Wiki Posts
Search

Summer in the City DO: Sunday, August 1, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Cool Summer in the City DO: Sunday, August 1, 2021

As places reopen and events start to pick up again, I'd like to invite you all to my wonderful city of New York on Sunday, August 1st, 2021 for a day of food, fun, and maybe even some planes too.

If the weather holds up, I would suggest meeting initially at Planeview Park, located across the highway from the end of LaGuardia Airport's runway 4. It's a nice, cozy park with a great view of the runway, and is especially exciting when 4/22 is in use. Unfortunately I will not have chairs for everyone, but there are some benches available and I will bring a blanket or sheet to sit on the grass under a tree. If we do go to Planeview Park, I could drive there, and I would not mind picking up a large order of food somewhere on my way to the park. Some thoughts I had were pizza, knishes and sandwiches from Knish Nosh, or Tibetan food. I am open to suggestions.

I have a cooler and will bring water and beer on ice (probably Michelob Ultra and possibly something along the lines of Stella) and you are welcome to enjoy them with me. I'll also have paper cups. If I don't have something you like, there is a liquor store a five minute's walk from the park, along with a Dunkin Donuts, a gas station, Popeye's, Chinese takeout, and a deli-grocery.

The easiest way to get to Planeview Park is simply to take Uber, Lyft, Via, or a taxi. If you cannot find the park in the app, put in 23rd Ave. & 85th St. in East Elmhurst (alternatively, Vaughn College and the Avion Inn are each a block away). The M60-SBS, Q19, Q33, Q47, Q48, and Q69 buses will also take you within a five-minute walk of the park. If you are arriving into Terminal A (JetBlue and select Spirit flights), the Budget Rent-A-Car shuttle takes you very close as well. Depending on timing, I may also be able to pick you up.

After lunch in the park, we could head to the city, go to Flushing, you can fly home, split up, or do whatever. It is pretty easy to get to Manhattan by public transportation from there (M60-SBS, or Q33 or Q47 to the subway). Please make sure you pick up a MetroCard at the airport, as they cannot be purchased onboard city buses; alternatively, you can get the OMNY app or any digital wallet card.

Of course as the date approaches, we'll hammer out more of the details (along with alternatives in case it rains). But I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you later this summer

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 28, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Attendee List

Confirmed
GW McLintock
HPN-HRL
ysolde
Long Train Runnin
ShopAround
st1575
Governator
bk3day
krazykanuck
Zorak

Maybe
FlyerStef
GrjApp
gil123

sqpat17
sexykitten7
SuperG1955

Location: Planeview Park (23rd Ave. & 85th St., East Elmhurst, NY, 11369)
Start time: 1100-1130 ET

I'll bring drinks, a limited amount of sunscreen, and towels/blankets to sit on. There are a few benches but feel free to BYO chair. We'll hang out until we get bored and figure it out from there!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 29, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Sounds like a plan. Unless there's a family event planned that I don't know about, I'll keep company with my travel friends.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Sounds like a plan. Unless there's a family event planned that I don't know about, I'll keep company with my travel friends.
I've taken the liberty of adding you to the attendee list. If anything, this is a great excuse for getting out of a family event.

-J.
dhammer53 and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Count me in! This gives me an excuse to use my Hyatt Cat 1-7 cert at the Park Hyatt for one night that weekend.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I think I might have to be in california that week visiting the husband's family - but following in case I have my dates wrong (we don't have any of it booked yet). So call me a firm maybe.
dhammer53 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I think we're in!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am in!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
This sounds like fun. I'm local, so I'll be traveling via the M60 (Uber, Lyft and Via have been stupid expensive lately and they're not doing ride shares again yet).
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Put me on the maybe list, looking at plans now.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Put me down as a Maybe. I'm going to be in Washington on a work trip, but if I have the ability to take a quick hop up to LGA in the afternoon to say hi, I'll do it!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to join, there's also a concert at Pier 17 Friday night I'd like to go to, but the airfare is atrociously expensive So barring some saver award space popping open, I will be a no this time around
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Governator
Put me on the maybe list, looking at plans now.
I'm in! See you then.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:24 am

It's straight shot on the M60 for me too, so count me in.

Also:

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
After lunch in the park, we could head to the city, go to Flushing, you can fly home, split up, or do whatever. It is pretty easy to get to Manhattan by public transportation from there (M60-SBS, or Q33 or Q47 to the subway). Please make sure you pick up a MetroCard at the airport, as they cannot be purchased onboard city buses; alternatively, you can get the OMNY app and use that to pay.
The OMNY app is not required for the buses/subways. You can use pretty much any contactless method (device or the card itself) to pay in lieu of a MetroCard.
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by st1575; Jun 29, 2021 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st1575
The OMNY app is not required for the buses/subways. You can use pretty much any contactless method (device or the card itself) to pay in lieu of a MetroCard.
Heh, good to know! Looking forward to seeing you there

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.