FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL announces SEA-ICN and SEA-HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1496118-dl-announces-sea-icn-sea-hkg.html)

yohanson Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm

[QUOTE=NWAFA;21321469]

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 21320115)
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/ima...11/7/68767.jpg

NWA is still far more recognized and better known than Delta (at least, in the part of the world outside of Atlanta). E.g. a DL DM tag does nothing, but my old NWA Platinum bag tag works wonders with the check-in at HKG and is immediately recognized by all staff.[/QUOTE

^

I miss those days. That paint scheme brings back so many memories. :)

Me too. I might have to go back to the NWA Museum by the Mall of America soon.

NWAFA Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 21322031)
Quick question, though... I thought we were done with all this NW nostalgia? It isn't particularly constructive or relevant. More importantly, as shown above, it is increasingly being viewed (as nostalgia often is) through rose-colored glasses, resulting in highly questionable statements about past reality

Well, for me, I spent 37 years of my life at NW. I'm very realistic about NW, no rose-colored glasses here.

There was time, when the ORD based FAs flew the majority of the "south of Tokyo" routes. SEA had Shanghi and New York had Osaka. NW also had the world's largest fleet of 747s. We used the '47 all over Asia.

The ORD FAs (me included) felt a little special. We'd all work the flight to NRT. The next day, a couple would go back to the states, the rest of us got our own '47 to continue our trips. These trips ranged from 4 days to 12 days long.

I was proud of the work I did and have very fond memories of those days. I have story after story of those days. Most good, some bad, some frightening.

Please, indulge me a bit when I go down memory lane. :)

I'll try to keep to a minimum. ;)

NWAFA

NWAFA Aug 23, 2013 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=yohanson;21325851]

Originally Posted by NWAFA (Post 21321469)

Me too. I might have to go back to the NWA Museum by the Mall of America soon.

^

HongKonger Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA (Post 21325965)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Quick question, though... I thought we were done with all this NW nostalgia? It isn't particularly constructive or relevant. More importantly, as shown above, it is increasingly being viewed (as nostalgia often is) through rose-colored glasses, resulting in highly questionable statements about past reality

Well, for me, I spent 37 years of my life at NW. I'm very realistic about NW, no rose-colored glasses here.

There was time, when the ORD based FAs flew the majority of the "south of Tokyo" routes. SEA had Shanghi and New York had Osaka. NW also had the world's largest fleet of 747s. We used the '47 all over Asia.

The ORD FAs (me included) felt a little special. We'd all work the flight to NRT. The next day, a couple would go back to the states, the rest of us got our own '47 to continue our trips. These trips ranged from 4 days to 12 days long.

I was proud of the work I did and have very fond memories of those days. I have story after story of those days. Most good, some bad, some frightening.

Please, indulge me a bit when I go down memory lane.

I'll try to keep to a minimum.

NWAFA

Don't keep it to a minimum. I love your stories. Keep telling them!

dtwtransport Aug 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 21326527)

^ Thumbs up here from this native Detroiter. I am loyal to DL but appreciate the stories from the past. I still remember trekking to the end of the old C concourse at DTW's old Davey Terminal when NW ruled DTW. Thank you for your posts, NWAFA. Cheers!

Arzakon Aug 24, 2013 5:25 am

0 Low BE Award seats on any of the HKG flights that opened up this morning, who would have thought. Guess I'll keep going through Japan.

pbarnette Aug 24, 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 21320115)
NWA is still far more recognized and better known than Delta (at least, in the part of the world outside of Atlanta). E.g. a DL DM tag does nothing, but my old NWA Platinum bag tag works wonders with the check-in at HKG and is immediately recognized by all staff.

Originally Posted by NWAFA (Post 21325965)

I wasn't speaking about you.

I was speaking about nonsense like the above quote. The petty bashing. The elevation of NW's reputation above what it was. The implications that check-in staff at a major airport are so ridiculously incompetent and lacking in awareness that they don't know the name Delta, despite serving DL and DL customers for 4 to 5 years now. I mean, seriously, we are supposed to believe this stuff? It is stupid and silly and unhelpful. Though it is funny.

I've never known you to be prone to the exaggeration and the pettiness that other posters exhibit. If you cross the line, I'll be happy to let you know, but for now, you are all good in my eyes.

Traveling Salesman Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm

I think this is great news especially the non stop service to hkg. The only thing I am wondering is, will delta be competitively priced, on the business class tickets. Currently most of the Asian carriers are half the price of DL for the same route. In my opinion I have and will give up the mqm's for a business class seat I can afford!

NWAFA Aug 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by dtwtransport (Post 21326813)
^ Thumbs up here from this native Detroiter. I am loyal to DL but appreciate the stories from the past. I still remember trekking to the end of the old C concourse at DTW's old Davey Terminal when NW ruled DTW. Thank you for your posts, NWAFA. Cheers!

Thanks guys! ^

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 21328071)
I've never known you to be prone to the exaggeration and the pettiness that other posters exhibit. If you cross the line, I'll be happy to let you know, but for now, you are all good in my eyes.

LOL! We're cool man! :D^

AlreadyThere Aug 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by dtwtransport (Post 21326813)
I still remember trekking to the end of the old C concourse at DTW's old Davey Terminal when NW ruled DTW.

(Shudder) unhappy terminal flashback... OK, I'm over it.

MSPeconomist Aug 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Yes, please. The long post by NWAFA made me remember taking one of the last NW flights from ORD to NRT that still had FC.

deltaflyer08 Aug 25, 2013 1:26 pm

It was just said that KE and DL will no longer codeshare on certain routes anymore.

randidliyo Aug 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by deltaflyer08 (Post 21333236)
It was just said that KE and DL will no longer codeshare on certain routes anymore.

link?

jimyvr Aug 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by randidliyo (Post 21333369)
link?

KE has cancelled most of its codeshare service on flights operated by DELTA since June/July 2013, while DL will no longer display "DL" code on KE US West Coast - Seoul from 28/29AUG13

ashill Aug 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by randidliyo (Post 21333369)

Originally Posted by deltaflyer08 (Post 21333236)

link?

Looks like this is the underlying cause for this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...are-class.html