Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I also think it's highly likely the Commission will recommend external borders still shut for another month, with a heavy emphasis on opening the internal borders as much as possible.
I'm just wondering from my sense. As in I fly from London to Greece via Germany. Then what? I am treated as if i flew from London?
Old May 30, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I also think it's highly likely the Commission will recommend external borders still shut for another month, with a heavy emphasis on opening the internal borders as much as possible.

That would be ideal.

In fact don't open up until widespread vaccinations, if containing infections is the highest and only goal.

But obviously there are a lot of economic pressures to resume travel for at least part of this summer.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I'm just wondering from my sense. As in I fly from London to Greece via Germany. Then what? I am treated as if i flew from London?
I guess when they are screening for where the arriving passenger has been, they will ask where you've been the past 14 days. So you'd list the UK. Obviously they'd know you're arriving from Germany though it may just have been a connection.

But the Greece Foreign Ministry announcement linked in the Bloomberg article implies that from July 1, they won't have any different ways of treating arrivals by originating airport, only in the period from June 15 to July 1.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I guess when they are screening for where the arriving passenger has been, they will ask where you've been the past 14 days. So you'd list the UK. Obviously they'd know you're arriving from Germany though it may just have been a connection.

But the Greece Foreign Ministry announcement linked in the Bloomberg article implies that from July 1, they won't have any different ways of treating arrivals by originating airport, only in the period from June 15 to July 1.
---------------------

https://www.mfa.gr/en/current-affair...the-world.html

Greece welcomes the world

Greece is ready once again to welcome the world. Here is how:

Phase 1 – Until 15 June
International flights are allowed only into Athens airport.
All visitors are tested upon arrival and are required to stay overnight at a designated hotel. If the test is negative, then the passenger self-quarantines for 7 days. If the test is positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days.

Phase 2 – Bridge phase- 15 June to 30 June
International flights are allowed into Athens and Thessaloniki airports.
If your travel originated from an airport not in the EASA affected area list (https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-0...easa-downloads), then you are only subject to random tests upon arrival.
If you originate from an airport on the EASA affected area list, then you will be tested upon arrival. An overnight stay at a designated hotel is required. If the test is negative then the passenger self-quarantines for 7 days. If the test is positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days.

Phase 3 – 1 July onwards
International flights are allowed into all airports in Greece.
Visitors are subject to random tests upon arrival.
Additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date.

In addition:
Land border arrivals from Albania, North Macedonia and Bulgaria will be allowed as of 15 June. Visitors will be subject to random tests upon arrival.
Arrivals by sea will be allowed as of 1 July. Visitors will be subject to random tests upon arrival.
Greece at any stage retains the right to modify any of the above in light of changing circumstances.

Frequent Questions and Answers
Q: The European Commission has recommended to member States to restrict non-essential travel from third countries until 15 June 2020. Is this applicable to Greece?
A: Yes. Non-essential travel from third countries to Greece is restricted until 15 June 2020.

Q: Until 15 June 2020, all travelers arriving in Greece undergo a compulsory Covid-19 test and a quarantine. Is this applicable to citizens of all countries?
A: Yes. All travelers, irrespective of nationality, including nationals of EU and Schengen Plus countries, are tested and quarantined. The same rules obviously apply to Greek citizens. If the test is negative, they are placed in a 7-day self-quarantine; if the test is positive, they are under monitored 14-day quarantine. The measures are for the protection of public health and are applicable to all travelers without discrimination.

Q: Are there direct commercial flights from international destination to all Greek airports?
A: Throughout the Covid-19 crisis, there have been direct international flights from many Schengen Plus airports. Until 15 June, international flights arrive only into Athens International Airport. As of 15 June, international flights resume at the Thessaloniki Airport and as of 1 July international flights resume to all Greek airports. Domestic flights have been allowed throughout.

Q: What will change on 15 June 2020?
A: 15 June inaugurates the gradual return to normalcy. Compulsory testing and quarantine will be limited only to travelers, irrespective of nationality, arriving from airports of affected areas with high risk of transmission of the Covid-19 infection, as assessed by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). The list is constantly updated and travelers should check before traveling (https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-0...easa-downloads).
All other travelers will enter restriction-free and may be subject to random tests upon arrival.

Q: What will change on 1 July 2020?
A: All travelers will be subject to random tests upon arrival. Additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date.

Q: Is there a difference whether travel is direct or via transit?
A: No. The same rules apply whether travel is completed directly point-to-point or via transit.
-----------------------------

What is confusing for me is the last question.

"​​​​​​Q: Is there a difference whether travel is direct or via transit?
A: No. The same rules apply whether travel is completed directly point-to-point or via transit."

So if I do London-Germany-Athens on June 16 I am treated as if I flew from Germany?
Old May 30, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
---------------------

https://www.mfa.gr/en/current-affair...the-world.html

Greece welcomes the world

Greece is ready once again to welcome the world. Here is how:

Phase 1 – Until 15 June
International flights are allowed only into Athens airport.
All visitors are tested upon arrival and are required to stay overnight at a designated hotel. If the test is negative, then the passenger self-quarantines for 7 days. If the test is positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days.

Phase 2 – Bridge phase- 15 June to 30 June
International flights are allowed into Athens and Thessaloniki airports.
If your travel originated from an airport not in the EASA affected area list (https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-0...easa-downloads), then you are only subject to random tests upon arrival.
If you originate from an airport on the EASA affected area list, then you will be tested upon arrival. An overnight stay at a designated hotel is required. If the test is negative then the passenger self-quarantines for 7 days. If the test is positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days.

Phase 3 – 1 July onwards
International flights are allowed into all airports in Greece.
Visitors are subject to random tests upon arrival.
Additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date.

In addition:
Land border arrivals from Albania, North Macedonia and Bulgaria will be allowed as of 15 June. Visitors will be subject to random tests upon arrival.
Arrivals by sea will be allowed as of 1 July. Visitors will be subject to random tests upon arrival.
Greece at any stage retains the right to modify any of the above in light of changing circumstances.

Frequent Questions and Answers
Q: The European Commission has recommended to member States to restrict non-essential travel from third countries until 15 June 2020. Is this applicable to Greece?
A: Yes. Non-essential travel from third countries to Greece is restricted until 15 June 2020.

Q: Until 15 June 2020, all travelers arriving in Greece undergo a compulsory Covid-19 test and a quarantine. Is this applicable to citizens of all countries?
A: Yes. All travelers, irrespective of nationality, including nationals of EU and Schengen Plus countries, are tested and quarantined. The same rules obviously apply to Greek citizens. If the test is negative, they are placed in a 7-day self-quarantine; if the test is positive, they are under monitored 14-day quarantine. The measures are for the protection of public health and are applicable to all travelers without discrimination.

Q: Are there direct commercial flights from international destination to all Greek airports?
A: Throughout the Covid-19 crisis, there have been direct international flights from many Schengen Plus airports. Until 15 June, international flights arrive only into Athens International Airport. As of 15 June, international flights resume at the Thessaloniki Airport and as of 1 July international flights resume to all Greek airports. Domestic flights have been allowed throughout.

Q: What will change on 15 June 2020?
A: 15 June inaugurates the gradual return to normalcy. Compulsory testing and quarantine will be limited only to travelers, irrespective of nationality, arriving from airports of affected areas with high risk of transmission of the Covid-19 infection, as assessed by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). The list is constantly updated and travelers should check before traveling (https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-0...easa-downloads).
All other travelers will enter restriction-free and may be subject to random tests upon arrival.

Q: What will change on 1 July 2020?
A: All travelers will be subject to random tests upon arrival. Additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date.

Q: Is there a difference whether travel is direct or via transit?
A: No. The same rules apply whether travel is completed directly point-to-point or via transit.
-----------------------------

What is confusing for me is the last question.

"​​​​​​Q: Is there a difference whether travel is direct or via transit?
A: No. The same rules apply whether travel is completed directly point-to-point or via transit."

So if I do London-Germany-Athens on June 16 I am treated as if I flew from Germany?
Read the red part above, it clearly says originate airport, that is London. The red section applies to London for June 15-30. The last question clarifies it, you will be treated as coming from London.

The only way that this may not happen is if in real life they don't check originating flights, or if you have separate tickets, and they don't ask about the last 14 days.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Read the red part above, it clearly says originate airport, that is London. The red section applies to London for June 15-30. The last question clarifies it, you will be treated as coming from London.

The only way that this may not happen is if in real life they don't check originating flights, or if you have separate tickets, and they don't ask about the last 14 days.
looks like a grey area; what if you have separate tickets and spend the night/ a few days in Germany ?

it doesn’t say there you aren’t allowed to be in the red zone country for 14 days prior to coming to Greece !
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:07 am

So is the UK still banned on 1st July, does it say when it will be reviewed? Thanks
Old May 31, 2020, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
So is the UK still banned on 1st July, does it say when it will be reviewed? Thanks
No one will be banned on 1 July except for specifically mentioned countries that they will add on a list towards the end of June. This is political as well with the UK, because of UK's planned 14 day quarantine .
Old May 31, 2020, 3:35 am

No one will be banned on 1 July except for specifically mentioned countries that they will add on a list towards the end of June. This is political as well with the UK, because of UK's planned 14 day quarantine .
OK still not sure I understand, can I travel there on say 5th July without a test or quarantine? Thanks
Old May 31, 2020, 3:41 am

OK still not sure I understand, can I travel there on say 5th July without a test or quarantine? Thanks
Won't know for sure for a few more weeks when the list of 'dangerous' countries will be published by Greece towards the end of June.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:47 am

Won't know for sure for a few more weeks when the list of 'dangerous' countries will be published by Greece towards the end of June.
Thanks, I read all the UK airports were on that list above that's all.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:56 am

Thanks, I read all the UK airports were on that list above that's all.
Yes the list is continuously updated apparently so I would be checking on that list every few weeks or so.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would imagine not, but wouldn’t you have to quarantine for two weeks upon your return?
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would imagine not, but wouldn’t you have to quarantine for two weeks upon your return?
No I wouldn't mind actually as we are retired, and it will be gone/amended by then, are you not following the other thread about it?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No I wouldn't mind actually as we are retired, and it will be gone/amended by then, are you not following the other thread about it?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html
I see nothing definitive in that thread apart from a few quoted DM articles, which is neither authoritative nor serious journalism. But the UK handling of this is indeed unpredictable. It may be gone or never implemented, but I think the bigger concern is that Greece appears to be very cautious about which countries it opens its doors to.
ahmetdouas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.