Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
The Chase Ink cards (at least Ink Cash) are finally contactless now! Got mine, the logo is on the front only.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
It's great for those coming off the train at Penn, but you'll still need a MetroCard on the way back unless the other stations on those lines have active OMNY readers.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Can't speak for the other poster, but that flyer came with a replacement 360 card that was proactively sent to me. The new debit cards, in addition to being contactless, have no 360 branding on them whatsoever.
The 360 debit card I received a few months ago is the old version but has contactless enabled.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
It's great for those coming off the train at Penn, but you'll still need a MetroCard on the way back unless the other stations on those lines have active OMNY readers.
True, but by next year at this time it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I saw a guy walking around Valley Fair Mall this afternoon with a Google Pay logo shirt and backpack. He was going to various merchants and appeared to be doing test purchases. He also had a pack of Google Pay stickers that he was helping merchants stick on their payment terminals.

After seeing this, I was able to do a contactless payment with my CSR for the first time at a food court restaurant with a Clover setup. The problem with this particular merchant is that the Clover machine with the contactless reader is recessed and halfway behind the counter. The chip reader is not customer accessible, so it's one of those configurations where paying with a phone likely wouldn't be any issue whereas the cashier is inclined to want to insert the chip for you if you present a card for payment.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:04 pm
ra7

Got my chase Ink as well. When I tried to use at OM today it didn't go through. In the end inserted the card instead.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
In-N-Out with a debit card in Google Pay still uses the global AID as of today, so I don't think it's worthwhile to test PIN preferring cards again with their new software (as it's unlikely anything's changed on that front).

Also, 99C Only Stores is apparently able to do PINless debit. Despite using the local CU's MC debit card (online PIN preferring), a ~$15 transaction went through without needing one--and I got the notification email immediately, a definitive indication that MC wasn't used. Note that PIN was asked for when I tried the contactless UNFCU credit card there before. I'm not sure I've ever seen this anywhere else, but then again, I don't exactly witness too much debit card use (or use my own all that much).

BTW Apple Maps claims 99C Only supports Apple Pay but there was definitely nothing on the display indicating such. Guess that isn't 100% reliable as a source of contactless supporting merchants either. Anyone ever try contactless there and have it actually go through?

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Can't speak for the other poster, but that flyer came with a replacement 360 card that was proactively sent to me. The new debit cards, in addition to being contactless, have no 360 branding on them whatsoever.
The card that arrived tonight is exactly as you described:

In addition, unlike some other MC cards mentioned earlier, the contactless interface was usable without having to insert first. (cardpeek and via a test transaction at 85C.) It appears to be online PIN preferring on the contactless interface, too, along with (presumably) the contact one--at least according to a quick skim over what cardpeek spit out.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Not sure Speedway will be going to Southern California based on something I have heard recently. You may just be getting more Arcos (which would be operated by Speedway but not branded as such). This would explain why the CA conversions stopped at Bakersfield and they are currently working on Utah and Las Vegas.
A Shell by my house recently became a dual-branded Speedway/Shell location:

This one is one of the ones with a really small "inside" store (where most of the convenience store items they're selling have to be outside and only the register and 1-2 coolers/shelving units can fit otherwise). Interestingly they had a MX915 just for gas (presumably still running Shell software) and a second one just for inside products (Speedway branding and software, not to mention the offer from the cashier to sign up for Speedway's loyalty program). EMV contactless on the latter as previously reported and likely Quick Chip too. Not sure when/if they're ultimately going to completely rebrand and just be Speedway (Express?)

BTW I forget if anyone's posted a Speedway receipt before but here you go (tapped physical Chase contactless card):

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, it sounds like Chipotle is disabling contactless entirely. Though who knows whether anything on that subreddit is anywhere close to accurate (or permanent, for that matter, as they could still be waiting until they turn on EMV).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW, it sounds like Chipotle is disabling contactless entirely. Though who knows whether anything on that subreddit is anywhere close to accurate (or permanent, for that matter, as they could still be waiting until they turn on EMV).
So the way I'm reading it, OP in that thread used to use Samsung Pay MST but recently Chipotle staff got told not to accept that. Their new readers also apparently had NFC enabled at first but also they were told not to accept it and may have started disabling NFC and they've been directed not to accept NFC or MST with the new readers either.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Is there ever a reason to go to Chipotle?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
So the way I'm reading it, OP in that thread used to use Samsung Pay MST but recently Chipotle staff got told not to accept that. Their new readers also apparently had NFC enabled at first but also they were told not to accept it and may have started disabling NFC and they've been directed not to accept NFC or MST with the new readers either.
I wouldn't be surprised if some employees were letting people use phones to pay on the new terminals (and/or were tapping cards for customers) and ended up running afoul of Visa's EMV contactless mandate. Hence the losing money bit.

However, their whole setup sounds extremely flaky in general, so it's probably more that some bug is preventing transactions from posting.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

In a recent trip to Italy, Google Pay worked at every restaurant and museum we went to.

However, it would not work at any kiosk I tried (mainly Trentialia or Busitalia). At those kiosk's, a CSP (the card I was using for Google Pay) worked fine, with one exception, when an Amex worked. I found this odd.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Panda Express by my house is moving one building over and is currently renovating the space inside their new building. I happened to walk by the new one this morning and it looks like they installed MX915s. So, perhaps moving triggers an EMV upgrade? (Someone mentioned that a brand new one was magstripe only so I'm still not sure they're mandating it yet.)

Also, apparently US Bank adding mobile wallets as a bonus category to the REI credit card wasn't just to encourage spend outside of REI. REI stores themselves also support contactless now:

Originally Posted by scibot
Megasaver is the same way so it seems Verifone borked the EMV contactless on Commander. Same exact error has to mean they rolled out a very broken update and hopefully they will fix it. My WF debit card with ctls still declined with the same error as Google Pay.
The location I previously mentioned reverted their update and runs contactless as MSD only again. No issues tapping the UNFCU credit card today.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:43 pm

Receipts from Ahold supermarkets (Giant/Martins) now print “EMV Contactless” specifically on the receipt when a card is tapped
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor

A Shell by my house recently became a dual-branded Speedway/Shell location:

This one is one of the ones with a really small "inside" store (where most of the convenience store items they're selling have to be outside and only the register and 1-2 coolers/shelving units can fit otherwise). Interestingly they had a MX915 just for gas (presumably still running Shell software) and a second one just for inside products (Speedway branding and software, not to mention the offer from the cashier to sign up for Speedway's loyalty program). EMV contactless on the latter as previously reported and likely Quick Chip too. Not sure when/if they're ultimately going to completely rebrand and just be Speedway (Express?)

BTW I forget if anyone's posted a Speedway receipt before but here you go (tapped physical Chase contactless card):
Have never seen a Speedway with any other gas branding before. That is a first. They ripped the brands (Shell or Mobil or USA) off almost everything in NorCal (still a few USAs hanging around for some reason).

Speedway Express seems to only be on locations where the store is operated by some other operator and then the gas part is Speedway unbranded gas. These still use Verifone registers with MX915s and have zero link to the real Speedway. They seem to accept the Speedy Rewards card, but it does not do anything (no gas discount, nothing about points on the receipt, no way to redeem points). What you saw there with the Shell and the Radiant POS for merchandise is an actual corporate operated Speedway.

So since it is Shell branded gas, I guess the pumps do not have EMV like the Speedway gas pumps do?

I see a few other Speedway up now:
665 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad
314 E. San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro
2435 Otay Center, San Ysidro

I suspect they somehow could not break the Shell branding agreements on these for some reason...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.