Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
AmEx still doesn't issue them by default and doesn't market them. (As far as I know, only FT and myFICO know about them, and that's only because someone leaked the news here a while back.) US-issued HSBC cards are also very uncommonly seen unless you happen to be near one of their few branches, and Wells Fargo may be getting rid of it altogether. In short, contactless in the US is Apple and Android Pay right now; I don't see a problem with what the store's doing even if it is incorrect.
Amex is marketing them now on their Chip Card page (including a video on how to use it). Before it was some vague reference on some support page https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...signature.html

And I agree with AllieKat - terminals should include the EMVCo contactless symbol.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by D582
Amex is marketing them now on their Chip Card page (including a video on how to use it). Before it was some vague reference on some support page https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...signature.html

And I agree with AllieKat - terminals should include the EMVCo contactless symbol.
The EMVco symbol is great and all, but even small businesses who have the terminals with this symbol doesn't know what it means. I always seem to have to train cashiers every time. A little ridiculous if you ask me. Maybe first data etc. need to start putting Apple Pay stickers on there as well.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
A URL on a slip of paper that even I almost threw out when I first got the PRG? I wouldn't really call something almost no one will look at good marketing.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The EMVco symbol is great and all, but even small businesses who have the terminals with this symbol doesn't know what it means. I always seem to have to train cashiers every time. A little ridiculous if you ask me. Maybe first data etc. need to start putting Apple Pay stickers on there as well.
That's just bad training then by the merchant provider or store management.

A URL on a slip of paper that even I almost threw out when I first got the PRG? I wouldn't really call something almost no one will look at good marketing.
I don't know what slip of paper you're talking about. If you search for chip card on Amex's site that is the page you get where it talks about Contactless. That page never used to exist. Is it prominent on the home page? No, but is it more than they used to do? Yes
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what slip of paper you're talking about. If you search for chip card on Amex's site that is the page you get where it talks about Contactless. That page never used to exist. Is it prominent on the home page? No, but is it more than they used to do? Yes
This one:

Besides, chip has been out long enough now that people will mostly assume that their new AmEx card behaves like cards from other issuers anyway just from the above. I'm not sure that many people will really even bother to open that URL up on their computer or mobile device, but who knows?

Contactless should really be on their cards by default but either a) too many people will freak out and demand it be removed for that to be worthwhile and/or b) it still has acceptance problems domestically. Maybe the next version of iOS will shine some light on whether (b) has improved enough for AmEx to green-light EMV contactless on Apple Pay.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:39 pm

This one:

Besides, chip has been out long enough now that people will mostly assume that their new AmEx card behaves like cards from other issuers anyway just from the above. I'm not sure that many people will really even bother to open that URL up on their computer or mobile device, but who knows?

Contactless should really be on their cards by default but either a) too many people will freak out and demand it be removed for that to be worthwhile and/or b) it still has acceptance problems domestically. Maybe the next version of iOS will shine some light on whether (b) has improved enough for AmEx to green-light EMV contactless on Apple Pay.
Oh... I thought they were including a new slip that mentioned contactless. Nevertheless the Amex chip page used to not show anything about contactless and now it does. Maybe they will start issuing then by default in the future? (Or at least ask on the application?)

Amex could re-provision its US Apple Pay cards at any time to support EMV mode, so I don't think the iOS update would make a difference.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:34 pm

I went to this unbranded gas station called The Station and inside they have 4 total Topaz XL with MX915's. Android Pay and the Capital One Wallet both work there, but if you go over the CVM limit of $25 you have to sign on the piece of paper, unlike RubyCI places with MX915's where you sign the screen instead. Outside they also have very large full color screens on all their pumps. This station: https://goo.gl/maps/pCBmfhmr2yt There is another location of The Station and both are listed on the contactless locator. The receipt looked very similar to Sinclair gas station for the card information, but the site ids were completely different of course.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:43 pm

Inadvertently discovered that Mogl (app that gets you cash back or Hawaiian Airlines or Virgin America miles for dining at participating restaurants) works just fine with Apple Pay without having to register the MDN. I had lunch at Firehouse Subs, saw that they accepted contactless (or swipe, no EMV on the customer facing MX925) so I tapped my phone. I hadn't thought to check the Mogl app to see if they were on the list; if I had I would have just swiped the card. But since I didn't, I just tapped my phone to pay, and the next time I checked my email I saw a message that I had gotten cash back for eating there.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:00 pm

Used Apple Pay at Cinemark and it works great. Both concessions and ticket machines take Apple Pay.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I've tried to use my physical contactless AmEx as Contactless at a 76 (with Verifone register), Shell (Verifone reader attached to a Gilbarco register), and Tesoro (Verifone register) and the reader reads the card then promptly declines the card. The card works just fine swiped.

Also TA/Petro truck stops have installed the Walgreens-like Equinox terminals but contactless is not yet turned on.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I've tried to use my physical contactless AmEx as Contactless at a 76 (with Verifone register), Shell (Verifone reader attached to a Gilbarco register), and Tesoro (Verifone register) and the reader reads the card then promptly declines the card. The card works just fine swiped.

Also TA/Petro truck stops have installed the Walgreens-like Equinox terminals but contactless is not yet turned on.
You'd expect 76/Conoco/Phillips 66 all to be on the same network, but maybe not. Do any of these 76 appear on the contactless locator or not at all?

Speaking of those L5300's Love's Travel Stop uses those and it declines both bank supported Android Pay and the Capital One Wallet app quite fast after I press credit. The only card that works in the grandfathered Android Pay card. Casey's General Store uses the exact same pos as Love's and before it used to decline there as well and now Android Pay works perfectly at Casey's. I'm not sure what they changed, but it don't think it has to do with sending only one or both tracks of data as Capital One Wallets sends both tracks and it declines at Love's anyways. I also saw a grocery store on a similar system with the L5300's and NFC was turned off completely, not like it would work anyways, but the receipts at these three places all looked very similar that is how I know they are a similar setup. TA, Casey's, Love's all use Retalix according to wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retalix#Customers

Last edited by scibot; Mar 5, 2016 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex could re-provision its US Apple Pay cards at any time to support EMV mode, so I don't think the iOS update would make a difference.
It might--Visa Apple Pay cards are technically EMV-only, even in the US, and have been since Apple Pay first came out. AmEx could have given Apple a set of BIN ranges that correspond to US cards and told them to only support MSD for those until X date.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Inadvertently discovered that Mogl (app that gets you cash back or Hawaiian Airlines or Virgin America miles for dining at participating restaurants) works just fine with Apple Pay without having to register the MDN. I had lunch at Firehouse Subs, saw that they accepted contactless (or swipe, no EMV on the customer facing MX925) so I tapped my phone. I hadn't thought to check the Mogl app to see if they were on the list; if I had I would have just swiped the card. But since I didn't, I just tapped my phone to pay, and the next time I checked my email I saw a message that I had gotten cash back for eating there.
Microsoft Earn also worked when topping up my Starbucks Card using in-app Apple Pay even with just the PAN linked. Assuming Visa's card-linked offer system is supposed to work like this, I don't see why Shopkick fails to credit me for Apple Pay purchases.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering something about the MC map. Since stores tend to only show up on there once someone uses PayPass, how is it that scattered Walmart locations appear there despite not having support turned on? At least with Kroger and some of the other major retailers one could argue that their acquirers just added all the locations by default without waiting for a tap first, but Walmart doesn't even have anywhere near all of their locations on there.

Also, why doesn't Visa have their own map? I imagine it'd be more accurate simply because there are far more Visa cards than any of the others.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:36 pm

I'm wondering something about the MC map. Since stores tend to only show up on there once someone uses PayPass, how is it that scattered Walmart locations appear there despite not having support turned on? At least with Kroger and some of the other major retailers one could argue that their acquirers just added all the locations by default without waiting for a tap first, but Walmart doesn't even have anywhere near all of their locations on there.

Also, why doesn't Visa have their own map? I imagine it'd be more accurate simply because there are far more Visa cards than any of the others.
I know that Walmart uses First Data for processing, and generally First Data has contactless enabled by default on merchant accounts....but Walmart has chosen to be stubborn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.