Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mcbg1
Iceland is opening to tourists from outside Schengen on June 15th.
Opening up to non-Schengen parts of the EEA is opening up to some tourists from outside of Schengen. Opening up on June 15th to foreign tourists not currently exempted from the Schengen ban? I wouldn’t be so sure about that yet.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:47 pm

We won't. I won't be flying abroad until next Spring, at the earliest.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The implications of that for US tourists wanting to visit the EU is pretty clear.

The EU is pushing for an internal opening by June 15th and otherwise by this summer for internal travelers.

Allowing travel for the average US passport user to play tourist in the Schengen zone is on the EU back-burner and the gas is not even on for that back-burner at this point with the above talked about “summer opening”.

Unless a US passport user is already in one of the exemption categories for the current EU travel ban, US passport users in the main shouldn’t get their hopes up for an opening to visit the EU even in July and a chunk of August. Or perhaps even after that.
And you don't think the American governemnt will have even stricter plans for us? I have been watching the broadcasts and many are now starting to blame Europe, including the New York Governor.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
....the only one that has popped up recently is the UK. All others have been in place since March, and are unlikely to be relaxed anytime soon to the extent that intercontinental tourism is possible this (northern) summer.

And note that US tourists would have to observe a total of 28 dates of self-isolation - upon arrival at their destination, and upon return to the US. It is a requirement that returning US nationals and legal permanent residents self-isolate for 14 days on return from any international travel . Given the US's ban on all non-nationals who have recently been in Europe from entering the US, you cannot view this as merely advisory or discretionary. If the threat warrants a ban on entry, then you should observe this requirement on your return.

Until countries advise that they are once again welcoming long-haul tourists/all tourists, it would be inadvisable for anyone to set out on "holidays". There is a risk that you will be refused entry if challenged for the purpose of your visit.
You could go on a month long summer holiday and spend the first two weeks sunning yourself. I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of an ask for some.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:52 pm
Suspended

DOG AND PONY!! We are getting along so well now. If only you could read though. ALL tourists will be welcome starting June 15th. That means EVERYONE. DOG AND PONY!!
Iceland is not a member of the EU and has even less clout than non-EU Norway when it comes to Schengen protocols.

Iceland has a wish to open to all previously admissible US tourists too and to do so by or before June 15th, but Iceland has little chance of being the change driver for opening up Schengen to US tourists. Iceland’s officials know this isn’t a done deal yet.

Beside the Icelandic quarantine or airport test/bill of health dog and pony show, Iceland wants to require US tourists to download and use their tracing app. For a country that has been strong on data privacy protections and personal data integrity, this is a sign that times have changed in Iceland.

Iceland hasn’t even finished up deciding how to work in quarantine requirements for US tourists and has said it may not know what it will do until some time in the end of May.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Old May 13, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The quarantine in US is not really a quarantine. There isn't any explicit law around it (trump's tweets don't count), and there is absolutely zero enforcement (except for Hawaii). No one should realistically be worried to visit the US based on the quarantine rules (except Hawaii). They can be worried to visit the US for other reasons (virus exposure etc), but not the risk of being locked up in a quarantine per se (except Hawaii).

The quarantines in other countries is way more problematic - it seems that other countries have actual real enforcement, upto and including putting you in a locked up govt facility (like India/Pakistan) or a hotel that you're not allowed to leave (like Taiwan/NewZealand). Absolutely no tourists will want to go through these enforceable and real quarantines because a holiday is not being stuck in a fancy hotel jail.
What do you mean? We're not allowed to fly to America.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by pt flyer
The US is a big place. Not everywhere is like New York City and not everyone is out protesting like the news would lead you to believe. There are huge areas of the US that have little to no Covid-19 activity. One doesn't really hear about them on the news. I just checked the latest data for my county. There have been 1600 tests, 19 positives and no deaths. A positive test rate of a little over 1% for those tested. I will say that we are doing a good job with social distancing, wearing masks, etc. Many of us do take this situation very seriously.

PS I have cancelled 3 trips that I was going to take this summer. It was sad, but it was also the right thing to do.
Yes but most flights into Europe come from those large cities on the East Coast of America.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Owenc
What do you mean? We're not allowed to fly to America.
A US Government travel ban is distinct from a state/local quarantine requirement/recommendation. The former may keep you from being legally admissible into the US, but the latter is its own issue even when/if you are legally admissible into the US.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by g289t
Statistically, the US is similar to or better than most of Western Europe. Why would the EU ban Americans? Belgium has the worst record of any country in the world. The other EU countries should be banning Belgians if they're looking at numbers.
Because your states are reopening and allowing the virus to spread further. They should not be reopening.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
2) No medical tests on arrival or departure of the flight - if there are medical tests, that runs the risk of you failing the test. Failing the test means, at best, your non-refundable holiday is ruined if you failed the test before leaving for your trip. But at worst, it could mean disaster if you failed the test say, at the flight back at the end of your holiday and are now denied boarding on the flight back home and unable to go back home to restart your job which risks losing your job.

Same as how visas and passports are fully arranged several days before the trip even starts (and then the visa/passport has to be valid for a few weeks/months so your entire trip is covered), any health tests/checks need to be several days before the trip even starts (so you can cancel and make other arrangements if you're unable to acquire the health certification), and that certification will need to be valid for the entirety of the trip for a few weeks because no one wants to risk being stranded abroad on failing the test when heading back home.
Good luck with that. There is no way to certify someone is "not" containing a virus any longer than one second after the test is conducted. Until we get vaccine. YOu will never get #2 .

Therefore, the only way I see this going down is testing, probably *both* on departure (although I could see negative test required to check in) and arrival, which is where it really matters..

Like it or not, I can't see, politically / health "theatre" speaking, countries opening borders to *everybody* (which means not US, snce we're in bad shape) without some testing requirement.

I can see a 1 day/night quarantine while test results are obtained upon arrival. The15minute tests aren't accurate enough. As long as the receiving country has enough testing capacity....
Old May 13, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Owenc
Because your states are reopening and allowing the virus to spread further. They should not be reopening.
But isn't this thread about European countries reopening? A European country = a US state. So what's the difference here?
Old May 13, 2020, 5:40 pm
Suspended

DOG AND PONY!! We are getting along so well now. If only you could read though. ALL tourists will be welcome starting June 15th. That means EVERYONE. DOG AND PONY!!
mcbg1 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
I'm not sure what you mean by 'small', but meetings are being booked again in Germany. Some states are moving forward with business travel and seeing an increase in hotel demand. Niedersachsen has had hotels open in the traditionally busy Hannover market, and the 14 day quarantine was overruled in a court there. I was reading an article re 'fair's in Germany which are a main economic driver, and they are trying to find a way to hold these in a new way ie timed entry, etc. So long as the ban on Americans is lifted by then, there may well be a chance it will go ahead.
There is supposed to be a major conference in Boston this fall in addition to the postponed Boston Marathon in September. Suffice to say that I think it would be foolish to have these events. And I certainly do not want Boston to become a global COVID-19 hotspot. All these large scale meetings should just be cancelled until sometime next year.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EU will open to Chinese tourists before American tourists. The issue will be China won’t allow them to go without a 14 day quarantine on the return which will drive down numbers traveling substantially.

No country is going to welcome people from the USA until they start taking virus containment seriously. Who wants to invite the virus back into their country through tourism?

I think the “travel bubble” idea where clean countries open up between each other is going to be the wave of the future. Hopefully this means OZ/NZ will have a bubble with China/S Korea before the southern summer!
Owenc and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by g289t
Statistically, the US is similar to or better than most of Western Europe. Why would the EU ban Americans? Belgium has the worst record of any country in the world. The other EU countries should be banning Belgians if they're looking at numbers.
The worst off counties are Belgium, Spain, and Italy in that order, with respect to COVID-19 deaths per capita. If the EU wants to ban Americans, they are seeking the splinter in the eye while ignoring the beam in their own.
BLV, 84fiero and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.