Transatlantic Crossing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2024 | 9:42 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Randeman
At the risk of beating a dead horse, allow me another thought or two about your particular situation, i.e. putting in for upgrades. Princess Grille is a perfectly lovely experience. You are unlikely to be disappointed sailing in that class. As previously stated, on QM2, all PG suites are on the same deck and are the same size. Queen's Grille suites are usually occupied by people who can afford throwing money at Cunard or are booking them as a special treat. They easily run $750-$1000, per person, per day. Price differential in PG is due to the fact that some suites are aft and some suites are forward and might feel movement in rough seas. Don't be discouraged, however. Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise liner. The difference is, she was built to take what the Atlantic can throw at her. That isn't to say you won't see a ripple or two in your martini glass in the middle of a Force 8 gale, but it's nothing like what her same named predecessor (a slow roller), or a cruise ship would be like in a similar storm. I've heard some passengers book a January crossing in hopes of hitting a storm just to experience it.

Bottom line, I suggest trying the Princess Grille first and then try a Queen's Grille after--if you're okay with the fare. You'll enjoy a delightful and classic experience in both classes.
Thanks a bunch for all your advice. I agree with you and I doubt I would ever cough up that amount of money to sail in the Queens category. I rather take an all inclusive luxury cruise.

Princess grill is about the highest I would go. Forward or Aft doesn't bother me even on a cruise ship. I have a total of four Queen Mary 2 voyages booked within a 2 month period this year and hopefully I'm selected for the upgrades I select.🤞

Old Jul 27, 2024 | 1:34 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Thanks a bunch for all your advice. I agree with you and I doubt I would ever cough up that amount of money to sail in the Queens category. I rather take an all inclusive luxury cruise.
You're spot on. We're fans of Seabourn and Regent with an occasional Silversea for cruising, but prefer Cunard for Transatlantic.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I doubt I would ever cough up that amount of money to sail in the Queens category.
We usually sail Britannia Balcony, but we're sailing Princess Grill in September and I'm considering putting in a low-ball bid for an upgrade Queen's Grill.
Old Jul 28, 2024 | 5:28 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We usually sail Britannia Balcony, but we're sailing Princess Grill in September and I'm considering putting in a low-ball bid for an upgrade Queen's Grill.
Unfortunately, for me, I have to pay for two people on Cunard in the Grills. There's luxury lines that are more inexpensive compared to Cunard's Queen Grill selections,where everything is inclusive, and there's a reduction in single supplement on some luxury lines. For all my current Cunard bookings, I paid for two people.

Since you are a couple, I would consider putting in for an upgrade too!
Old Jul 28, 2024 | 11:11 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
You're spot on. We're fans of Seabourn and Regent with an occasional Silversea for cruising, but prefer Cunard for Transatlantic.
I've been thinking that getting from one side of the ocean to the other on a ship might be an enjoyable change from flying but I certainly can't see spending 12 or 14 days, let alone 27 or 45, afloat. Is Cunard the only line left that still does a more-or-less direct transatlantic passage?
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 5:32 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by henry999
I've been thinking that getting from one side of the ocean to the other on a ship might be an enjoyable change from flying but I certainly can't see spending 12 or 14 days, let alone 27 or 45, afloat. Is Cunard the only line left that still does a more-or-less direct transatlantic passage?
On a regular or semi-regular basis Cunard is pretty much it. There are trans-Atlantic cruises at the season changes but as you pointed out the crossings are longer than Cunard’s schedule.
henry999 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2024 | 9:46 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone have thoughts on cruising transatlantic on the Queen Anne? It’s leaving Southampton January 9th for a nine day cruise to New York, and currently is far cheaper than comparable business class airfare. $800 pp for an indoor, $1100 pp for a balcony obstructed. I understand the obstructed view balcony isn’t ideal but it’s also guaranteed to be deck 4 midships, which seems like excellent positioning.

It’s just not an ocean liner like the QM2 which is my biggest concern for a North Atlantic crossing in January.
Old Aug 5, 2024 | 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
This may be a very redundant question, but "formal"??? It leave much to interpretation - will a dress suit + tie. (i.e. what one would wear to a wedding/funeral or very important business event) do the work, or is it really the über American "prom for adults" black tuxedos (what we call a smoking jacket) and bowtie? [...]
Cunard just sent email to me about an upcoming voyage (not a Crossing, but I think it applies). Here is an excerpt, under the heading "What to wear" (on Gala Evenings), with emphasis added by me.
Gala Evenings are the perfect opportunity to dress to impress, in your finest black-tie attire. Think flowing ball gowns, statement cocktail dresses, tuxedos and three piece suits

Old Aug 5, 2024 | 12:56 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by henry999
Originally Posted by Randyk47
On a regular or semi-regular basis Cunard is pretty much it. There are trans-Atlantic cruises at the season changes but as you pointed out the crossings are longer than Cunard’s schedule.
Randyk47 is correct. QM2 is the only one of the four Queens that does the crossing on a "regular" i.e. approximately once or twice a month in season (mostly summer months). She takes a week to do so, longer than her predecessors did.
Old Aug 5, 2024 | 1:09 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by oopsz
Anyone have thoughts on cruising transatlantic on the Queen Anne? It’s leaving Southampton January 9th for a nine day cruise to New York, and currently is far cheaper than comparable business class airfare. $800 pp for an indoor, $1100 pp for a balcony obstructed. I understand the obstructed view balcony isn’t ideal but it’s also guaranteed to be deck 4 midships, which seems like excellent positioning.

It’s just not an ocean liner like the QM2 which is my biggest concern for a North Atlantic crossing in January.
IMO you're unlikely to need a balcony, obstructed or otherwise, in January, so that wouldn't be a factor--at least for me.

I'm assuming you're looking at categories DB and DC which are obstructed by lifeboats. I think the ones closer to the midship elevator bank would be nicest. Just keep in mind that the crew may be maintaining the lifeboats at times and can be climbing around them while they're in their davits. I had a cousin in a lifeboat-obstructed view balcony room on a different ship come almost face to face with a crewman working on one of the boats. She was in her bra and panties at the time, (sort of) fortunately.
oopsz and Global Adventurer like this.

Last edited by Randeman; Aug 5, 2024 at 4:23 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 5, 2024 | 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
IMO you're unlikely to need a balcony, obstructed or otherwise, in January
I had to look to see where you live. That explains it.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 8:39 am
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I had to look to see where you live. That explains it.
Ha - agree! We just pack for the weather - not going to be denied outdoor time ;-)
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 9:35 am
5 Years on Site

IMO you're unlikely to need a balcony, obstructed or otherwise, in January, so that wouldn't be a factor--at least for me.

I'm assuming you're looking at categories DB and DC which are obstructed by lifeboats. I think the ones closer to the midship elevator bank would be nicest. Just keep in mind that the crew may be maintaining the lifeboats at times and can be climbing around them while they're in their davits. I had a cousin in a lifeboat-obstructed view balcony room on a different ship come almost face to face with a crewman working on one of the boats. She was in her bra and panties at the time, (sort of) fortunately.
I'm booked in a single ocean view and was sent an upgrade to several type of cabins, including balconies that were sheltered and obstructed, and no way would I book any of them. Single Ocean View cabins on the deck 3 have two huge windows and secluded from other decks with cabins. Neither of those would be better than my ocean view cabin because you can't see outside (full-view) unless you go outside, which I don't plan to do in the cold. I also received an upgrade bid on one of my other cruises which is on deck 2 (single ocean view) with one window, so I ended up only bidding on the Club Balcony for the extra perks, and I can use the balcony glass like an ocean view cabin from the inside. I doubt I would be selected and will gladly stay in my comfortable ocean view. It's not an upgrade to go into a sheltered/obstructed view cabin to me, especially in windy/cold conditions.

But, I'll see what they offer me for my QM2 Caribbean cruise, since it will be a lot warmer outdoors.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 10:24 am
20 Years on Site

I'm booked in a single ocean view and was sent an upgrade to several type of cabins, including balconies that were sheltered and obstructed, and no way would I book any of them. Single Ocean View cabins on the deck 3 have two huge windows and secluded from other decks with cabins. Neither of those would be better than my ocean view cabin because you can't see outside (full-view) unless you go outside, which I don't plan to do in the cold. I also received an upgrade bid on one of my other cruises which is on deck 2 (single ocean view) with one window, so I ended up only bidding on the Club Balcony for the extra perks, and I can use the balcony glass like an ocean view cabin from the inside. I doubt I would be selected and will gladly stay in my comfortable ocean view. It's not an upgrade to go into a sheltered/obstructed view cabin to me, especially in windy/cold conditions.

But, I'll see what they offer me for my QM2 Caribbean cruise, since it will be a lot warmer outdoors.
As far as balconies go, if you're one of those people who spend a lot of time outside your room, I could see where a balcony of any kind would not be a priority. We like to have breakfast or, if that isn't an option, at least coffee/tea on our balcony in the morning (on sea days at least) and aren't in any hurry to venture out until around lunchtime. This is weather permitting, or course. That's why I need a balcony. If you have a single OV with two large windows, that's a pretty good-sized room. What category is that? I have to confess, I know almost nothing about Queen Anne. I know she is the same class as Holland America's Nieuw Statendam, called Pinnacle Class, but that's the extent of my knowledge. As I said before, I am pretty knowledgable about QM2 for the transat, but know little about the other three.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 10:47 am
5 Years on Site

As far as balconies go, if you're one of those people who spend a lot of time outside your room, I could see where a balcony of any kind would not be a priority. We like to have breakfast or, if that isn't an option, at least coffee/tea on our balcony in the morning (on sea days at least) and aren't in any hurry to venture out until around lunchtime. This is weather permitting, or course. That's why I need a balcony. If you have a single OV with two large windows, that's a pretty good-sized room. What category is that? I have to confess, I know almost nothing about Queen Anne. I know she is the same class as Holland America's Nieuw Statendam, called Pinnacle Class, but that's the extent of my knowledge. As I said before, I am pretty knowledgable about QM2 for the transat, but know little about the other three.
I was referring to QM2 solo cabins. I would only go outside if it's warm, and on cruises I have room service every morning and don't leave until about noon unless it's a port day, which I get off early as I can. I cruise for relaxation and to see new places. My cabin will be like the one in this video:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.