Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maximum Check-in Times with checked bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011 | 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton HHonors

What is the earliest time you can check in for a DL flight with checked bags? Some airlines will not allow you to check in if it is 4 hours prior to departure.

Thanks,
Old Jul 6, 2011 | 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum
This should answer your question: https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec.../requirements/
Old Jul 6, 2011 | 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by adamli9
I'm not the OP but I couldn't find the answer to his question there. Would you mind quoting it?
Old Jul 6, 2011 | 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not the OP but I couldn't find the answer to his question there. Would you mind quoting it?
+1. In fact I've tweeted this to DL assist and never got an answer. Would like to know this. The JFK friendlies wouldn't let me check-in (i.e. get BP or check bags until 4 hours prior).
Old Jul 6, 2011 | 10:24 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Off topic, maybe someone knows.....

But what's up with the 90 minute baggage check-in requirement at Grand Rapids? Seems awfully excessive!
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 1:20 am
10 Years on Site

I recently checked in at ATL about 7 hours prior to my flight, and they took my bag no problem (was quite surprising, and some friends on AirTran couldn't check their until 4 hours prior).
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 1:25 am

When I was flying MIA-LHR, I was told the earliest I could check my bags was 3 hours before the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Off topic, maybe someone knows.....

But what's up with the 90 minute baggage check-in requirement at Grand Rapids? Seems awfully excessive!
Security bottlenecks, apparently. There are a couple of threads on it around here from last week or the week before.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 5:00 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by cltcc
What is the earliest time you can check in for a DL flight with checked bags? Some airlines will not allow you to check in if it is 4 hours prior to departure.

Thanks,
How's this...quoted from Delta.com/Checked Baggage...

"When you arrive at the airport, you can drop off your checked baggage at the nearest baggage drop, marked with red "Baggage Drop" signage, or curbside check-in station (available within 6 hours of departure time).
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 5:06 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by cltcc

Thanks,
Hmmm...now..let me throw some conflicting information out there....
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ckin/index.jsp
Here it says that you can use the kiosk anytime on your day of departure and drop off bags.
LOL....as usual.....YMMV
Old Mar 24, 2013 | 9:29 am
20 Countries Visited500k15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Has there been a recent policy change in regards to maximum time allowed before flight time to check in luggage? When I asked the line monitor about this new policy, all she could do was point to the sign and tell me it has always been this way. Pretty sure it wasn't like this before.

Arrived at FLL, straight off of a cruise, flight not until after 5:30 pm, and yup, cannot check luggage so we can go to lounge. Not only were we surprised but about 50+ other people/families found out the same thing. We are lined up against the glass wall across from the check-in counters. Stupid policy IMO.
Old Mar 24, 2013 | 10:57 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Arrived at FLL, straight off of a cruise, flight not until after 5:30 pm, and yup, cannot check luggage so we can go to lounge. Not only were we surprised but about 50+ other people/families found out the same thing. We are lined up against the glass wall across from the check-in counters. Stupid policy IMO.
FLL is YMMV. The amount of cruise traffic totally overwhelms their baggage operation, and they have strict cut-offs for checked baggage as a result. The cruise ships drop everyone off at the same time, but some passengers won't have flights for 6+ hours. There simply isn't enough room to store all of the surplus bags all day. This issue is not limited to DL. Unfortunately, I can't recall what the current cut-off time is at FLL for DL.
Old Mar 24, 2013 | 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some outstations, including overseas, have no staff on duty until about three hours before the flight. SIN is one example where check in tends to open about two and a half hours before departure. Also, most airports close for the night, so if you have a very early flight, you can't check luggage before the counter opens for the day.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013 | 1:43 pm
20 Countries Visited500k15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Thanks for the comments and info. I was really unaware of this policy or flaw in their luggage system. I was aware of the overseas 3hr thing though. Go figure! LOL!

With the volume this airport does b/c of the cruise port, one would think they could put a more friendly policy in place. It isn't like you can hang out on the cruise ship until the appropriate time to check your luggage.
Old Apr 6, 2016 | 2:28 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Anyone had any recent experiences at JFK for International flight?

I'm looking to check in ~6 hours/drop off checked bags before our 8:30PM departure. We'll be at the general baggage drop not the Sky Priority area (unless we get past the dragon!)

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.