Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Iceland is in Schengen and part of EU freedom of movement. It won't be able to reopen to non EU as it would be a leak into Schengen. So it'll all depend on the collective Schengen decision.
The point is that this thread is about EU member states and how the Commission envisions moving forward on opening up internal tourism. Iceland has no relation to internal EU freedom of movement. Iceland participates in Schengen area which allows free movement between Iceland and Schengen area. This has nothing to do with EU freedom of movement as such.

I agree with your concern but that is a Schengen issue and the statement of yesterday is focusing on opening up internal EU member states borders and related.

Sooner or later that needs to be addressed but different scope and related to how to handle external borders (Schengen and EU).
Old May 14, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Doesn't change the fact Iceland is re-opening to ALL tourists. And tourists entering Iceland will then be able to enter other EU countries.
Perhaps you should read the publications dd May 13?

Good for everyone that Iceland is opening up for tourism. But that does not have to do anything with internal EU borders let alone with opening up freedom of movement within Schengen/no border controls.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Perhaps the best thing we could do is to assume everything that comes out of the mouth of a politician as "trial balloon". And be mindful of the proven proverb: "Watch What They Do, Not What They Say".
"We will have a summer tourist season" is all BS, unless proven otherwise. "First See, then Believe".
Old May 14, 2020, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by 8420PR
It is interesting to see the price that countries put on peoples lives. How much can I pay you to lose a parent, friend or partner? I'm not sure if you've seen television images of hospitals in Wuhan, Italy, Spain, France, London and New York? Treating COVID-19 like the seasonal flu will bring much worse images, as well as a significantly reduced economy.
I saw images of overwhelmed hospitals in Wuhan, and Italian hospitals so overwhelmed that they had to do triage and not treat some people. None of that happened in NYC or London. We were told to stay inside to flatten the curve, not until there were no cases anywhere. The curve has been flattened. As far as older people like parents who might be at risk, did you read my suggestions that at risk people and those who don't want to assume the risk continue to self isolate? What reason is there to keep healthy people under age 65 locked inside? Based on the statistical data of which we now have reams, they are at very low risk for serious complications or death. Why can't they be let out to restart the economy before it's so badly damaged that we'll be in a recession or depression for the next ten years?
BLV likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
France announced today that French citizens may go on vacation in July and August...in France. This accomplishes two things. One, relief for the people who have been trapped at home. Two, relief for the French tourism industry. It kind of forces French people to holiday in France.

They also announced full refunds in case the virus returns this summer and confinement starts again. The refunds appear to be financially backed by the government. This will be a fast shot in the arm for the French tourist industry.

https://www.20minutes.fr/societe/277...ouard-philippe
Old May 14, 2020, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I saw images of overwhelmed hospitals in Wuhan, and Italian hospitals so overwhelmed that they had to do triage and not treat some people. None of that happened in NYC or London. We were told to stay inside to flatten the curve, not until there were no cases anywhere. The curve has been flattened. As far as older people like parents who might be at risk, did you read my suggestions that at risk people and those who don't want to assume the risk continue to self isolate? What reason is there to keep healthy people under age 65 locked inside? Based on the statistical data of which we now have reams, they are at very low risk for serious complications or death. Why can't they be let out to restart the economy before it's so badly damaged that we'll be in a recession or depression for the next ten years?
If you want into the EU to play a US tourist during the time when this Schengen zone ban on most third country nationals is still applicable, then haven’t you considered ways in? Perhaps to try buy your way in somehow?
Old May 14, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you want into the EU to play a US tourist during the time when this Schengen zone ban on most third country nationals is still applicable, then haven’t you considered ways in? Perhaps to try buy your way in somehow?
Enlisting the help of a "Libyan Tour Operator"? I hear it comes with a free cruise from North Africa to Italy.
It will be a bit bare-bones though...
Old May 14, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by stimpy
France announced today that French citizens may go on vacation in July and August...in France. This accomplishes two things. One, relief for the people who have been trapped at home. Two, relief for the French tourism industry. It kind of forces French people to holiday in France.

They also announced full refunds in case the virus returns this summer and confinement starts again. The refunds appear to be financially backed by the government. This will be a fast shot in the arm for the French tourist industry.

https://www.20minutes.fr/societe/277...ouard-philippe
This may have a chance of working to some degree in France, which has a very diverse range of tourist destinations.

However, the linked article about the measures in the restaurant sector is not so bullish and casts doubt on the viability of reopening whilst distancing measures are still in place.

Specifically it mentions restaurants potentially having to remove two thirds of their tables to meet the 4-square-metre rule.

I am really not seeing how it is economically viable for the tourism sector to function while these regulations are still in place, other than in very high end establishments.

I think it's going to be a while before there is much worthwhile mass tourism in Europe.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
....worthwhile mass tourism in Europe.
"Mass Tourism" is never worthwhile. Certainly not the overcrowded insanities you saw last summer in e.g. Venice. Dubrovnik or Barcelona.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Enlisting the help of a "Libyan Tour Operator"? I hear it comes with a free cruise from North Africa to Italy.
It will be a bit bare-bones though...
Pay your way to get a private boat or plane so as to manage your way to parts of the EU to claim asylum. By the time they work that claim out in parts, summer will be over in Europe.

I have had friends in the judiciary in the EU come across US citizens claiming asylum. I am pretty sure they flew into Europe.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Pay your way to get a private boat or plane so as to manage your way to parts of the EU to claim asylum. By the time they work that claim out in parts, summer will be over in Europe.
Yes, but you may have had a very exiting summer vacation!
In all seriousness, I think summer in Europe for any tourists will be Vacation in Hell: restrictions everywhere, lines everywhere because of social distancing, potentially many attractions closed, etc.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This may have a chance of working to some degree in France, which has a very diverse range of tourist destinations.

However, the linked article about the measures in the restaurant sector is not so bullish and casts doubt on the viability of reopening whilst distancing measures are still in place.

Specifically it mentions restaurants potentially having to remove two thirds of their tables to meet the 4-square-metre rule.

I am really not seeing how it is economically viable for the tourism sector to function while these regulations are still in place, other than in very high end establishments..
It will work well for hotels and for bars and restaurants which are used to outdoor seating. Which is pretty much what everyone prefers in July and August. During the day, remember that the sun's UV rays kill virus so you do not have to worry about sitting down at a virus loaded table. And they will be sure to clean anyways after each customer. I am sure by July most people will be comfortable with this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:00 pm
Suspended

In all seriousness, I think summer in Europe for any tourists will be Vacation in Hell: restrictions everywhere, lines everywhere because of social distancing, potentially many attractions closed, etc.
I have my choice of being in the US or Europe this summer. I am probably going to remain in Europe for most of this summer but I expect that I would probably have more fun back in the US this summer with better bargain hunting/value for money.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:02 pm
Suspended

I have my choice of being in the US or Europe this summer. I am probably going to remain in Europe for most of this summer but I expect that I would probably have more fun back in the US this summer with better bargain hunting/value for money.
I was first thinking of going to the south of France or Croatia perhaps early September, but now I think a non-popular US National Park might be a better idea.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
"Mass Tourism" is never worthwhile. Certainly not the overcrowded insanities you saw last summer in e.g. Venice. Dubrovnik or Barcelona.
Well yes, that's true. Not my scene at all, but a lot of people do like it and it brings in the cash.

This. If this is the way it's going to be, I would seriously rather not bother. I am hoping to be able to disappear somewhere a bit (preferably a lot) warmer in the winter though, and if long haul travel is still off the menu I might end up stuck in Europe.

Originally Posted by stimpy
It will work well for hotels and for bars and restaurants which are used to outdoor seating. Which is pretty much what everyone prefers in July and August. During the day, remember that the sun's UV rays kill virus so you do not have to worry about sitting down at a virus loaded table. And they will be sure to clean anyways after each customer. I am sure by July most people will be comfortable with this.
The other linked article does mention the possibility of extending outdoor terraces. This could work in decent weather. Personally I much prefer outdoor terraces in summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.