Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
If you are dead your quality of life is pretty low.
You do know masks won't protect you much though, right? And that most people who get the virus have little to no symptoms, ever. And that those who do also mostly make it out alive?
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exp
Italians from Lombardia and other red zones are being shunned when they visit other regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20..._b-aplnews_d-1
All these lockdowns have created a lot of xenophobia. It's us against them. But we are all in this together.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The entire city of Lerida, Catalonia and its surrounding area is put back in full lockdown, effective from today. Residents must stay at home.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The entire city of Lerida, Catalonia and its surrounding area is put back in full lockdown, effectivei
from today. Residents must stay at home.
yes I’m avoiding Spain too risky with government decisions
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by mcbg1
You do know masks won't protect you much though, right? And that most people who get the virus have little to no symptoms, ever. And that thkose who do also mostly make it out alive?
I know all of that. I also know that being in crowded places, especially indoors, is giving me a higher chance to be exposed to the virus.
So I have found other activities away from crowds that are equally fun and give me an equal or even better quality of life as before Covid-19.
There are so many fun things to do in life and in a way I am glad that Covid-19 helped me to discover some of them!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by the810
And yet there was a wide consensus that taking some risks is worth having a life in last couple of centuries.
If I recall, in the UK they permitted people who could prove that they had 6 months or less to live that they didn't have to be 'shielded'. (I cannot stand that term by the way)

I know someone who travels as much as I do, and was just told that she has 3 months left. It was a shock considering her current state of health. I myself am struggling right now at the major life change thanks to COVID, along with having surgeries in the last few weeks. I cannot imagine if I knew that I had only a few months left, and I could not travel and complete my bucket list items, or see people one last time, etc.

The general tone in my cancer during time of COVID group is that we've dealt with cancer and the reality of mortality, and the fear of COVID is not really comparable to what we deal with.

Thankfully as Europeans we do have some choices, but hopefully that expands soon. The hint of a Japanese travel corridor leaves me to slight hope that by the fall there may be one with Germany (although doubtful as it would be difficult to facilitate)
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 100K (OW), SK Silver (ST), UA (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am an American surrounded by Danes and Swedes in both Sweden and Denmark. I can only wonder what hotel staff and other guests in Denmark and Sweden have been thinking when they hear me speak English, especially at this point.
They are probably impressed by how well you speak the language.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:19 am
Suspended

I know all of that. I also know that being in crowded places, especially indoors, is giving me a higher chance to be exposed to the virus.
So I have found other activities away from crowds that are equally fun and give me an equal or even better quality of life as before Covid-19.
There are so many fun things to do in life and in a way I am glad that Covid-19 helped me to discover some of them!
That's great. Congratulations!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:46 am

You do know masks won't protect you much though, right? And that most people who get the virus have little to no symptoms, ever. And that those who do also mostly make it out alive?
My contrary thoughts: Home-made or loose-fitting masks are intended to protect others from you, and you can find recipes to make ones that give up to 70% protection for you, if N95 types are still not an option.

I haven't seen any science-based paper that says most people are symptom-free, so that might be more a wish than a fact for the moment.

Similarly, "most make it out alive" is an argument that lets people take themselves to the bar or party with no concern for themselves or *society. That homily should come with a warning that "most" probably will turn out to be 95-99%, that a 1% - 5% chance of dying an agonizing death might not be a fair bet when if you win, all you won was an evening getting drunk with friends and probably not even getting laid, that some of the 95-99% survivors will have spent unpleasant time in hospital, and that it's not true that being being young and/or healthy will keep you alive.

*(Society = the fabric that allows several billions of us to have normal lives in normal times, a fact that a lot of parents don't seem to have passed along to their progeny.)
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In another step towards normalcy, the official state of emergency has expired in France. So now there can be gatherings of up to 5000 people. And riverboat cruises (but not sea cruises). Events no longer require pre-authorization and so on. Also the President and central government cannot unilaterally bring back a lockdown. Instead local government can manage any regional outbreaks.

https://www.france24.com/fr/20200710...illet?ref=tw_i

On the less happy side, landlords can start evictions again and the utility companies can disconnect people who don't pay.
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnAx
My contrary thoughts: Home-made or loose-fitting masks are intended to protect others from you, and you can find recipes to make ones that give up to 70% protection for you, if N95 types are still not an option.

I haven't seen any science-based paper that says most people are symptom-free, so that might be more a wish than a fact for the moment.

Similarly, "most make it out alive" is an argument that lets people take themselves to the bar or party with no concern for themselves or *society. That homily should come with a warning that "most" probably will turn out to be 95-99%, that a 1% - 5% chance of dying an agonizing death might not be a fair bet when if you win, all you won was an evening getting drunk with friends and probably not even getting laid, that some of the 95-99% survivors will have spent unpleasant time in hospital, and that it's not true that being being young and/or healthy will keep you alive.

*(Society = the fabric that allows several billions of us to have normal lives in normal times, a fact that a lot of parents don't seem to have passed along to their progeny.)
You've changed my mind. Great!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by exbayern
If I recall, in the UK they permitted people who could prove that they had 6 months or less to live that they didn't have to be 'shielded'. (I cannot stand that term by the way)

I know someone who travels as much as I do, and was just told that she has 3 months left. It was a shock considering her current state of health. I myself am struggling right now at the major life change thanks to COVID, along with having surgeries in the last few weeks. I cannot imagine if I knew that I had only a few months left, and I could not travel and complete my bucket list items, or see people one last time, etc.

The general tone in my cancer during time of COVID group is that we've dealt with cancer and the reality of mortality, and the fear of COVID is not really comparable to what we deal with.

Thankfully as Europeans we do have some choices, but hopefully that expands soon. The hint of a Japanese travel corridor leaves me to slight hope that by the fall there may be one with Germany (although doubtful as it would be difficult to facilitate)
I am so sorry to hear that and hope that you are doing well.
Asia seems to be still almost impossible for Europeans as well as the rest of the world but my hope is also right now that Japan might open to certain countries in the next 2 months or so.

You are very fortunate that you can travel to many European countries and hope you get to make some good use of it.
We are doing our first flight on Tuesday, just to Calgary to spend 4 days in Banff and Lake Louise. We just wanted to get out, especially going on a plane again will be a treat.
Europe is next on our list but we are waiting until the end of August to see how things will develop and hopefull travel in September or October. Maybe by then Canada will have opened up to Europeans as well to enter without having to self isolate.

Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best with your health situation.
exbayern and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:27 pm
Suspended

I do find this view that if you do not wear a mask you will die, and how dare you be so selfish not to 100% believe the view that masks will eradicate the virus completely baffling.

Life is all about risk. We take risks everyday. We are more likely to die driving our cars everyday than we are dying of covid19. So will the same posters banging on about masks, stop driving/flying ever cause then they know for sure they will not die in a car/plane crash?
mcbg1 and the810 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:30 pm
Suspended

If you are dead your quality of life is pretty low.
Being fearful of a virus constantly is hardly quality of life...End of the day its a natural thing than kills some but not many. We have to deal with it and grow up.

This hysteria is entirely not proportionate. Lets ban all cars then as they kill too.

Masks are uncomfortable and not actually very hygienic either. I would not be surprised if people get ill due to wearing them.
mcbg1 and the810 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I do find this view that if you do not wear a mask you will die, and how dare you be so selfish not to 100% believe the view that masks will eradicate the virus completely baffling.

Life is all about risk. We take risks everyday. We are more likely to die driving our cars everyday than we are dying of covid19. So will the same posters banging on about masks, stop driving/flying ever cause then they know for sure they will not die in a car/plane crash?
I think you just said that every 100 times I go out for a drive I have a 1-5% chance of killing myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.