Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 4:44 am
Suspended

You're all missing the point

Last year, I saw a QR code in a Changsha restroom to order food.

It has nothing to do with "wow I don't have to carry a wallet anymore." It's more in the "I'm not on vacation, but my mobile phone is" department.

It's just a vast army of people constantly looking down to get anything done.

China is taking a number of measures to will back foreign tourists, including visa exemptions, and visa-free cruises... why should it expect us to gulp down WeChat/Alipay in the process? We've already capitulated to non-Chinese credit cards and payment services, why tack on another with somehow more dubious security issues?
Old May 19, 2024, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the exchange rate like? I think a service fee is also charged?
I have no idea. You can watch this video for more info:

It looks like the card acts as some sort of a option instrument, so unless the fees are huge, there is room for arbitrage. It says that the exchange rate is determined at the time of your last top-up, and will be valid for 90 days. After that you will need to top up again to refresh the exchange rate. In other words you can secure an exchange rate for 90 days, and within that 90 days you can perform the actual exchange up to a maximum of HKD3,000.

Last edited by tauphi; May 19, 2024 at 9:43 pm
Old May 19, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency_

China is taking a number of measures to will back foreign tourists, including visa exemptions, and visa-free cruises... why should it expect us to gulp down WeChat/Alipay in the process? We've already capitulated to non-Chinese credit cards and payment services, why tack on another with somehow more dubious security issues?
Apologies but I tried reading your post three times now and I still don’t understand what you are trying to say here. Maybe it’s a language/translation thing but I don’t quite get it!
YariGuy likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tauphi
I have no idea. You can watch this video for more info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-m6Qrm2llQ

It looks like the card acts as some sort of a option instrument, so unless the fees are huge, there is room for arbitrage. It says that the exchange rate is determined at the time of your last top-up, and will be valid for 90 days. After that you will need to top up again to refresh the exchange rate. In other words you can secure an exchange rate for 90 days, and within that 90 days you can perform the actual exchange up to a maximum of HKD3,000.
Thank you. I'm really curious if anyone else here has experience with this card. Until then, ik happy using my CSR in HK.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency_

In the newly built area around Chengdu Tianfu Airport the whole pedestrian light pole lights up in bright green or red, so that smombies do not have to look up anymore while walking....

Well, theoretically Alipay China, Bluecode (Austria, Switzerland, Germany), Momo (Spain), vipps (Norway), epassi/Pivo (Finland) etc. would already be interchangeable Apps today. It is 100 % the same technology in the background. Thats why chinese tourists are able to use Alipay during their trips throughout Europe.

During the upcoming EURO Soccer 2024 next month in Germany Alipay Europe and Bluecode are even offering an App that accepts both simultaneously...called mobile pocket-App. Alipay is one of the offical sponsor of the EURO Soccer 2024.

https://bluecode.com/de-at/presse/on...ft-mit-alipay/

While using Bluecode for example, the App is bound to EU regulations.

Last edited by wwtknoyb; May 20, 2024 at 6:27 am
Old May 29, 2024, 12:58 am

Easier to set up Alipay, used Wise to transfer money from my U.S bank account to a friend's Alipay. (Only works if they are mainland resident). Then they transferred the money to me.
Old May 31, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thank you. I'm really curious if anyone else here has experience with this card. Until then, ik happy using my CSR in HK.

I checked the link, right now in Mainland the Octopus T-Union card is limited to transportation by bus, metro, and ferry. Can't use it like a credit card

https://www.octopus.com.hk/en/consum...a-t-union.html

I'll let you know, though, since I'll be in Asia in a few weeks and will be going to SH and SZ. Won't need to walk around with my SZ metro card
Old May 31, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wongbr
I checked the link, right now in Mainland the Octopus T-Union card is limited to transportation by bus, metro, and ferry. Can't use it like a credit card

https://www.octopus.com.hk/en/consum...a-t-union.html

I'll let you know, though, since I'll be in Asia in a few weeks and will be going to SH and SZ. Won't need to walk around with my SZ metro card
SZ transportation, no problem using Xborder Octopus
Marschel likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Silver, LH Senator, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
I'm about to sign up for AliPay. Does it make any difference if I'm going to use either my HK or my DE #? I don't have a chinese SIM card and don't intend in buying one.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marschel
I'm about to sign up for AliPay. Does it make any difference if I'm going to use either my HK or my DE #? I don't have a chinese SIM card and don't intend in buying one.
You should probably use whatever locale your payment card is issued from.

Roaming is mostly fine btw, but not 100% problem free. Just be aware that if local webpages/webapps don't open or load slowly, then it's because you're roaming. Same if payment codes appear slowly.
Old Aug 15, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ricebucket

Roaming is mostly fine btw, but not 100% problem free. Just be aware that if local webpages/webapps don't open or load slowly, then it's because you're roaming. Same if payment codes appear slowly.
On a roaming SIM your traffic is tunnelled back to the network of your SIM provider, and you get to the internet from that location.

So it's true that local Chinese webpages and apps can be slow as the traffic on a roaming SIM is going China -> county where SIM is issued -> China (and return). But payment confirmation codes or push notifications should usually be ok subject to decent mobile network signal as their traffic is not tromboning around all over the place.
Old Aug 15, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Silver, LH Senator, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite

I wasn't talking about the payment cards. I got my roaming sorted already.

For what it's worth I used my German # to sign up but I can't add a T-Union Pay card to the Apple Wallet due to not having a chinese # added to my AliPay. Can I switch phone numbers on AliPay? I'm thinking about getting a Chinese SIM card now...
Old Aug 15, 2024, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Marschel
I wasn't talking about the payment cards. I got my roaming sorted already.

For what it's worth I used my German # to sign up but I can't add a T-Union Pay card to the Apple Wallet due to not having a chinese # added to my AliPay. Can I switch phone numbers on AliPay? I'm thinking about getting a Chinese SIM card now...
The Apple Wallet system is separate from alipay. And no signup with a phone # is required. Not sure what you're referring to here.
You can put money on your transit card in apple wallet using any debit card
Old Aug 16, 2024, 5:38 am

I beg to differ.

besides adding a T-Union Pay card through the Apple Wallet you can also add it through AliPay.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...k#259877709022
Old Aug 16, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Depends on the transit card. You can add money to Japanese transit cards for example using a variety of cards you have in Apple pay. But for Chinese ones, at least in my experience, you can only use Chinese credit or debit cards you have in Apple pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.