Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Transfer from AMEX MR to CO or to BA for 50%?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

So I have 140K MR points right now, and potentially another 100K coming in 3 weeks. I am debating whether to transfer my 140K points to BA for the 50% bonus or to CO presumably at 1:1. As an aside, I also have 100K Chase points (can go to CO or Hyatt is what I am thinking) and 25K AA miles. My significant other has 150K AA points, 50K CO points and 50K Chase points.

I am CO Plat for 2011 and will be gold or plat for 2012. In past I have used miles for last minute domestic fares which are too $$ with cash. Going forward I am going to use miles for international travel, which may also be relatively last minute (i.e. booked 2 months in advance vs. 330 days in advanace). International travel is TBD.. but anywhere.. South America.. Asia.. Europe.. and would be economy or business TBD.. (we are fine going economy to stretch the miles!)

If CO gave a 50% bonus this would be easy.. for complexity sake I would transfer the miles to CO. But with BA 50% bonus and the SO's 150K AA miles, I am wondering transferring more miles to AA makes sense. I do have 400K CO and can get probalby another 100K via MR transfer in a few weeks.. I'm not sure if I want to do the 100K from Chase though since I like the idea of using at top-tier Hyatts...

Any advice?? BA 50% bonus ends 7/31! I know BA people love BA miles (unlimited stopovers), but what do CO folks think... is CO Platinum better redemption than a BA nobody redemption but with 50% more miles?

Thank you for all the advice!! I'm stressing out!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually have a similar question....for me, it comes down to whether I should put all my eggs in 1 basket. Who knows if MP will turn into another SkyPiles.

On one hand, I want to make sure I don't miss the 9/30 deadline and even take advantage of the tax holiday.

On the other hand, I don't want to put all my eggs in 1 basket if MP going forward gets worse - it has worked OK for me so far.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shanshan
So I have 140K MR points right now, and potentially another 100K coming in 3 weeks. I am debating whether to transfer my 140K points to BA for the 50% bonus or to CO presumably at 1:1. As an aside, I also have 100K Chase points (can go to CO or Hyatt is what I am thinking) and 25K AA miles. My significant other has 150K AA points, 50K CO points and 50K Chase points.

I am CO Plat for 2011 and will be gold or plat for 2012. In past I have used miles for last minute domestic fares which are too $$ with cash. Going forward I am going to use miles for international travel, which may also be relatively last minute (i.e. booked 2 months in advance vs. 330 days in advanace). International travel is TBD.. but anywhere.. South America.. Asia.. Europe.. and would be economy or business TBD.. (we are fine going economy to stretch the miles!)

If CO gave a 50% bonus this would be easy.. for complexity sake I would transfer the miles to CO. But with BA 50% bonus and the SO's 150K AA miles, I am wondering transferring more miles to AA makes sense. I do have 400K CO and can get probalby another 100K via MR transfer in a few weeks.. I'm not sure if I want to do the 100K from Chase though since I like the idea of using at top-tier Hyatts...

Any advice?? BA 50% bonus ends 7/31! I know BA people love BA miles (unlimited stopovers), but what do CO folks think... is CO Platinum better redemption than a BA nobody redemption but with 50% more miles?

It depends on what you want to do with them. Remember, BA = YQ on BA flights. That's significant cash outlay. You end up paying what you'd spend in coach anyway. This won't necessarily apply on partners, though, so you could use BA miles on AA, for instance without paying ridonkulous fuel surcharges.

Since you have a pretty healthy CO balance, I don't see why maxing out your OneWorld side is a bad idea. Makes for interesting possibilities on award (*A one way, OW the way back). Just remember that BA miles will cost you a lot of cash to fly on BA metal...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It depends on what you want to do with them.
I think this is the right approach. I need to visualize itineraries and allocate between *A, AA and BA. If there is potential use for BA, I should transfer to BA in the minimum amount necessary for those tickets. Now I must investigate which BA fares I am likely to use miles for, and transfer the miles for that. I didn't do the BA credit cards yet either so that can be another juicer to transfer only the minimum amount of miles today. I don't know what those routes are vs. CO.. e.g. does CO's south american network compare favorably to OneWorld with LAN, etc. (not cabin product, just routes).

I just wish AMEX had a CO bonus... less complexity for me to deal with (even if it means less options).. just getting another 200K CO miles to my existing 400K... asked a lady I know who works at AMEX if they are going to run a bonus.. turns out yesterday was her last day...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:16 pm

I transferred to BA because of the value. Sounds like you have the ability to continue to earn decent OP miles. A 50% bonus is strong and with the ability to redeem on American, Cathay, LAN without high taxes and fuel surcharges, you're only diversifying your portfolio. CO is still my primary but this BA transfer is a good deal.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by shanshan

I'm actually thinking Delta right now. with the 40% off deal, 30,000=50,000 Delta miles. Only problem is that the 20,000 mile difference will be sent back in 6-8 weeks. In the past I have had much easier award availability on AF or DL than UA or CO - though depending on when you travel you may have to pay many more miles for the same destination.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
whatever you decide, do it NOW while excise tax is suspended

Whatever route you choose, do it NOW. I transferred a far more modest number of miles (3K) from AmEx MR to Continental this morning and was not charged the customary excise tax, due to the budget mess in Washington. Most of the airlines raised fares so their take is larger without raising cost to the consumer, since the taxes are temporarily suspended, but I'd forgotten that excise tax for mile transfers was likewise suspended.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
I'd never use BA miles for free BA trips due to the fuel surcharges, which approach a discounted Y fare in magnitude (and are even higher in premium classes). If you want to use BA miles to fly AA or other OW partners, that's a different issue. I've used my AA miles for OW partner flights, but never BA due to the surcharges. Occasionally I fly BA in paid economy, but only to earn miles into AA, and I skip BA for reward travel.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by PassatDoc
Whatever route you choose, do it NOW. I transferred a far more modest number of miles (3K) from AmEx MR to Continental this morning and was not charged the customary excise tax, due to the budget mess in Washington. Most of the airlines raised fares so their take is larger without raising cost to the consumer, since the taxes are temporarily suspended, but I'd forgotten that excise tax for mile transfers was likewise suspended.
^ i had been waiting until sept to do the transfer because of the excise tax. Glad to be able to make the xfer for free!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I ultimately transferred my full MR balance of 140K for 210K miles. After soliciting some help on the BA forum and here, I decided:

1) BA miles are decent miles. May not be perfect for everyone (e.g., the tax issues for Europe) or attempting to pair with AA miles. But they can be used by me over time.
2) I don't know exactly what I will use them in advance for. I do like travel to South America and thus BA miles can be used up over time for that purpose.
3) The Chase offers (which I haven't taken yet) will provide for some more interesting permutations if I choose to pursue (which I will eventually pursue.. it's just a matter of being able to take advantage of them).
4) I have 400K CO miles. These might get eaten up with 2 round-the-world itineraries. Ciest la vie! I plan to add another 100K this year and have another 100K Chase if needed. Mileage Explorer will eventually be another 50K (hopefully if I can ever get that offer...). If I don't use the RTW ticket option, then I will have plenty of CO miles...

The next question for me is hyatt points vs. co miles!

Link to BA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post16836936

Last edited by shanshan; Aug 1, 2011 at 9:12 am
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

For those still looking to make the transfer, the TPG reports the transfer link is still active

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.