Houston Metro to launch IAH Express bus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Houston Metro to launch IAH Express bus

From the newsletter I receive (yes, I actually take public bus to/from work!):

The Bush Airport Express is a new bus service we will launch soon that will leave the Downtown Transit Center every 30 minutes, take 30 minutes to travel nonstop to Terminal C at Bush Intercontinental Airport, and cost $30 round-trip. We're calling it the 30-30-30 solution to travel to Bush. There will be concierge service at DTC and at Terminal C. And you'll get to ride in our new hybrid commuter coaches.
No more grand tour of Gunspoint, but at least 15x the cost of the 102.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:13 pm

Not sure if it's a win for taxpayers, but it is about half the cost of a supershuttle ($23 each way). Maybe useful for the few carless U of H or Rice students who can take light rail down there (does it even go by the schools?).
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:15 pm

I was trying to figure out a way to get from the airport to an Astros game on one of my layovers.......

$30? Woof. Glad to hear there's a $2 option that includes a tour.

DRW
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Another great idea from Metro...who exactly lives near the DTC???
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Still a good deal if you happen to work downtown. I can walk to the DTC from my office in about 5 minutes. This option saves $15 over cabs. I'll definitely be using it for my regular Friday afternoon jaunts to IAH.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
How many EQM's?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I am about to move to midtown. So, I don't know where the DTC is. However, this sounds like a good alternative to taking the super shuttle or a taxi. I know the Toyota Center is a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile walk north of my townhouse on La Branch.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by photog72
I am about to move to midtown. So, I don't know where the DTC is. However, this sounds like a good alternative to taking the super shuttle or a taxi. I know the Toyota Center is a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile walk north of my townhouse on La Branch.
DTC is in south side of Downtown, between Main and Travis just north of the I-45 overpass. There's a Metrorail stop there, and almost all buses to/from Downtown will have a stop within a block or two from the DTC.

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 2, 2008 at 11:02 am
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Well part of the idea is that you'd take a local Metro bus or light rail train to get to the DTC -- or a cab or have someone drop you there. If you live inside 610, the DTC isn't hard to get to on Metro. It's also a pretty inexpensive cab ride. It's also easily accessible via MetroRail from most downtown hotels, since the majority of the hotels downtown are no more than 3-4 blocks from a MetroRail stop.

I'm glad to see this service returning. Metro operated a similar service for a couple of years in the late 1990s/early 2000s but it didn't last long. Hopefully this time around they'll make it work.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Well part of the idea is that you'd take a local Metro bus or light rail train to get to the DTC -- or a cab or have someone drop you there. If you live inside 610, the DTC isn't hard to get to on Metro. It's also a pretty inexpensive cab ride. It's also easily accessible via MetroRail from most downtown hotels, since the majority of the hotels downtown are no more than 3-4 blocks from a MetroRail stop.

I'm glad to see this service returning. Metro operated a similar service for a couple of years in the late 1990s/early 2000s but it didn't last long. Hopefully this time around they'll make it work.
With all of the new and continuous growth in Midtown I can see the service being more successful this time around.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
This seems pretty expensive for a metro bus to the airport. In Seattle, we pay around $2.50 each way I believe... and zero if you have a monthly pass/UPASS.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
This seems pretty expensive for a metro bus to the airport. In Seattle, we pay around $2.50 each way I believe... and zero if you have a monthly pass/UPASS.
This is a little different than regular bus commuting, this is a straight shot from downtown to the airport, no stops.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by rkkwan
DTC is in south side of Downtown, between Main and Travis just north of the I-45 overpass. There's a Metrorail stop there, and almost all buses to/from Downtown will have a stop within a block or two from the DTC.
Thank you. I know exactly where this is. I go down every weekend to visit my s/o, and have seen this stop. I've also seen the stop for the gunpoint tour.

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Agreed. In PHL, any bus would cost $2.00 o/w. However, none of those run directly to the airport from downtown. The regional rail costs $14 R/T (if tickets are bought on the train), or $12 r/t if tickets are bought at ticket windows (impossible to do at the airport). Still, a better deal than Metro in Houston.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

$30 R/T is too much, and it suggests that O/W is more than $15.

I think $12 O/W and $20 R/T is more reasonable.

It needs to be competitive with taxis for 2 people, if not three.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hartmann
With all of the new and continuous growth in Midtown I can see the service being more successful this time around.
Hopefully. I'd be interested in taking it if it started before I move at the end of May.

But I'll still keep it in mind for trips back to Houston to see friends and family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.