Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcbg1
It's impossible to argue with people who say that. They are scared and they are holding on to this to feel like they have some control over the situation. But they don't and people will still do what they want to do. Assess your own risk, take some precautions and then enjoy your life. It's all we can do. We can spend all year hiding from the virus to eradicate it and then all die from a nuclear war next year.
Yes, I think a lot of people are failing to grasp that a virus is a natural thing and we really cannot control it. It is invented by nature and is a natural disaster. Might as well argue we can stop volcanoes by building huge screens over them (actually I will not give some of the posters on here any ideas).

We have to just get on with our lives, and stop pretending we can magically end the virus with bits of cloth.
mcbg1, the810 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I agree. Usually when a government prints money like there is now tomorrow it leads to huge devaluation, but as everyone is doing it now it does not seem to matter. However the UK and US have the independence to get on with it, the eurozone on the other hand....that is going to be interesting.

Of the Ł190Bn spent by HMG on covid19 support measures, Ł100Bn has been conjured up out of thin air by the BoE.
Don't worry the money printing isn't over yet!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think we may need to classify refusal to take basic public health precautions as an underlying medical condition and do some research on it...
Sjoerd, DYKWIA and dll2k20 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
I think we may need to classify refusal to take basic public health precautions as an underlying medical condition and do some research on it...
I think hysteria and self belief one can control natural disasters may also qualify too
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Ultimately, everyone has the responsibility to protect themselves. Everyone is aware of the risks associated with the virus and should act accordingly. You cannot control what others do so it is a losing battle. Anyway, a lot of innocent people die because someone else chose to get in a car and to drive it.
We actually can control what others do? I'm sorry, as far as I'm aware:

There are laws against drunk driving, and if you get caught, you get punished.

There are laws about wearing safety equipment around building sites. If your staff don't wear it, you get fined.

There are laws about wearing seat belts. If you don't wear them, you get punished.

There are laws about face masks. If you don't wear them, you get punished.

Should we not have laws against drunk driving, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws about wearing safety equipment, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws about wearing seat belts, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws, because some people will ignore it selfishly, therefore it's a losing battle?

No, we have laws, and we enforce laws, because those laws are there for a good reason.

And also, your strawman of "it's unenforceable" is exactly that, a strawman, because whether people choose to do the right thing, does not change the fact that it is the right thing, which is the actual argument here, and not whether it's enforceable, so do not try to hide behind "well it's unenforcable" - even if it were, it does not change that it is morally and ethically the right thing to wear one and that opting out is selfish.

Hardly, what if someone has breathing problems, or finds it claustrophobic, or is concerned about the poor hygiene aspects of a mask?

I would argue it is just as selfish of people to insist on masks and criticize those who do not wear them, as it alleviates their paranoia. If someone is SO OBSESSED and concerned with getting the virus, stay at home. Nobody is forcing you not to.
Your strawman arguments fool literally no one.

If they can physically wear one, whether they find it "claustrophobic" or not, they can physically wear one, and are thus morally & ethically obligated to wear one.

I find this so ironic.

You say, "but what about claustrophobia. I can't stand to wear one. It makes me scared. And so if I can't go out without wearing a mask, then I can't go out at all."

Have you ever decided to take this argument one step further, and consider that:

* People who are elderly, with less time to live than you, whose every day is even more precious,
* People who are recovering from cancer.
* People who have weakened immune systems.
* People with health conditions.

Can't themselves safely step outside, because others are not taking mitigation techniques to lessen the spread and bring it down, that they physically can do, but choose not to, because they feel "claustrophobic"?

Anyone that can physically & medically wear a mask, but chooses not to, because they don't like it, not because they medically can't, but because they don't like it and complains that otherwise their freedom of movement is restricted, is, ironically, directly causing these groups of people to have their freedom to safety of movement restricted.

You say, ironically, "if people don't like me not wearing a mask, then STAY HOME"

Why don't you apply that logic to yourself? If you don't like wearing a mask, then YOU "stay home."
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
We actually can control what others do? I'm sorry, as far as I'm aware:

There are laws against drunk driving, and if you get caught, you get punished.

There are laws about wearing safety equipment around building sites. If your staff don't wear it, you get fined.

There are laws about wearing seat belts. If you don't wear them, you get punished.

There are laws about face masks. If you don't wear them, you get punished.

Should we not have laws against drunk driving, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws about wearing safety equipment, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws about wearing seat belts, because "it's a losing battle" since some will ignore it?

Should we not have laws, because some people will ignore it selfishly, therefore it's a losing battle?

No, we have laws, and we enforce laws, because those laws are there for a good reason.

And also, your strawman of "it's unenforceable" is exactly that, a strawman, because whether people choose to do the right thing, does not change the fact that it is the right thing, which is the actual argument here, and not whether it's enforceable, so do not try to hide behind "well it's unenforcable" - even if it were, it does not change that it is morally and ethically the right thing to wear one and that opting out is selfish.

Your strawman arguments fool literally no one.

If they can physically wear one, whether they find it "claustrophobic" or not, they can physically wear one, and are thus morally & ethically obligated to wear one.

I find this so ironic.

You say, "but what about claustrophobia. I can't stand to wear one. It makes me scared. And so if I can't go out without wearing a mask, then I can't go out at all."

Have you ever decided to take this argument one step further, and consider that:

* People who are elderly, with less time to live than you, whose every day is even more precious,
* People who are recovering from cancer.
* People who have weakened immune systems.
* People with health conditions.

Can't themselves safely step outside, because others are not taking mitigation techniques to lessen the spread and bring it down, that they physically can do, but choose not to, because they feel "claustrophobic"?

Anyone that can physically & medically wear a mask, but chooses not to, because they don't like it, not because they medically can't, but because they don't like it and complains that otherwise their freedom of movement is restricted, is, ironically, directly causing these groups of people to have their freedom to safety of movement restricted.

You say, ironically, "if people don't like me not wearing a mask, then STAY HOME"

Why don't you apply that logic to yourself? If you don't like wearing a mask, then YOU "stay home."
I will do what I want and you do what you want. Easy, right? You're based in New Zealand according to your profile. You're certainly not wearing a mask in your day to day life. But I guess you will when inevitably the virus makes its way through your country the moment you let your guards down.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

I will do what I want and you do what you want. Easy, right?
No I'm sorry. If you:

Want to drive drunk, you can't do what you want.

If you want to not wear a hard hat in a building site, you can't do what you want.

You can't just do what you want, if what you want is risky & dangerous, and impacts others.

Otherwise, we literally wouldn't have laws.

Me living in NZ, does not change anything I have to say. If you dislike our approach, go ahead. It's literally not relevant to the discussion, so why bring it up.

It doesn't change that your decision to not wear a mask is selfish.

Don't divert from that. Your decision to not wear a mask is selfish, and the argument of "I'll do what I want, you do what you want" is a literal strawman, because we have laws, and all of us, are glad we have laws, that stop people taking actions against us, that hurt us & are dangerous.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:01 pm
Suspended

No I'm sorry. If you:

Want to drive drunk, you can't do what you want.

If you want to not wear a hard hat in a building site, you can't do what you want.

You can't just do what you want, if what you want is risky & dangerous, and impacts others.

Otherwise, we literally wouldn't have laws.
Big difference between rules with a purpose and nonsense hysteria, and infringing on personal liberties. I.e You cannot go outside. Pathetic.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Big difference between rules with a purpose and nonsense hysteria, and infringing on personal liberties. I.e You cannot go outside. Pathetic.
It is not up to you to decide which rules have a purpose.
Feel free to move to Brazil or certain parts of the USA if you want to live in a country or state where Covidiots make the rules.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:05 pm

Nope. What you gonna do about it?
I know what I'm going to do about it.

I'm going to call you exactly what you are.

Morally & ethically bankrupt, and incredibly selfish.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
It is not up to you to decide which rules have a purpose.
Feel free to move to Brazil or certain parts of the USA if you want to live in a country or state where Covidiots make the rules.
Nah I am happy in the UK thanks

And nobody can ever question the rules? Hmmm maybe China or North Korea is a place for you?
the810 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Oh no, I will lose soooo much sleep!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

No it is the position of a lot of the UK judging by the amount of people I saw on the streets today living happy, normal lives just as if it was pre COVID 19.
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
No it is the position of a lot of the UK judging by the amount of people I saw on the streets today living happy, normal lives just as if it was pre COVID 19.
Ah but anyone enjoying themselves and exercising their civil liberties is selfish and morally bankrupt!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
They are not even allowed to post their anti-mask rants here anyway, even Flyertalk has determined that this is outside of acceptable behavior here.... I think at a minimum if you want to break the laws and not follow the rules and potentially infect a bunch of people, it will be between you and your conscience and whatever other repercussions you may have, but don't come here to brag and try to get the moral high ground, at least have the decency to be ashamed a bit, lol...
Sjoerd, bensyd and largeeyes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.