Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ctrip/Trip.com GBU thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2024, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
AIRLINES:
I like moondog's answer here. I also MUCH prefer direct flight bookings when it comes to airlines for ANYTHING other than China, ....
It's almost like the good old days where you went through a travel agent (late 80's early 90's for me); the real good ones took all the headaches away from you and provided a great service. ..... As soon as they drop in the service they currently provide, I'll move away from them and likely also book directly with the airlines.
I guess the Customer Service in the US is better then, because dealing with Lufthansa InTouch Brno etc. (previously known as Lufthansa Global Telesales), AF/KLM - which is mostly handled by BlueLink in Prague - is a royal pain in the back. Even Singapore Airlines has outsourced its Customer Service to Teleperformance Hellas in Athens and the service provided sucks most of the time.

Regarding Rental Cars: I used to book via Hertz with my CDP No. (CDP Name: : HERTZ EUROPE SRVC CNT LT), but nowadays it is only 15 % discount. Used to be 50 % back in the days, more than all the VIP's with their management invitation etc. got. Nowadays I prefer a broker like Sunnycars with all the insurance etc. included.

Last edited by wwtknoyb; Jun 20, 2024 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 20, 2024, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
I guess the Customer Service in the US is better...
I'm a little confused as to how you inferred narvik thinks customer service from US airlines is somehow praiseworthy.

The way I read his post is that he feels, in places other than China, it is often more efficacious to deal directly with airlines. I agree with this idea, for the most part.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm a little confused as to how you inferred narvik thinks customer service from US airlines is somehow praiseworthy.

The way I read his post is that he feels, in places other than China, it is often more efficacious to deal directly with airlines. I agree with this idea, for the most part.
When it comes to booking flights in Europe nowadays it is better to deal with Trip.com, even E-Traveli via Chat etc. than with the Airline customer service. LH InTouch, BlueLink, TP Hellas are on a race to the bottom of whats possible.

If one followed the issues with Saudia and rebookings after flight the Seoul flight cancellations, that also seems to be the case for some of the MEA Airlines.

Back in the days, when I used to work for Hertz in the European Service Centre in Ireland, (mind you that was almost 20 years ago) we told Airline staff to deal with their issue once they are back in the USA...because back then, at least compared to Europe, Service/Customer seemed to be King....but I do not know how it is nowadays. I am out of the loop for ages so to speak.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:34 pm

For Marriott and Hilton hotels in mainland China, is it worth the hassle to go through Ctrip or Trip?
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_FCF
For Marriott and Hilton hotels in mainland China, is it worth the hassle to go through Ctrip or Trip?
I'm pretty sure Marriott doesn't award points for third party bookings (Hilton seems a little more lenient but there is fine print), and I know that both Marriott and Hilton guarantee that their official channels will have the best rates. Ctrip does frequently undercut official channel rates though, so it might be worth checking their rates for due diligence purposes and possibly to use as ammo for a price match claim.
DJ_FCF likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not used a TA (online or otherwise) for years. If one books a flight with Trip/CTrip, would the airline status work? Would you get miles?

Sounds like at least for Marriott, it is better to book direct.

I see these Chinese Youtubers travelling in Mainland China getting really cheap hotel rates at local hotels that seem decent. I guess those might be those who are NOT officially "equipped" to handle foreigners?
Old Jun 23, 2024, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by username
I have not used a TA (online or otherwise) for years. If one books a flight with Trip/CTrip, would the airline status work? Would you get miles?

Sounds like at least for Marriott, it is better to book direct.
Airlines and hotels work very differently with OTAs. Airlines pay very little in commissions to OTAs, but passengers who book their flights with OTAs will generally earn frequent flyer miles and enjoy their statuses with the airlines. Hotels, OTOH, pay much higher commissions to OTAs, but guests who book their stays with OTAs generally won't earn frequent guest points, or enjoy their elite statuses (with some rare exceptions).
moondog, username and narvik like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
Airlines and hotels work very differently with OTAs. Airlines pay very little in commissions to OTAs, but passengers who book their flights with OTAs will generally earn frequent flyer miles and enjoy their statuses with the airlines. Hotels, OTOH, pay much higher commissions to OTAs, but guests who book their stays with OTAs generally won't earn frequent guest points, or enjoy their elite statuses (with some rare exceptions).
For Hilton Gold, overseas properties seem to honor the benefits better than the US properties. Do you still get upgrade and free breakfast in China if you book through Trip.com?
Old Jun 24, 2024, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by DJ_FCF
For Hilton Gold, overseas properties seem to honor the benefits better than the US properties. Do you still get upgrade and free breakfast in China if you book through Trip.com?
Hotel brands set their minimum standards for elite benefits and Hilton sets a low minimum standard, compared to Hyatt or Marriott, but individual hotels can go above and beyond those minimum standards (and many in China and elsewhere in Asia often do). In the US, there're simply too many guests with elite statuses (particularly Hilton, because Hilton Gold, for example, comes automatically with a $150/yr AmEx card).

Generally speaking, you wouldn't get elite benefits (upgrades, free breakfast, etc.) when you book through a third-party OTA (some premium credit cards offer their own specially curated hotel collections that provide similar benefits if you book hotels in those collections through such channels). Again, some (few) individual hotels may provide some elite benefits to their frequent guests even though they aren't required to do so.

I generally don't book stays at hotels where I have elite statuses. Because hotels in Asia (including China) tend to provide better elite benefits (and more of them provide executive lounges), booking through an OTA (including trip.com) almost never makes sense if you value those elite benefits (or stay credits or hotel points), IMO.
narvik, moondog and boonkoh like this.
Old Today, 9:57 am

The easy to reach Diamond-tier status will be a thing of the past starting at the end of October.

To reach the Diamond-tier status afterwards you have to have 12 bookings. The eight bookings after one has reached Platinum-tier status have to have a minimum value of USD 1.000 to be eligible for the new Diamond-tier status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.