the 100k points, I would have never tried.

Cheers!

^ And I posted my update mostly in case it would help SD88, who was also promised the bonus upon conversion, and who gave me the idea to try.

MDJennings Sep 9, 2016 12:24 am

Originally Posted by darkhound (Post 27186294)
^ And I posted my update mostly in case it would help SD88, who was also promised the bonus upon conversion, and who gave me the idea to try.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully when I phone in and ask for the conversion, I'll also be able to push for and receive the 100K since my acct is less than a month old.

dlesin Sep 9, 2016 5:03 am

Originally Posted by fanofwigs (Post 27185713)
Very curious, any of you Private Bank folks willing to disclose your net rate of return?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-...gan-1473268294

It obviously varies with how aggressive you want your guys to be but I will say they've pulled significantly higher returns for me then any other American bank I have accounts with. In addition to that, even if they hadn't been as stellar as they are on that front I'd still stay around as they're the most personable group of people I've ever dealt with amongst private banks in the USA....^

reacher Sep 9, 2016 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bribro (Post 27186234)
I can't speak for others, but the real value I get from being a JPM PB client is the ability to outsource my entire financial life so that I can focus on more important things, like posting on FT. They don't just do the investing for me, they do all my banking, they get everything to my CPA to file my taxes with no action required of me (no more dealing with K-1s!), they proactively monitor my insurance coverage (auto, home, umbrella, etc.), they stay on top of my estate planning, and just keep my financial life generally on track. Being a client buys me time, which is the thing I value most.

They've also invited me to some pretty amazing events where I've met some very interesting people throughout the years. Investing is probably the thing I value the least from them, although they have handily beat a 60/40 ETF benchmark portfolio over the past few years.

I tend to be really skeptical of people investing my money so right now I'm just gradually moving my money over to Chase but having them put it in Vanguard funds and not actively managing it. I will say that my CPC guys have been extremely understanding and do whatever I tell them without trying to upsell me at every corner like other banks I've dealt with. That's part of the reason I've stayed with Chase, I don't feel like I'm just a sucker they're trying to squeeze money out of every chance they get.

It's going to be a while until I get to PB levels with their new requirements, although I'll probably be close to their old minimum by the end of the year. Having someone to all that random stuff for me would be the biggest benefit for me as well. I don't have enough time as it is, so any way to offload this stuff would be welcome. I wonder if I'm utilizing my CPC guys enough, I'm honestly not sure what they are able to do.

daapower Sep 9, 2016 8:48 am

honestly, I think you don't really need a Private Banking relationship unless you have a substantial asset base. The Private Banking relationship isn't really about them generating you returns on capital..although that is part of the service offerings.

They really offer services that you can't get at a retail branch. Like if you want to finance a 7 figure painting purchase, or you want to borrow against something that is esoteric in nature, then you can approach the private bank. It is a BANKING relationship after all. People in that WSJ article say people are dumb for putting their money with the PB because they can beat them with low load funds.

Well...when you have 100mm...you want exposure to more than just some low load funds. Although the hedge fund industry as a whole as underperformed..there are some really good funds out there that still beat the market day in and day out. As well as other fund types such as large PE funds that have 25+ year track records of 20+% returns on an annual basis. A lot of those investments aren't suited for people who have sub 5mm and sometimes even sub 10mm. Some of these funds require 10mm minimum investment..7 year money based on when they are called. How many people that are at the 10mm level can have 5-10mm tied up for up to 14 years.

reacher Sep 9, 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by daapower (Post 27187814)
honestly, I think you don't really need a Private Banking relationship unless you have a substantial asset base. The Private Banking relationship isn't really about them generating you returns on capital..although that is part of the service offerings.

They really offer services that you can't get at a retail branch. Like if you want to finance a 7 figure painting purchase, or you want to borrow against something that is esoteric in nature, then you can approach the private bank. It is a BANKING relationship after all. People in that WSJ article say people are dumb for putting their money with the PB because they can beat them with low load funds.

Well...when you have 100mm...you want exposure to more than just some low load funds. Although the hedge fund industry as a whole as underperformed..there are some really good funds out there that still beat the market day in and day out. As well as other fund types such as large PE funds that have 25+ year track records of 20+% returns on an annual basis. A lot of those investments aren't suited for people who have sub 5mm and sometimes even sub 10mm. Some of these funds require 10mm minimum investment..7 year money based on when they are called. How many people that are at the 10mm level can have 5-10mm tied up for up to 14 years.

True, someone like me would not be able to take full advantage of it, but perhaps there could be some benefits still. One of my business partners has probably $500mm with Chase and he still has headaches with them and gets bothered with stuff he shouldn't have to deal with. On the other hand when he gets upset with them they do bend over backwards to make it right. I'll ask him what he gets out of his relationship with them.

Duke5150 Sep 9, 2016 9:36 am

Originally Posted by darkhound (Post 27181515)
So as I mentioned, an agent checked with his supervisor and said that he'd get me the 100k points upon conversion from Palladium to JPMR. We even discussed when I would have to hit the spending requirement and other details. Called back a few days later about something else, and a new rep mentioned that there was no such thing. I found the original agent who denied recalling anything (how convenient). I was upset and got supervisor involved but he was basically nonsensical. Except he was very clear there would be no 100k bonus. .

What number did you call?

fanofwigs Sep 9, 2016 10:07 am

Hey thanks guys for the insights, much appreciated. When I was younger I was so excited to become a millionaire, let alone a deca-millionaire. Now that I am here, it still isn't anywhere close to "lifestyles of the rich and famous." This article really sums it up for me:

https://www.quora.com/Wealthy-People...r/David-S-Rose

I need to get to 100m basically.

Originally Posted by bribro (Post 27186234)

Oh man...haha...the K-1s...I feel like anyone north of a certain net worth might as well skip April altogether and head to September. So the PB concierge level service really takes care of all the personal busy work so you have more freedom and time to do whatever you like (whether golf, FT, or make more money, etc).

Originally Posted by daapower (Post 27187814)

Yeah exactly, so I was curious--JPMorgan really honing in on the 10m investable assets--they are in fact actually looking at the 1% of the 1% with 100m net worth or more. For me to save 10mm in investable assets, given my continued growth/expansion, spending, and expenses, will take me another 10-15 years. It'll take me another 5 years to get to 30m, then I'll have probably around 1.5m in net income annually. If I stagnate, I can probably save 1m a year for the next 10 years.